Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
likewhatyoudo

Exterior help - Yes or No? Pics

likewhatyoudo
9 years ago

I am trying to decide on my exterior facelift. I am wanting to add shutters and paint the trim around the garage doors in a charcoal color like the roof color.

The house was painted the all cream right before we bought it and is in excellent condition. We don't hate the house color but we will change it down the road when it needs painting. We want to add some contrast.

Yes or No??

BELOW: Current house color staying the same -->

BELOW: Photo editing with shutters and garage trim in a charcoal color like the roof and the brick under the windows and the steps stained to match the existing brick steps. -->

BELOW: House when we bought it 3 years ago, we have done landscaping, new entry steps, front door, window and garage lights. -->

BELOW: New door, window and steps -->

BEFORE: -->

Comments (50)

• rightdi_gw
    9 years ago

I vote for option 2! Love the contrast in color!!!

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

You are right on about the contrast--but the shutters I am not sold on. No I don't want to resurrect that discussion!! As a rule I like shutters--I am jut not sure they "fit" your style house.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Or you could paint the garage doors charcoal & add some shutters.

• likewhatyoudo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beverley - I hadn't considered the garage doors painted.

This is the inspiration house.

Yeah the shutters are really not appropriate for this house but I think the color on that side would balance out the house?? I had hoped the landscaping we did would be enough of contrast but I don't think it is.

Inspiration house:

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

A very definate NO on all of the above. Painting the garage door trim, or garage, makes it seem like it's the focal point of the whole house. It's not. Or, it shouldn't be.

Shutters on those windows is a big no. Both in sizing and style. They just do not work.

How the home is trimmed out currently is the best choice of those presented.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I vote for shutters! Without them, the windows are like eyes with a blank stare. As for the garage, I'd stick with your original thought of painting the trim. Painting the doors makes the house all about the garage. It's a crying shame that builders are pushing garages out front - waaaay out front - and the house itself becomes almost an afterthought. I'd do the trim and shutters and *not* do anything to maximize that huge garage front.

• likewhatyoudo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In the inspiration house the brick under the windows is not contrasting. Should I do the brick under the windows in the dark like the stair brick or just leave them painted as they are now?

Greendesigns- Do you have any suggestions as to what you would do to stay with the architectural style of this house. I am in Kansas and this house is the only one in the neighborhood like it. I like it being different and I accept the style of the house. If I where building a house it would not be the style I would choose. But it is what I have and I do love my house in its imperfections. I like having projects ; )

BELOW: house with brick under windows not changed to stair color.

• awm03
    9 years ago

But the garage doors are too prominent as they are right now. At least painting them breaks up the big mass of nothing and separates them from the expanse of bland concrete driveway. I like Beverly's mock up best, and would further suggest getting nice carriage house style doors too. If the garage is going to be a focal point (and it is here whether painted, trimmed, or neither), they might as well be beautiful garage doors.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The landscaping is very nice but all the same height. Do conifers grow in Kansas? I'd put a tall conifer or other large evergreen shrub on the edge of the planting bed to the left. Something with heft, not a skinny tree, that will weight the house equally with the heavy garage. No shutters and new garage doors with clean, contemporary lines. Maybe something that mimics your transom windows.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

I also like Beverlys mock up the best.
    With your mock up, I find it brings more attention to garages.

• likewhatyoudo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No shutters and no garage trim - just the brick under the windows darker??

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I like Beverly's mock-up. I don't like the trim around the garage door being dark.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

No! I like what both you and Beverly have mocked-up. Anything is an improvement over what you have currently (and I love what you have done to your home, so far), but just staining those few brick looks odd.

We recently added shutters and also painted our front facing garage doors a darker color. I think it looks good, and all the neighbors have commented on the improvement.

I like the way your changes, and if you are pleased with the change, then that's all that matters. ;)

BEFORE & AFTER

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 15:45

• likewhatyoudo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mayflowers - I like those garage doors that mimic the transom over the entry door. Would you do them white or the house color? My mock up looks silly.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

You have a very pretty house! Sometimes the changes have to be made outside of that (IâÂÂm going through this with my house). When the budget allows IâÂÂm going to have my driveway taken out and add a paver drive. Not sure if you could do that in the area you live. Other than that you could paint the interior trim bit around garage doors the color of the windows just to give it a tiny skinny bit of definition. I donâÂÂt hate the shutters but IâÂÂm not sure.

