Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrshunter_gw

Wall Decal for Nursery

MrsHunter
10 years ago

I found this wall decal that I love. But I'm not sure if it's gender neutral enough, or what colors to use. I can change the color of the deer, trees, leaves, snow, and birds. The walls of the room are painted SW Bungalow Beige, with natural wood work. I would like this to be something that can grow with my baby so nothing too out there...

Thanks in advance!

Comments (24)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. If it were me, I'd do it in primary colors, because that's what I think belongs in a nursery. Either way, you're going to take it down by the time your child is 5 and they want "big boy" or "big girl" wallpaper or paint.

• MrsHunter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess I was just hoping for something that would grow with the child. But apparently I'm wrong in thinking that. And basically wondering if this is too "boy" because of the deer?

• Olychick
    10 years ago

The only thing that makes it too grown up and masculine to me are the bucks. I'd simply snip off the antlers. They'd seem more gentle and child friendly and it looks as if it would be easy to remove just the antlers.

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

I really like that wall decal, and think you're on the right track. I feel that the more restrained the color palette the more time you'll get out of it before having to change it out. Three of my kids probably would have been happy into their teens and beyond with a decal like that. The youngest, however, was begging for an all-pink room by the time she was 5. So do what you love when the little one is little, and see how long it lasts!

Edit: My oldest is a girl, and wouldn't have minded "boy deer" as decor, I think. It's all part of a nice nature theme, and so seems gender-neutral to me. She's not an over-the-top girlie girl, though.

This post was edited by fouramblues on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 12:25

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

I have seen very similar wall paper/decal used on HGTV..with out the bucks. I would keep looking and leave them out all together.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

The thing with wall decals is that they are easy to change. Don't think to far ahead.

Having a boy and a girl. Both rooms started out with disney characters on the wall. My sons room then went to decals of cars and trucks. Then baseball stuff. Then to just blue with a red border (red line in hockey). Then a gray blue. He is now 20 and the blue is his favorite color.

My daughter after disney went to pink and white stripes. Now a medium blue. They were her choices.

I would just pick something colorful for the first 3 years and then you can change the decals to something the child is interested in at that time.

BTW very cool decals. If you to change them I would just make one a doe.

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 12:55

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I think a decal is a terrific idea for a kids' room. Two tricky things about this --- the antlers feel a little grown up and male. But also, this looks like winter to me. Do you want perpetual winter? But if not, then summer? A quandary with this decal.

Or, do not go representational at all and make it nonsense colors or all one color?

Good luck with you new baby!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    10 years ago

Can you get the 'snowflakes' in glow-in-the-dark yellow-green? They'd seem more like fireflies. If you have a girl, add some fairies:

Here is a link that might be useful: fairies

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

I'd look for the white birch decals without the bucks -- did you look on Etsy?

At the risk of sounding like a wet blanket, my daughter had a dandelion decal in her room and when she was a young toddler she spent her nap time peeling the entire thing off the wall - ruining the paint and making a nice big mess. Then my younger daughter did the same thing in her room.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

It seems gender neutral to me, an enchanted forest scene, it's soft and peaceful.

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

where did you find that decal?
    Thanks

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

My reply requires thinking outside your box. * By going neutral you are diluting the thrill of decorating your baby's nursery. I can still remember the wonders of dreaming about, and choosing eveything from quilt to fuzzy critters, rug, and art. Did it again for gradbabies nursery at my house, with identical excitement. Therefore, I suggest you double your pleasure by choosing your favotite look for a boy and a girl, then do the room after the birth , when you've recovered.
    But back to your question: i love the decal, but agree that the bucks , which remind me of my dad's Field and Stream magazines, feel masculine. As oly suggested, snip off the antlers. Deer look gentle and baby-sweet. ( glue back on later if " it' a boy!" Not loving the beige wall. A soft, clear green is neutral and takes away from the winter look that mtn addressed. Congratulations on your new little one to- be!

* this subject has always interested me. Good one for the "other side"

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

The cheapest I found the decal is attached.
    The leaves,deers and birds can be arranged anyway you like(or not).
    I don't know anything about this co.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.innovativestencils.com/birch-tree-forest-set-vinyl-decal-white-forest-1161/

• geokid
    10 years ago

Definitely make one of the deer a doe.

Then, it just depends on if you want it to blend into the background or stand out.

• MrsHunter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ lyban: It's a seller on Etsy. I found it first on amazon though, the reviews were great. Although a little pricey depending on the size.

Thanks everyone. The reason I liked this was because of the deer. Maybe not the bucks itself, but if the one was turned into a doe and a buck I could see where that would help. I have seen the ones of just the trees, while those are pretty. I don't know I just like the deer :) But a lot to think about. Thanks for the suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.etsy.com/listing/92773275/large-wall-birch-tree-decal-forest-kids?ref=shop_home_feat

• teeda
    10 years ago

We did a very similar full wall decal in my daughter's room. I got it on Etsy. DD chose it when she was about 9. The walls were painted a fairly dark brown (again, her choice) and the white birch look stunning against it. The birds were in aqua blue, and we used aqua as the accent color in the room. We did not have the deer decals (she did have a fox on the opposite wall). The room had lots of white (woodwork, built in bookcases and platform bed). The dresser was a vintage french style that I had painted white, so that added a feminine touch. It was a great room and when we sold the house the new owners used it for their young son.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

OOOPs sorry it's not cheaper !!!!!!!!!!
    SMALLER....

Boy, I've got to pay attention.
    Same place.
    That's the Etsy web page.

This post was edited by forboystoo on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 15:07

• geokid
    10 years ago

I very much like the mural you chose. I just posted pictures of similar murals to show you how it would look with different colors.

WMA89, your daughter's sounds like the last picture I posted except the inverse of wall and tree color.

Again, I think any of the options would be cute and appropriate. It just depends on the feel that you want for the room. And I suggested making one deer a doe because I know if it were in my daughter's room she would want one of the deer to be a girl. :-)

• MrsHunter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@geokid: Thanks for those other options. I do very much like the idea of one a buck and one a doe, I'm sure the seller wouldn't mind changing it (I'm not to crafty and would probably end up taking a chunk of the head off if I tried myself :) ).

@forboystoo: You had my excited for a small second because I thought holy cows that's a great deal ;)

Basically we are trying to do neutral. I'm not big into the "pink" for girls and "blue" for boys type deal. I'm more of a green, orange, and grey type of person. Oh and about the wall color, my DH picked it out. I honestly didn't care enough to make a big deal about it, and we aren't repainting as we are building and just had the entire house painted.

And about the snowflakes, I wasn't sure If I was going to use them or not. But I think it's kind of pretty, and fitting seeing as we live in MN, and baby will be born in Dec :) But anyways I really appreciate all the response/help. You have all made my decision harder ;)

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

I'd like to see a doe and a fawn. The horns on the male would look scary in the dark.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

My DD and her husband chose not to find out the gender of their baby born 4 months ago.
    While they didn't use a decal like you are considering they did want a gender neutral room with simple forest type theme that included deer, birds and a tree.
    I just thought you might like to see what they came up with. As you can probably tell in the picture that has touches of pink, they had a girl.

Can't wait to see the final results for your nursery.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

Oooh! Darling room, BG...love it!

• Janice742
    10 years ago

Badgergal - I LOVE that room!