Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mabeldingeldine_gw

looking for a dreamy gray paint color

mabeldingeldine_gw
11 years ago

I'm looking for suggestions for a warm grey paint color for my bathroom walls, and a trim color. Should I paint the vanity to match the walls or the trim? (I wish I could use a pedestal sink but I need the storage.)

We are gutting it for a very budget renovation before we put the house on the market in a year or two to downsize now that it is just the two of us living here.

We will keep the white tub, tile the tub surround with the same white wavy tile Stacey Neil used in her budget bath reno. The floor will be vinyl plank flooring in an oak wood look which looks pretty close to the oak floors in the rest of our house.

If I can find a suitable bureau, I will replace the current vanity cabinet, but if not, I will replace the doors with inset beadboard doors. This is a teeny-tiny bathroom. I have not picked an accent tile but we're thinking wither gray penny tile or the Porcelanosa bubble tile catmom used in her bath reno.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Stacey's bath

Comments (18)

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Sample, sample, sample!

Thanks to the explosion of interest in gray lately, there are 43,583-1/2 grays to choose from. Undertone in your light conditions is key.

• chardie
    11 years ago

I vote for Benjamin Moore Rockport Gray. I've linked to my stairs, in western light. I can't believe what a difference light makes. I'm having a terrible time trying to find a blue-gray for my east-facing bedroom. You definitely should sample it first.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rockport Gray Stairs

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hah, Bronwynsmom! Actually there are 43,587 ugh. Chardie thanks for the tip, I will check that shade out.

I am awful at this, DH is better but he is stumped, too, even though he suggested the gray. I should mention the adjoining room is SW Garden Spot green

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Spot green

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Okay, what th' heck, I'll jump in!

If you have access to Pratt & Lambert paints, 33-10 Zephyr Hills is very pretty - light, and warm. And in the Williamsburg group, Tyler Stone Gray might be nice, although in some lights it reads more brown than gray.

B. Moore's Sheridan Gray in the Darryl Carter group is nice.

Restoration Hardware's Graphite is a nice mid tone, but can get quite lilac in certain light. If you want a dark one, their Slate is nice.

If you'd consider Donald Kaufman paint, which is not so awful spendy when you are doing a small space, DK-7, 12, and 16 are warm and complex.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

check out BM's Nimbus. There is something about that color...

I used it in two bathrooms. Others have used it around here too with great success. It works nicely with brown. You might also look at Baltic Gray too. It's on the same strip.

• mahatmacat1
    11 years ago

Balboa gray is what Staceyneil used; pearl gray is what we used in DD's bath and it is *so* chameleon-like...definitely worth a sample *in your light* because it changes to such an extreme. Both B. Moore.

• zen4d
    11 years ago

Have you looked at F&B Elephant's Breath or BM Pashmina

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These are all great suggestions. I'm paint shopping this weekend so will look at as many as I can find and get some samples. Thanks!

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Mabel, have you looked at the Restoration Hardware paints? Here's the link ~I know it isn't easy choosing any color. ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: RH

• User
    11 years ago

Since I have already searched, the color Stacey used was BALBOA MIST. ( tried searching balboa gray and no finds)

• daisychain01
    11 years ago

Just used Horizon grey from BM. Dreamy is exactly how I'd describe it. Looks great with our hardwoods.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

So many beautiful grays... But BM Balboa Mist is particularly lovely.
    I see a tiny hint of violet in it in some light.

BM Edgecomb gray is also a very popular light, warm gray.
    Michelle16 (GW Kitchens) used it very successfully
    as the wall color in her recent kitchen reno.
    It might be more serious than needed in a bathroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Edgecomb Gray kitchen walls

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, how did I miss Michelle16's kitchen reveal? Gorgeous. Love that gray, and especially the name as I live near Edgecomb!

These suggestions are so helpful. There are SO many choices at the paint store it is hard to get started.

• randita
    11 years ago

A couple of popular SW grays are Anew Gray and Amazing Gray. I haven't used either one, but I just see them mentioned a lot.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Michelle16's kitchen is so gorgeous and I love the wall color in her kitchen! It is amazing how paint changes color depending on lighting, what is in the room nearby, the sheen used on the paint and so many factors that the same color can look like a different paint color in a different room. All these beautiful gray paint colors has me wishing I had more rooms to paint. Let us know what you decide to use for your paint color.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, we went tile/paint shopping yesterday, but none of the trim tile options were speaking to us, despite 9 million choices. Online last night I found another option, but we may be moving into the blue zone.

Here is a link that might be useful: blue and gray tile mosaic trim

• ttodd
    11 years ago

SW Requisite Gray

Ceiling BM San Antonio Gray

I actually have a sample of BM Balboa Mist that I'm going to try this week.

I've also used BM Revere Pewter w/ great success. Currently I am experimenting w/ the wall and trim palette in this pic for a tiny bedroom & I really like it so far:

{{!gwi}}

Source: google.ca via Tiffani on Pinterest

This is BM Gray Owl

{{!gwi}}

Source: washingtonpost.com via Tiffani on Pinterest

BM Raccoon Hollow

{{!gwi}}

Source: housebeautiful.com via Tiffani on Pinterest

{{!gwi}}

Source: calloohcallay.ca via Tiffani on Pinterest

Good luck!

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Foxes, great pics, thanks! So helpful to see the colors in a real life setting. Your timing is perfect as we were talking about the ceiling color. Of course, then we started speculating about beadboard wainscot, too, as yet another area of sheetrock was damaged. Sigh.