• User
    9 years ago

rtwilliams,
    You have the right idea about the main house section.
    You can't go wrong as far as highlighting the main house front, whatever you like,
    But downplay the garage. You want people to admire your
    house, not the big garages.
    How I love a house without the garages in the front of the home. On the side, or the back, or a separate building altogether.
    Anyway, just concentrate on the main house part, and you can't go wrong.
    It's personal taste. If you are happy, thats what counts.
    Downplay your garage.

• theclose
    9 years ago

I really like Beverly's mock up. Darker garage doors look really nice.

• chispa
    9 years ago

When your garage doors are 1/2 of your front facade they should be of equal or greater quality than your front door.

We have a newer spanish style house with front facing garages. It had a real wood front door and cheap brown painted garage doors. We had custom wood garage door made to match the front door. It mage a huge dfference. We also have a rear "carriage house" that was remodelled with the same custom wood doors since we can see this from our patio.

When something takes up as much room as garage doors do, there is no hiding it or minimizing it.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

There's no downplaying them, and keeping them plain makes it look like a loading dock. Stay with the minimalist lines and color of the house. No curved windows, handles, etc. so they don't compete with the arched entryway.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

The entry way and front door should be the focal point, not the garage doors...no, no, no, to painting the garage door trim darker because that is where the eye will go. Add more colorful shrubs/flowers in the beds by the front door. Paint the white trim around your front door the same color as the house, then paint the front door a brighter, bolder color so it stands out more in the recessed entry.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I would paint the garage doors or replace them with another style (and maybe paint those. The all cream paint is hiding the detail around your doorway. I think you need to add some of the color there too, then add some larger lanterns by the garage doors.

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

I agree totally with Joanie. Paint the front door a great color. Don't make the garage doors pop. I see no reason for shutters unless they are practical and used to protect the house from storms. Your house is lovely

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I agree with all those who said do not draw attention to the garage as it is already the most prominent part of your house.

I like the shutters idea but I also like wrought iron window boxes for the two left windows.

There is nothing bad that I can see in your garden design but....if you post on the landscaping forum you will get better ideas for ignoring the garage. You will even get a mock up so you can see the difference. I actually think landscaping has more influence on how we see our homes than anything such as shutters/no shutters
    In the end it is your house and you need a choice to please yourself and not the masses.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

shutters would be so down class on this house ... it would be like putting mudflaps on your mercedes ... lol ... yosemite sam mudflaps ... to boot ....

i had one weird suggestion ...

what if the door part.... i dont know the words ... the whole high entry way.. and the furtherest garage .. the one closest to the camera... where done in the darker color suggested in the pic just above ....

show me how ridiculous that idea is.. lol ... mock it up for us, please .....

part of what i am seeing.. with it monochromatics .. is that the builder went to a lot of trouble... to add all these facades... and the uni-color simply makes it all melt together... its like some marshmallow melding into a house.. lol ...

i saw this on the most recent posts.. i am dabbling.. feel free to go at the suggestions ....

ken

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

You've done a really nice job on the landscaping, steps and front door decor. Love the seasonal displays! I'd move the house numbers adjacent to the entry way.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Here's just the door area roughly mocked up

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Pretty house!

It looks to me as though the garage doors are a bit more than 50% of the total width of the house, so imho downplaying them will not work.

Instead, I would up the ante on the doors, and repeat the transom you have over the door in a new garage door. I might also plant some vines.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

IâÂÂm not sure if this would work in your situation as I canâÂÂt see the details around the transom windows above your front door. However, in my last house I painted the front door eggplant and brought it right up around the transom windows above. You may need something not so dark.

Edited to addâ¦oh I see now that you would need some masonry surrounds. Quick inexpensive fix if you wanted to go that route.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 22:52

• likewhatyoudo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am taking all the suggestions in! Really appreciate everyone's input.

Mayflower - yes we can grow evergreens but we have a river birch tree on that corner that we planted last fall just out of view in the picture of the house. Wish we had planted it a little closer to the house. the landscaping is pretty immature but has grown tons since it was planted. I am hoping the holly that we planted behind the knockout roses takes off and fills in some of the dead space under those windows.

I am thinking maybe try some mockup of different garage doors and not doing shutters. Maybe garage doors with windows? I will work on a mock up tomorrow.

