Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucienalta

Converting Tub to Shower (Pic)

lucienalta
9 years ago

My husband is 90 and it is getting harder for him to get into the tub. Neither of us use the tub, always the shower. Any tips on best shower to purchase that would fit in where our tub is now located would be appreciated. We have a small bathroom. I am going to Home Depot this week to check out what they have.

Comments (18)

• erinsean
    9 years ago

Have you looked at the walk-in tubs with showers that are made now? Can be expensive however. My suggestion would be to see a contractor to get an estimate on tearing out the tub and installing a shower with tiles, high shower spout (unless you have one)flooring, etc. You will need waterproof backer board for sure. Good luck. We have a tub with shower upstairs and a walk-in corner shower in the basement which is the one my husband used (he is a little older than yours.)

• edie_thiel
    9 years ago

My parents did a tub to shower conversion for the very reasons you list. It was a very easy conversion that took about a day for their plumbers to do. They removed the tub and its surround and then brought in a "pre-formed" shower insert that fit the tub space. It's not nearly as expensive as creating a tile shower. I'm trying to find the company that makes them. I know that they have a sample and information kiosk at my local mall. When I run out there in the next day or two, I'll post the name.

• edie_thiel
    9 years ago

It looks like this but it wasn't this company.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tub to Shower conversion liner

• voila
    9 years ago

DSIL had the same problem. She got an estimate from Home Depot to remove the tub and install a shower. The estimate came back at over $10,000. DH had our plumber and tile guy rip out the tub, move the drain to the center (concrete slab), install concrete shower pan, put up concrete backer board, and tile floor and walls. DH worked along with the plumber and tile layer each day. End cost was under $2,000. These workers did not charge very much money though, so it may be unrealistic. DSIL is a retired Nun, and the workers charged her so little that she paid them extra. If you get a high estimate the first time, don't give up. Instead of the big box stores, find a competent tile layer to give you an estimate, and then a plumber. DSIL did give up until her DB stepped in to get the job done.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Do you have a Bath Fitter's in your area? I believe they are all over, but not positive. See below link to look up your location. When you do the refit, be sure to add handicapped bars. And if you don't already have one, replace your toilet with a HC height. We are only in our 50's and 60's and really like the higher toilet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bath Fitter

• 66and76
    9 years ago

HD charges MUCH MORE than a licensed, independent contractor to do a tub/shower conversion. We were shocked. Do you have any friends or neighbors who can give you a referral?

• lucienalta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Our son and son-in-law will be installing the shower. I think I have found a shower kit I like and will have to check with them to see if this would be a good fit. I liked the reviews.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Depot Shower Kit in White

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Will you be added a shower door, or curtain? I can see an accident waiting to happen if you or your husband loses your balance and goes crashing through a curtain. Please be sure and add the HC bar shown in the 2nd review.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

A poster above mentioned a walk in tub. Please keep in mind that after bathing you have to sit there while the tub drains before opening the door. something that those ads never mention.

ML

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

• lucienalta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am looking at a frameless door for $237 (Home Depot). How safe are shower doors? What keeps you from smashing if you slip? I also have a question about faucet(s). Why are their two faucets?

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture shows two faucets

• maddielee
    9 years ago

We have a low faucet (that looks like a regular tub faucet) in one of our showers. It's placed about six inches above the floor. The shower faucet is at regular shower height. we were told the reason for the low faucet is to run that one while the hot water gets to that bathroom.

And it's great for a quick foot wash.

• teacats
    9 years ago

DH took a look at the photos from HD:

a)Please note that there are TWO shower heads -- one main head plus one hand-held shower head .....

b)There are two handles -- ONE controls the main top shower head ..... and the SECOND handle controls the hand-held shower head .....basically it is a diverter system -- where the water flow is diverted to the hand-held shower head .....

Also -- make sure that you have strong (into the studs) safety handles ..... just on the outside of the new shower stall .... and IF you are unsure of the might-be-slippery floor or seat -- simply put down some of that rubbery drawer or shelf liner -- cheap and GREAT (even for travelling!) .....

--I don't think any shower doors will keep a person from falling -- BUT do look for strong safety glass with handles!!!!

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Our shower door is harder to open, so therefore gives a couple of extra seconds to right ourselves should we fall on it. (Yes, I have done it.) Now, having said that, I do have a friend that lost her footing. She went crashing out the shower door, and into the toilet. Broke her arm, but refused to let her DH call an ambulance until she had done her hair and put on make-up. :)

• lucienalta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

teacats, one thing my husband and I fret over is the shower head. He loves a fixed head and I insist on a shower head with a wand (for washing my hair and the shower). You mean this will give us both what we want? Also, thanks to everyone. I will be sure to have grab bars that attach to stud and will put down rubbery drawer or shelf liner (great tip). Also, hadn't thought about handles for the door. Thanks so much. Well, I would probably have to blow dry my hair should I go crashing out the shower door, but I don't wear make-up so that's a plus! I would have my husband drive me to ER, save some mega bucks. I am thinking I should take my showers in the morning, he doesn't like driving at night. Then again, if speed is a factor, I may call the ambulance. He loves to drive and thinks he has earned the right to take time and enjoy the scenery--even the school buses pass us.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Age 90 and still driving? My hats off to him!

Hey, the school bus drivers around here drive WAY too fast.

And, yes, you will have both a stationary shower head and a hand held wand. It's funny that my husband never uses ours, but I love it.

• lucienalta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

teacat, do you buy the two handles/heads as a set or are they purchased separately? I am not sure what to Google to do a search.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

May I answer? ;)

I have included a link to the Delta shower heads that we have. It also includes a 3-nodule body spray that we do not use.

If you do a Google for Dual Shower Head, you should be able to find some like the heads feature in your tub surround.

Here is a link that might be useful: Delta Dual Showerhead