mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

Do you have a favorite source?

Comments (29)

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I like

Decorators Best

Fabrics-store.com. I've bought linen from them twice. Excellent prices. Good customer service.

Lewis and Sherron. They have excellent customer service!

Fabric Guru. I bought the upholstery fabric for my DR chairs from them.

Fabric Mill. Although I've never ordered from them, I got excellent customer service once when I was trying to get a sample.

5fabrics.com. I've only ordered samples from them.

I have noticed in buying fabric online that the prices are all over the map and what is called Aardvark in apple red on one site is called Ant Eater in crimson on another, and Quadraped in scarlet on the third. Doing Google searches on images was how I generally found the best price - that and using a pencil and paper for keeping track of where I was and what the fabric was called and the price per yard.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

rgps linked the one where she found those great fabrics for her Rockies cabin, and it's very extensive. housefabrics.com.

IMO, the absolute best fabrics are Ralph Lauren's. But $$$$$.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I think the best fabrics will always be to the trade, but you can browse the lines on their individual websites. Scalamandre, for instance.
    Otherwise, I think it all about the same thing everywhere. If I find a fabric I like, I will google images so I can see it in different lights.
    And I think nothing compares to visiting a good shop, if only to get the scale and feel.

The newest fabrics from all those regularly available fabrics aren't always posted on websites either.

Generally I look at fabric on who has the easiest website/search engine and broken down into many clickable categories.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

This very timely for me as I am looking(and have been) for drapery fabric. Nice to see some sites I had not heard of.

The trouble with going to shops is looking through all the sample books...it's quite daunting and exhausting!

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

I've ordered samples from Inside Fabric and received them in 4-5 days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inside Fabric

• jjam
    9 years ago

I love Fabric Guru! Their shipping is very reasonable. No matter how much fabric you order, the shipping is $4.99.
    And everything is returnable. You have to pay return shipping but that's better than being stuck with 25 yds of fabric that doesn't work out.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! This should keep me busy for a while.

I am still trying to find a coral/orange print for the guest room project, to go with navy and white. I ordered the Scalamandre dragon one. It was a little more red-orange than I'd like, and sort of begged the question "why dragons"?

I know I should go in person but I find it so tiresome to go to a design center and through all.those.books.

• Patty C
    9 years ago

I recently ordered fabric from beautifulfabric.com to reupholster cushions for a chair I bought on cl. Their samples were a decent size and arrived very fast, and the fabric order was fast as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: beautifulfabric.com

• caminnc
    9 years ago

Love these guys! Best prices ever!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hancock fabrics

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'd be happy to take you fabric shopping ...books are dull, but fabric stores are fun...a real treasure hunt!

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Silverstonefabrics on Ebay sometimes has some very high-end fabric's at a very discounted price. They have a 100% positive rating out of over 5,000 buys. They ship fast too!

• vedazu
    9 years ago

If you're looking for high end, http://www.iluvfabrix.com is a very good site. If you want more choices, you can use LAdesigns.com and you get 40 off list. Sometimes you just want what you want, without going through a million remnants and roll ends to find the right thing! Also use Decoratorbest because you can find prices immediately.

I've used both several times--very happy with results with all purchases.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Another high end site: Sometimes superb stuff at great prices.

http://www.designdivafabrics.com/

• franksmom_2010
    9 years ago

Fabric.com is good for basic fabrics, and an occasional treasure. Great customer service and free shipping on anything over $35.

Good luck finding a coral fabric. I have a rug that just got moved into the living room, and I'd like to find a soft coral fabric to make toss pillows with. Coral must not be "in" right now because I have found absolutely nothing. The only thing I've found that I like is a floral, and I don't think I want a floral in that room.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

That dragon one is lovely, they have some unique prints.

• lam702
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the good sources! I am planning on making new window treatments over the winter, and wanted a good online store. I've made quite a few trips to NYC over the years for dressmaking fabrics, the 7th Ave area is the place for that, but haven't seen too many redecorating fabric stores down there. Just wondering, does anyone know of fabric stores in NYC that sell these types of fabric? Fortunately, I am not far from NYC and can take the train in. (always a treat to spend a day in NYC anyway!)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Here's a list of top 5 fabric stores in NYC...I went to mood once...it was fun, but I wasn't looking for anything special. Did get to see Swatch though...and they do have some decorator fabrics.

Would love to spend a day in NYC fabric shopping....

hpny2, I made all the window treatments in my house too.

Here is a link that might be useful: NYC fabric stores

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree with the poster who says coral is "out"; the pinkish kind is, no doubt.

Because I want a summery feel and I like white bedding, my starting point is the Serena and Lily bedding below. I want to accessorize it with a navy and white throw. I am looking for a fabric for W/T and pillows. I just ordered a sham to take with me when we go up to see how I like it in the room. If I do, then I can start finding a coordinating fabric for it.

I usually go either to Lillian August locally or the D&D building in the city. I think I'm a little burnt out from decorating the whole beachhouse though, which is why I'm thinking more mail order.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You can't beat osgood textiles in MA for fabric selection, but if you want more vintage, Chintz & Prints is good in CT...his stock doesn't turn over that quickly. But The Barn has their fabrics arranged by color and a quick spin through there will tell you if they have what you need. And I really enjoy a lot of the fabrics at Discount Fabrics....though I'm not sure he'd have coral...

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

I don't know how much yardage you need, but I have had great luck on eBay for high end fabrics. Also, this seller from Maine, Brick House Fabrics, may have something of interest. I did a search on 'coral orange' in the attached link, but I'd suggest looking at her categories by name to see other type which may be of interest.

The Barn has some older fabrics, but also some newer ones that are often named differently from other sites, and huge bargains.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brick House Fabrics

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, Coral is such a funny name. The Serena and Lily bedding is described as "coral" but IMHO it looks pretty orange, so who knows? I think coral is softer and leans more toward pink.

My3dogs,
    You are a genius. I looked through several of the websites suggested, including 168 pages from InsideFabric (tough work being a dilettante decorator). Yet your little search yielded two good contenders. Thank you! (and local to boot, which i always prefer).

Here are the ones I'm mulling over so far. If I chose the top left I would need to add some aqua somewhere. OTOH, that might be nice since there is so much aqua in the house.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I have the lower right fabric in navy. The background is quite oatmealish.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BBSTX,

ahh, thanks, I wondered about that.

Could be a deal-brealer

• lam702
    9 years ago

Thank you, Annie for the NYC fabric stores. My daughter lives in NY, so a trip down there is also a chance to spend time with her too. I like to make my own window treatments, because that is the only way I can get exactly what I want, but that requires finding a good fabric source. Thanks so much.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

My favorites are:

barrasfabrics.com

warehousefabricsinc.com

and I've also used My3dogs source with good results.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

There's also this P Kaufmann indoor outdoor, but it's poly and MAY keep people up at night.

Here is a link that might be useful: P Kaufmann Indoor/Outdoor Fish Orange

• beekeeperswife
    9 years ago

I'm totally obsessed with this right now. email if you need a sample. (navy, coral, darker coral, green, white) From Robert Allen (sorry picture on GW is crazy!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Beale Garden

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Bee,
    That's so kind of you! I like that fabric, but it's a bit darker then I want to go. Of course, now you have me off looking at the RA website! LOL