Newhomebuilder - wow your garage doors look awesome. Such a pretty home

ken -adrian - "shutters would be so down class on this house ... it would be like putting mudflaps on your mercedes ... lol ... yosemite sam mudflaps ... to boot .... " LOL so you don't think i should do shutters??

jterrilyn , sixtyohno and lascatx - I adore my black door! It really looks great in person and not dark at all. I think the photo that I took when it was overcast makes it appear dark in the entry way. That arch area is huge-overscale not dark at all.

Below: landscape last year it has grown but still need to mature -->

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

A big NO to white garage doors! That would totally cheapen the look of the house. I'm thinking that you need a tree closer to the house on the left side.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I like the interest and color the shutters add to the left side of the house, but they are all wrong for the style of your home. I would add some height through landscaping toward the corner of your house and a trellis between the windows with something beautiful growing on it. Paint it whatever contrasting color you end up choosing.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

That does look nice in that color. How about making it more of a focal? It really takes your eye away from the garage doors and looks very grand.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Have you considered painting your window trim a gray or something darker? Also, maybe your entry way? Just some rough ideas?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Your mature landscaping will add plenty of color and texture and bring the focus back to the front door. You've put a good-sized tree on your corner. Often people put a small ornamental tree on the corner, and that isn't enough to anchor a two-story home. I might have put a barberry on the corner instead of the grasses, but I can't really see what all is there. But if you do need to add or move anything, do it now so you won't be digging into the birch's root zone as it matures.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Upon seeing your latest picture I think it is good as it is. Wish we had seen that picture first. I think the grass and the landscaping balance with the garages.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

What about something like this ivy growing over garage doors.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Would not outline the windows or garage doors in that harsh dark color. A softer tan might work, although I'm not sure that would give you the look you want. Would not paint the garage doors any contrasting color.

If you pick two paint colors fairly close together you might be surprised at the nice definition a tone on tone color scheme can give to a house with minimal trim.

• voila
    9 years ago

Would it be possible to paint only your square columns in white to match the window trim? On my last home, the trim was a cream color. My husband (the painter), insisted that the columns be white. He was right. There's always a first time for everything. ; )

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I vote a strong no on shutters, too.

I have a few ideas, some already mentioned. First, I thought of trimming out the windows in a softer color -- like Beverly27's example, or a pale green or a darker shade of the house color (my choice). I would also do the front door area in the same color -- if not painting the area the same color as the door.

Second, I think that painting the portico in another shade of the house color would be good. Whether darker or lighter, I don't know, would need a photoshop to see. But it probably should match window trim. And just a simple paint job-- not with the detail that Lascatx demonstrated. Or even maybe just the upper half?

Then, don't paint the garage doors -- they would blend into the background more if the portico, door and windows were popping, I think. (But, if you can, the idea of new garage doors that mimic the entryway windows is good)

When I was looking at the picture with the immature plants I was thinking that you needed a short trellis under the left windows, and a tall one on the garage wall, in a shape that echoes the portico. But looking back at a more current picture now I don't think so. However, a corner trellis on the left end might work to balance the house a bit.

I'll look forward to seeing any photoshops and the final outcome!

• newgardener_in_zone4
    9 years ago

Just an idea if your garage doors are in good condition but you want to change the look. I know it is possible to have windows cut into existing garage door panels. That may be a relatively inexpensive Change with a big impact.

• likewhatyoudo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Until I posted for help with my house facelift it never occurred to me that my garage was a issue - except that is one of the few 3 car garages that has the single garage on the homes entry side and the 2 car stall on the other side! Most 3 car garages around here are opposite of mine and most of the homes here are 3 car garages and they are prominent. I guess you get used to seeing something that you see everywhere.

My biggest issue I thought was the lack of contrast on this vanilla house. : ) shutters or no shutters was my biggest concern.

Kswl - I like the idea of a shade or two lighter to go around the garage doors. maybe that's what it needs to be more cohesive. I love neutrals, black, white and beige. With my landscape and flower pots being the accent.

In this mockup I moved the house numbers, added windows to the garage doors and stained the remaining steps on the porch. If anyone can photo shop the trim around the garage doors to white instead of the cream that would be something I would want to see. When I mock it up it doesn't look good.

BELOW: I moved the house numbers, added windows to the garage doors and stained the remaining steps on the porch.

Below: house as is today to make it easier to see what we are dealing with ; )

9 years ago

ken -adrian - "shutters would be so down class on this house ... it would be like putting mudflaps on your mercedes ... lol ... yosemite sam mudflaps ... to boot .... " LOL so you don't think i should do shutters??

