Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Sun-room floor, can I paint?

jane__ny
15 years ago

Could I paint this plywood floor with a deck paint and put an area rug on top?

I have posted before regarding this sun-room. Considered tile, vinyl or carpeting but all are too expensive. I'm putting the house on the market in Spring and want the room to look clean and fresh. How do you think it would look?

The room is approx. 14x20

{{!gwi}}

Plywood floor:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Jane

Comments (11)

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

I've seen it done and it can look great. The buyers would probably prefer to choose their own flooring anyway. Its a sunroom so it doesn't need much to show it off.

• teacats
    15 years ago

Yes!! Paint it with deck or outdoor paint -- a couple of coats -- and then simply add a sisal or rag rug to draw the room together!

• graywings123
    15 years ago

I have seen some wonderful examples of painted floors - some of them posted on this forum, I believe. If you do it up fancy enough, you could skip the area rug.

• beach_rose
    15 years ago

So that is an underlayment, not a subfloor? The short answer seems to be that yes,you can paint that plywood. I am planning to do the same using porch and deck paint in one section of my finished basement.

However, because you plan to sell your home in the near future, you might want to know that I asked a similar question (regarding my porch/sunroom) on the flooring forum last year as I expect to install tile later, and was advised not to contaminate the subfloor (in my case) with paint or glue if I was planning to tile over it in the future. The explanation was that "paint is a bond breaker ..so you can't go back and use a thinset or an adhesive later on without sanding the paint off". The implication is that applying paint will limt the options or complicate things for the buyer. Best check before you apply paint.

• jessie21
    15 years ago

I would totally paint it and I think it will look great. Your house will sell and if the new owners want to change it, they can replace or cover the plywood if it turns out to be necessary.

• metromom
    15 years ago

if it looks half this good, you'll be all set (definitely check this out because it is a sunroom too and has instructions for what they did):

http://www.thisyounghouse.com/2008/08/how-to-paint-a-floor/

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much! Metromom, thanks for the link, what a beautiful job he did. He painted over concrete and I'm assuming the same goes for wood. Beach rose, I never thought about putting tile over paint. I'm sure whoever buys it will put tile, but they will have to deal with the floor. Might be easier to lay more plywood on top. I call this a subfloor because I don't believe there is anything beneath it except the porch beams. This deck is 2 stories high (house is built on a hill), and I think this plywood is it.

Would appreciate any color suggestions. Maybe that brown would work. Was thinking more beachy look, except for a wicker table, I really don't have furniture. I've always filled the room with plants on benches.

Jane

• japhynmarley
    15 years ago

In my sunroom (which was very almost identical to yours) I painted the plywood floor with a tan paint. I blended white paint in as I went so that you could see both colors throughout. I then covered the floor with inexpensive cream colored bound berber rugs. It looked good - finished enough not to be noticed.

I used regular paint that I had left over from other projects. The tan was a RL semigloss and the white was whatever I had. It held up well and was easy to clean...
    Goodluck!

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

I think it is a great idea. You could also have some fun. I love diamond shaped painted floors.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    Smiles:)

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, I love those. I wonder how you do that. I suppose painters tape to make the design. This is turning out to be fun compared to all the other stuff I have to figure out. Japhy, do you have a photo? I have no idea what color. I was thinking walls a soft blue/grey or maybe a light beige?

Take a look at my room again. I'm hanging a ceiling fan from the center. But I need a color scheme.

Thanks so much again. I have so much to do with the house, I'd love to get one room finished.

Jane

• beach_rose
    15 years ago

Jane, I was not attempting to discourage you from painting your floor. I just wanted to share what I learned through my own experience, because you had mentioned that you once considered using tile. Also, whoever buys the house might choose a floating floor and the paint wonÂt make a difference.

Although I decided not to use paint on my porch/sunroom, I plan to go ahead with painting the plywood floor in the finished basement. Like you, I am contemplating a beachy (or summery) look, especially since I am on the coast. I thought about a distressed white or a gray similar to weathered shingles or weathered wood (ThereÂs so much of it around here). The patterned floors look great and seem like fun. The possibilities are endless. You can use stencils or sponging. You can also paint a faux area rug. This year I donÂt have the time or patience to attempt a pattern, but I am trying to learn decorative painting and maybe soon I can acquire the skills to attempt a pattern. For now, the painted floor is something inexpensive to go under area rugs.

IÂm no help with a color scheme, but your wicker serving cart is great and will probably look good no matter what colors you choose. With area rugs, lots of plants and that lovely wicker cart, the floors donÂt have to be noticeable unless the paint looks really good.