Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nadine33_gw

Show me pics of DARK hardwood floors

nadine33
15 years ago

So the refinishing started today and I got a call saying that there were a lot of stains in the wood that was not coming out. I drove home and looked at a bunch of stain colors that would hopefully hide the discolorations. I liked the English Chestnut color (all Minwax) but it still didn't cover everything. I ended picking the Jacobean as it really covered up all the satin marks. Now just looking at the stain itself, it didn't see SUPER dark like I was thinking it might, but we are going to have 2 coats of poly over it which he said would make it a little darker. We have grey/grey (sage) walls right now and with this dark floor I'm thinking I might need to change my paint color. Can you please post pics if you have dark wood floors so I get an idea what it's going to look like?

I know I got 1 pic from my last request of refinished floors, but I'd liek to see ANY dark hardwood floor.

Comments (10)

• callaloo
    15 years ago

I have super-dark maple floors in my bedroom and family room:

• User
    15 years ago

We have darker brazillian walnut in our kitchen. We were told it's one of the denser woods to work with and it was a challenge to install (DIY) but the results are beautiful. Something I found interesting is, it's 3/4 inch ply and isn't stained, the color you see is the color of the wood with only a clear coat on top. Here's pics but please excuse the mess, we're a work in progress. This a close up
    {{!gwi}}

And this is standing back
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• debb
    15 years ago

It's very possible that the gray walls will be fine with the dark wood floors. THe contrast of warm wood tones and a cooler wall colour can be really nice, especially tied in with another accent color.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

We have red oak, which was really hard to get ebony! The trick (which my husband discovered and taught our floor men) was to first "pop" the wood with water (wetting them down opens the grain, allowing the stain in to better and more deeply / densely penetrate) and then using Dura-Seal in Ebony. The Bona stains just couldn't get dark enough, inc. their ebony stain; Minwax similar (and our floorman won't use Minwax -- go figure).

Closer-up (yes, the floor is dirty in this photo!):

• fieldser
    15 years ago

I agree with the above poster. to get the floors really dark, your installer has to "pop" the grain. Sorry, I don't have any pictures. We added red oak in the kitchen and living room and had the dining room and foyer ( combination of red and white oak) sanded and stainded. They look exactly the same and I love the look. The installer that I hired was the only one that talked about wetting the floors and "popping" them. He said that was needed for the stain to really penetrate deep into the wood.

Good luck.

Beth

• julienpete
    15 years ago

I'll have some very dark floors down next week. They are Mohawk chocolate maple. I'll post a picture when its done.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Hi Again!

I just realized I have a photo of the floors with our grey walls (BM Cedar Key):

Of course, the walls appear a bit lighter in the photo than they really are, but it's something. ???

• stubbs1
    15 years ago

RMKitchen, how many times did u stain your floor, to achieve that darkness?

• fauxdeux
    15 years ago

fieldser - when you water popped your floors, did you put down one or two coats of stain (before the urethane) to get dark floors?

• Gloria
    12 years ago

I bought the: Anderson Hardwood-Casitablanca Collection- Hickory-Hammered Clove. Not sure how to upload the pictures??