==>>> yeah ... lol.. at least i got my point across ...

i was just getting a hate on for mine earlier this week ... fighting wasps ... dirt accumulators ... PIA ....

but not really an option to get rid of them.. on my house ...

my only other usual thought ... is to scan the area... for similar houses... and steal ideas .... lol.. i have no shame ... you never know where you will pick up a color scheme.. not necessarily the colors you like/want .... but a scheme ... which is what we are talking about ...

lastly.. as a hardcore gardener ... to my eye... you have ... another cliche.. a million dollar house.. and a thousand dollar landscape ... based on the height of the house.. and the prominence of the portico [the word i could not come up with yesterday] ... you have no vertical accents in the landscaping ... off to the left.. if you had some trees/conifers that had potential to grow skyward.. and echo the portico .... it would help anchor the house.. to the lot .... IMHO .... and it is complicated ...by the sidewalk to the garage ... because you cant plant anything of size near the garage.. where i would prefer to ....

i cant see your pic because i already hit preview.. and my computer is going nuts.. because i have to do an update .... will finish this later ...

wait.. one final thought.. that house doesnt look that old... i wonder why they needed to slap paint on it.. for sale??? ... any idea.. perhaps your location???

good luck

ken

• likewhatyoudo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ken_adrian - We bought this property from Fannie Mae after it had been foreclosed on it had been vacant for 2 1/2 years. We are the 3rd owner and it was built in 2003. This house is not like any other in our neighborhood. It really stands out and our challenge has been to try to make it fit in or at least not be an eye sore. The previous owners had done no landscaping other than some random shrubs and white gravel in front. We are on a large double corner lot and have done renovations inside and extensive landscaping.

We have implemented most of this landscape plan except the corner area in front and the large trees on the side and front. We are hoping as this matures it will ground the house.

Hopefully the spruces on the side of the house will help ground the home when we get them planted. Hoping to get them in by next weekend.

BELOW: landscape plan. We have done all of this except for the corner area in front and the large trees on the side and front. Hopefully the large spruces on the side of the house will help when we get them planted.

This post was edited by rtwilliams on Thu, Oct 16, 14 at 14:20

• likewhatyoudo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I spent the weekend getting the steps redone. Hope to get the house number moved. A new garage door is not on the list of to dos. I actually have come to embrace my exterior as it is now that the steps are done I kinda love it!

BEFORE: Painted white brick steps

AFTER: Brick steps painted to match the new brick steps

9 years ago

glad i stopped back ...

i THINK ... the two tress i was dreaming about... are on your plan .. but not in the lawn yet ...

the one out near the sidewalk at about 7 oclock on the drawing ... and the one half way in to the house from the latter ...

i cant read what the plan says they are ... i hope they are something out of the ordinary .... might get some ideas in the tree forum .... or conifer forums....

your plantings are very nice... two green thumbs up ... but they hug the foundation... and do not provide much vertical ... that is something to think about.. over the years.. i do see some smallish trees... which might serve the purpose... and they just need time to grow ...

i wish.. [yes i live in a world of i wish.. lol] .... the birch on the corner of the house had been planted another ten feet from the house... but that might be an issue in a decade or two ... or three .. NBD ... no big deal ...

enjoy your new place ....

good luck ...

ken

• Christy Bell
    9 years ago

I like the very first picture. Didn't think I'd like the shutter idea, but I think it looks great.

• rockybird
    9 years ago

You have a lovely house! I love your landscaping. I think your recent changes are right on. I wouldnt have added shutters or painted the garage or trim. I think it's looking fantastic!

• suska6184
    9 years ago

Your house is pretty and a ton of suggestions have already been offered. Only one thing I would add- please do not change the house number like in the mock up. I have many emergency response family members and friends who would all say that is not good placement of your address. Hard to tell the size from a picture, but I think I would even make them bigger.

• likewhatyoudo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We worked on the house a little more this weekend.

suska - We moved the house numbers, what do you think? They are in the the new location and a tiny bit larger.

We topped the landscape mulch with some fresh mulch and painted the garage trim a few shades lighter as kswl suggested.

The garage trim color shade change doesn't show up in the pictures very well, it is subtle.
    I think other than the spruce trees that we need to buy we are done - at least for now!

Thanks for everyone's input. When we get to the point of painting the whole house and a few years I will be back for more help. Next project will be the Master bath and Hall bath.

BEFORE:

This post was edited by rtwilliams on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 23:39

• patriceny
    9 years ago

Any home that has a well-loved Westie in it is a good home. :)

I think your house is beautiful!