Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixiedo_gw

My $4.39 makeover

dixiedo
9 years ago

Hi all! I just wanted to share a little project I've been working on the last 3 days because I'm pretty jazzed about the way it came out!! The Mr. and I moved into a 175 year old house this summer and have begun working our tails off at making it our own (and not spending a lot of money doing so)! This week I decided to tackle the worn painted wood floors of our entryway.... for the cost of a roll of blue painters tape, I (think?) I added some wow and life into the space :) The previous homeowners left gallons (and gallons and gallons, ugh) of paint in the basement that I was able to use. We're pretty happy.... it may not be for everyone but it is for me :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Our New House Blog

Comments (66)

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

A BIG ditto to all the amazed reactions above - that is gorgeous!!! What a difference!! I too am envious - so sophisticated!!!! Great job!!!

• jjam
    9 years ago

To die for!!! ..... Along with your gorgeous color choices throughout. PERFECTION!!!!

• justinea
    9 years ago

Your whole foyer is magazine worthy! great job, off to look at your blog.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Great job! Looks wonderful!

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awe, thanks everyone :)

• bpath
    9 years ago

At first I though the pup was $4.39, but the floor is almost as good! Just kidding. What an amazing difference, it looks right out of a magazine. Beautiful!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

It's just lovely! Best under $5 makeover ever, I'd say.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

I'm in love with checkerboard floors--so I love your paint!

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys are making my day :)

Lilyfinch, yep, that is our Cav Piper.... she loves to photobomb any chance she can get lol! She is the sweetest girl though... and we'd love to get a blenheim next ;)

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Wowza! What an amazing transformation. Congrats! I love the pattern. We did the same thing (with 24" tiles) and nearly the same colors, in our dining room. I second guessed my decision but am SO glad we went thru with it :) And I can't believe how much better just changing out one item on your table (glass vase with airy flowers vs the fern) makes! Nice nice nice!
    Monica

• dirtyshoes
    9 years ago

Beautiful job! It looks so inviting.

What is the color on the walls? It looks like a sage color. Very warm and peaceful.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Wow!

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! Love your door trim/moldings; love your green paint; and love the foyer table. May I ask - where did you get the table? I need one JUST that size and style.

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you!!

Monica- I totally agree about the vase :) I love it!

Dirtyshoes- the paints is Wethersfield Moss by Benjamin Moore (historical collection).

Tuesday- I bought the table eons ago from the Pops unfinished furniture website.... not even sure if that still exists or not lol!

• User
    9 years ago

That looks wonderful! Nice house! Love the dog too!

• dirtyshoes
    9 years ago

Thank you, dixiedo!

You must be so proud of yourself. If it were me, I'd probably walk into the hall/entry/front door over and over again just to experience the pleasure of looking at it :)

• Kathie738 P
    9 years ago

Absolutely fantastic....want to see more of this wonderful house!

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I'm swooning! I simply adore checkerboard floors (or whatever the real name is). Love it!

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all :)

Kathie- I posted a link (in original post) to my little FB blog I started to chronicle our adventures here.... I feel like we won the lottery by finding this gem!!!

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Your floor makeover is amazing. I would never have thought of painting a checkerboard pattern and certainly would not have been able to DIY it. From what I can see the whole foyer/hallway is beautiful.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

It looks super! What a great transformation, especially for $4.39!

Dumb question----what kind of white flowers are in the vase.....they look so pretty!

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Joaniepoanie- not really sure lol!! I bought them at Pier 1 ;)

• User
    9 years ago

Fantastic job on the floor! The colors are PERFECT! I just love painted floors----yours are great and your foyer is beautiful.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

The entire house is amazing! I couldn't stop looking at the fb page!

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wish money were no object because I have no shortage of ideas lol! We are just taking slow, one room at a time... we have a lifetime to love this place!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

I agree with all above, It's perfection in your beautiful new/old home.

I saw your kitchen update in another post and was wowed by that, too! I may finally do this in my tiny entry porch as I have been thinking about for YEARS.

• Charlee_MO
    9 years ago

I love it! What kind of prep did you have to do?

