Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maddielee49

Identifying marks- Ethan Allen Furniture

maddielee
15 years ago

Help.

Does anyone know if Ethan Allen ever 'marked' its furniture with a brass or metal plate?

The few pieces that we own are marked with a burnt in "Ethan Allen". (Burned into the inside of the wood.)

I'm considering a cl find, and the seller says that the buffet has a metal plate that reads; "Ethan Allen".

Thanks for any info you can share.

Comments (20)

• igloochic
    15 years ago

My pieces from the 40's are all burnt in (on the back of the pieces).

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Does the piece also say Baumritter? I don't know if they ever used a metal plate but there was a short period of time when the pieces used dual branding - Ethan Allen/Baumritter.

• jen9
    15 years ago

I have a bedroom set that dates from the 1970's & it the EA name is burned into the wood inside a drawer. I have kitchen chairs that are roughly 5 years old & they have nothing more than a fabric sticker on the underneath of the seat. (I purchased them directly from EA).

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

I just sold an EA bedroom set from the 70s and this is the only kind of marks I found on any of the pieces.

{{!gwi}}

Jodi-

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

My newer EA pieces all have the mark burnt in.

• maddielee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you to all who answered.

I think the piece may not be authentic, and it is overpriced. (If the seller had offered the piece without the EA reference and at a reasonable price she may have had a buyer).

I've tried to join an Ethan Allen owners forum for info, but am having trouble with that website.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

I am curious if you know the history behind the chinoiserie table. I own an Ethan Allen piece so I have researched the history of Ethan Allen of course. I never came across anything about a metal plate used. How old it the piece? How long did they use them? Was it only on certain pieces or was there a "metal plate period"?

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

Here's the deal with EA's chinoisiere pieces vs. their wood pieces and upholstered pieces. The wood pieces are fabricated in the United States, the chinoisiere pieces are subbed out and built in China. The upholstered pieces are assembled in the US, but the fabric is manufactured in India. They may use the metal plates on the pieces that are not made in the US.

• monet300
    7 years ago

I have had Ethan Allen furniture since the 70s I've been collecting since, this is what I know. E.A. made furniture and all accessories from the 20s to the 80s after mid 80s E.A. Passed and His Son took over the business, He changed the style to a very simple type, I think to appeal to a larger base, it was then that the furniture was produced in China, that's right China! So when you ask about markings, I need to know what type of furniture your asking about!

If it was before the mid 80s then only the lamps would have had a metal name, and that wouldn't of said Ethan Allen, it would of had the makers name of the company on it! Please remember that Than Allen was a small based American made company they used only state side furniture makers for their pieces, and only the best at what ever they did. Then they were given the stain receive to make the items that they were good at! If you're metal Ethan Allen mark is on something other than a lamp it is a 1990 or newer piece and made in China! Hope this helps

• 3katz4me
    7 years ago

Ya, my piece from the early 90's has the name burned in.

• Daniel Rodriguez
    6 years ago

I have what I believe is an Ethan Allen piece but it was given to me ages ago when I was a kid, it's a cogwheel table, what I'd like to know is where I would find the stamp?

• PRO
    Popham Construction
    5 years ago

We have several Ethan Allen pieces from the 80s and 90s that have metal plates. One is a media cabinet— the type that held one of those big heavy TVs and had an area for a DVD player and tape storage in the bottom cabinet section.

• seventhseance
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

So if the name isn’t burnt into the wood, it is definitely a fake right? So far I haven’t found much on fake furniture from Google. I have a wooden 1784 with the Abel including swords on top of the box. But that’s the only marking on it, I was wondering if it was refurbished because the bottom of it looks too nice compared to the rest of it. Please help!!

• PRO
    Michelle Scott for Ethan Allen - Laguna Niguel, CA
    3 years ago

Post a photo of the piece - As was stated above - imported pieces can have a metal plate. As for the person who said when Ethan Allen passed and the company went to his son... Well, that's just silly! The company was named Ethan Allen after the revolutionary war hero, because of the Early American connection. Ethan Allen still makes about 70% of it's product in the US - and the made in the US items still have the branded logo. There's a link at the bottom for more on the history of the company.

Ethan Allen History

• ktgeb
    2 years ago

I have a piece that I bought at Ethan Allen that had a metal plate!

• HU-728395328
    last year

Did ethan Allen ever use barcodes? We picked up a trestle dining table with the name printed and the number 18-68230 218 .

• Gabriela Capurro
    6 months ago

Hello!! Can you please tell me if this is Ethan Allen? Thanks

• cathyk3410
    last month

Is this an Ethan Allen or Thomasville piece? There are no markings but I swear my mom would only purchase from either brand.

• cathyk3410
    last month

Is this an Ethan Allen or Thomasville piece? There are no markings but I swear my mom would only purchase from either brand.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional