Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3monsters

Contemporary v. Traditional Fireplace - opinions sought

3monsters
9 years ago

I am torn about fireplace choices and am looking for guidance. The one I wanted can't fit in my place due to clearance (way too much work to get it done) and I have a choice between two others. One is a traditional-style large gas fireplace:

http://regency-fire.com/Products/Gas/Traditional-Gas-Fireplaces/L965E.aspx

and the other is a more contemporary type with black reflective panels and either glass (I like the black or the copper) or volcanic rock:

http://www.regency-fire.com/Products/Gas/Contemporary-Gas-Fireplaces/HZ965E.aspx#

We'll be surrounding it with barocca soapstone (black with minimal white veining) to match our kitchen counter-top.Then I'll decide between a stone mantel or a wood mantel. I'm currently leaning stone, but that can change. The room is a two story family room that opens into the kitchen. Kitchen is a mix of modern (stainless appliances etc.) and traditional (cherry cabinetry in a craftsman style). The room itself has abstract art on the walls. Furniture is dark leather and area rug is a Tabriz with mainly burgundy overtones. We have a mix of traditional and contemporary decor. I am concerned that going with contemporary (i.e. copper glass) will provide a look that is quite time-limited, as opposed to the traditional logs with a brick firebox. Thanks for all of your assistance!!

Comments (16)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Your choices:

• 3monsters
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thx - yes, those are the choices. The "traditional" one would have red brick in the firebox whereas I expect I would go with black glass on the contemporary fireplace. :)

• erinsean
    9 years ago

I have the traditional fireplace but always wanted the contemporary one so that is what I would choose.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I posted the pictures because it makes it easier for forum readers to see your choices without having to travel to other sites. I can't read a description of things and picture them, so I can't help you with a decision. However, I wouldn't use red brick as it limits all other choices and you can make the traditional version a little more contemporary by using a cannonball or white birch insert rather than an oak log insert.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I like the contemporary one. It is plain enough that it could be surrounded by very traditional furnishings and still look ok. Don't dislike the traditional one but wouldn't use red brick...I think that is more limiting than the contemporary look.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I like the contemporary one. It is plain enough that it could be surrounded by very traditional furnishings and still look ok. Don't dislike the traditional one but wouldn't use red brick...I think that is more limiting than the contemporary look.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I like the contemporary one but that's where my tastes lean. The traditional surround is just much too fussy for me.

If you have cherry cabinets, depending on the stain, and with the burgundy in the rug, I would be concerned about a potential colour clash with red brick insert. What about a dark gray instead.

This post was edited by blfenton on Sat, Oct 4, 14 at 17:58

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I will be the dissenter. I love the traditional one but then I always lean towards traditional. I don't consider the traditional one too fussy. I believe it is a timeless, classic look. OTOH, I think the contemporary one is rather timeless also and would be the pick for those that lean towards a more sleek look.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Even though it's not a real fire, I prefer the look of the fake logs to mimic a real fire...but I lean more traditional than contemporary anyway. I would only go with contemporary if it were the predominant flavor in the rest of the home.

• User
    9 years ago

Couldn't say without actually seeing the room in question :-(

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

I would consider both depending upon your decor. And with both, changing the mantels would bring them down from strictly contemporary or traditional. The traditional seems fussy due to the mantel detail. My fireplace is similar. More than once I have wanted to beef up the mantel.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I have a split field stone fireplace so am coming at this from a bias where neither of those choices are in my experience--but I wanted to add a thought. I have been watching all these "contemporary" applications to the home fireplace and have been wondering how they will date the rooms. A fireplace is not an easy thing to switch up...they tend to be LASTING elements in a home. I am just not sold that many of the applications, like the one shown, will stand the test of time. The logical thing is to go with the one that best partners with the rest of the homes finishes and architecture. Without seeing more of your home this is a difficult call.

• 3monsters
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all! I really do appreciate your time. Very good point about the red brick background. We have another very traditional coal-shuttle type fireplace in our living room and another stone fireplace with logs in the basement, so we do have traditional elements in the house. I'll try to post pics (but am alone with my kids this weekend and am lucky to have a few minutes to have coffee in front of my Mac!).

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Second one by a landslide IMO.

BUT it depends on your decor and what the architecture is.

• User
    9 years ago

I like the first one, but I lean more traditional. As others have said, it would depend on your other furnishings.

FWIW, I do like #2 also and think it could work with traditional stuff.

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

I like the #2 contemporary one much better. I think it will look much better with a soapstone surround. Additionally, the traditional one looks a little fake to me. The way the black trim surrounds the faux stone and the way the stone curves in just does not look real to me.