I have a few houses with different kinds of wood floors and this could be an "easy fix". Maybe.

For instance, one house has old hardwood floors but an 8X15 area in 2 rooms has plywood. I'm thinking at one time or another they closed in a front porch. I left the carpet in the bedroom. I ripped the carpet out in the LR, had the floors cleaned and shined. Then put tile over the plywood portion. It looks better than it sounds, believe me. lol

• User
    9 years ago

Beautiful...great job of measuring ! c

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

You did a great job, and your house looks wonderful. You said it only cost $4.39, but that's a lot of work too, but looks like it was worth it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

That looks familiar -- do you have a blog?

Its fantastic.

And not easy. In fact, we wanted something similar in our beach house kitchen and the painter did not want to do it (at any price, let alone $4.39!)

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mtnredux- I have a fb blog.... link is posted in my original post. Please come like it lol!!

And it took several hours and most certainly years off my joints lol!

Trailrunner: gotta give the Mr. All the props on.the math ;)

and charlee- the only prep I did was give it a good cleaning and use porch/floor paint....

• Arapaho-Rd
    9 years ago

Love it and like my3dogs have always wanted to do this. You have such a beautiful home!

• Arapaho-Rd
    9 years ago

Love it and like my3dogs have always wanted to do this. You have such a beautiful home!

• glad2b
    9 years ago

It is gorgeous! Your home is so pretty and classic. Just perfect. :)

• mdln
    9 years ago

Looks great! Really cute doggy.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

Wonderful idea. Fabulous results! So fresh and updated while still appropriate to homes age. Nice!!!

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

That is just beautiful. In my front room, the HW floors are too shot to be refinished, so I want to paint them. I'd been flirting with whitewashing, but I've always loved the checkerboard pattern.

I think I'll be stealing this look for my front room. The colors are perfect! I'll be checking out your blog, too-hope you've got instructions on there how you did this fantastic floor.

Did you seal it after it was cured? I painted the subfloor in our family room years ago, after we pulled up the carpet and before we could figure out what kind of floor to put in-I just used latex wall paints and sealed it with satin poly-it held up great for years and if we'd done it to real HW, probably would have lasted forever. But do you need to seal porch & floor paint? The room I'm going to do gets very little traffic, but I want to avoid as much work as possible!

• caminnc
    9 years ago

Well aren't you smart. Looks fabulous!!!

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pesky- I haven't sealed it yet.... I considered doing an antique glaze over the top of it all but the one I got (Valspar mocha) looked orange (tested under rug lol). I may try another one or call it a day and seal.

I say go for it!!! I've always been drawn to that pattern as well, and It takes something hum drum to fantastic!

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

So pretty. The before looked awesome and the after is amazing. The neutral colors are so charming and understated but has a wow affect.

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone :)

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Dixiedo, that is fabulous! Can't add any more superlatives to what's already been said, but you did a wonderful job. Would love to see the rest of your home!

What part of Dixie are you in if that's indeed a reference to where you're from?

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Outsideplaying, thank you :) We are actually in the North East, but lived in MIssissippi briefly while my husband was in the Air Force... my moniker is based off our beloved rescue pup Dixie (a true southern belle) that we just lost this year at 15 :(

I have a FB page that I have been keeping track of our projects so far.... we just moved in this August so there's only a handful of things right now, but please browse and "like" my page if you wish :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of The Big White House blog

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

Very nice!

• crl_
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I love the look and you executed it so well.

• Michelle
    9 years ago

Wow! I'm super impressed! Gorgeous.

And I too love the doggie....can never have too many cavs. :). (Here's two of my three snuggling....I have every color except Blenheim.). Love my dogs. :)

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awe michelle!!! Love it :)

• rockybird
    9 years ago

Wow! Looks amazing! That really took some guts and skill to do! It looks like it was professionally done. I love it!

• cliff_and_joann
    9 years ago

It looks wonderful, so crisp and fresh! well done.

• Michael
    9 years ago

Wow! That is an amazing makeover.

And it is a professional looking makeover.

I love viewing creative paint techniques.