Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asam33

grout color question!

asam33
9 years ago

I am grouting tonight for the first time and asked my friends what I should use for the tile I selected (see photo). All of them said tan color. What would you guys use?

I bought some stuff and it has the color on the box in photo, what do you guys think?

I am not very good at visualizing.

The room will have oak trim and tan colorored granite top and tan colored stacked stone backsplash

Comments (17)

• nancyocean
    9 years ago

I have real stained oak and the cracks between wood planks look very dark brown or even black. I would choose the darkest color that's in the tile. Don't worry about any of the other tile or colors in the room. I think you want it to look like real wood, not tile, correct?

• deegw
    9 years ago

kitchenlover makes a great point. Plus dark grout won't need to be cleaned as often.

• asam33
    Original Author
    9 years ago

so what color would you guys go with? The darkest color is like that brown, is that what you guys would use? Or would you guys go with a black?

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

Black would be too harsh. IâÂÂd use brown if it were my house.

• User
    9 years ago

I'd go with a dark brown and agree black would be harsh. Tan would really stick out, IMO.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

After you think you picked a color that exactly matches go two or three shades darker. That's the trick of making it look its best.

Edited to add...you might try Expresso. It dries a tic lighter than shown on chit but is a nice dark brown. A 2nd choice would be chestnut brown but that may dry too light. Are you using Laticete?

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 18:27

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I think you should try a small amt in the most inconspicuous place in the room (and be prepared to dig it out if it's not right). I have site finished hardwood floors that are about that color and there are NO dark lines in them, so I'd be inclined to go with the light that you first considered. I can't copy this pic, but here is the link to one similar with light lines. Click on the last pic on the right at the bottom of this set.

Here is a link that might be useful: oak colored grout

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Here is one that is darker and with more variation of color than your tile and it looks like they used a dark grout. I think your floor might be too light for this look?

Here is a link that might be useful: picture source

• Olychick
    9 years ago

sorry, none of these tile pics will copy here! So I'm posting another link with a lighter floor and lighter grout. You just have to select the look you like that will work best with the tile you have.

Here is a link that might be useful: med grout

This post was edited by olychick on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 21:52

• User
    9 years ago

I would select one of the medium brown tones in your floor and grout with that. Not the darkest or the lightest, but the medium-est. :-)

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

There is one here called light smoke, I think that is what I would try.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Can you show an individual picture of the tile so there is not confusion? I have the grout chits right here in front of me. You canâÂÂt rush into this decision.

• nancyocean
    9 years ago

I was saying the darkest color in your tile should be used for your grout, error on the side of darkness not light. I didn't mean that black would work for you, but because of shading in cracks some of mine looks almost black. When you stain the wood, the stained area is darkest in the cracks. Mix a little grout with water and let it dry before you do the project, some grouts dry much lighter.

• asam33
    Original Author
    9 years ago

you guys are awesome, i went with a darker brown and love the way it looks - see pic. The haze is also no longer there. What do you guys think?

• User
    9 years ago

Looks great!

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

You did a nice job and the grout color is perfect.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

It looks really good! I think you picked the perfect color, too.