Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ks92

Furniture has arrived -- time for your rug/table/lamp suggestions

ks92
10 years ago

As the title says...it's here!
First I'm not happy with the layout. The chair/ottoman stick out too far into the walkway from our entryway. However, I do like the large opening from our eat in kitchen. Suggestions?

Plan is to purchase a rug, coffee table, side table for between sofa/chair and a smaller side table for one of the recliners unless two would be preferred. The throw pillows came with the furniture but would like more (tie in the rug??). Lighting is also on the list. There are wall scones waaaaaay up high that are useless functionally.

I've also attached a mock up completed before the furniture arrived with rug suggestions (thank you Beverly27).

Thank you!!

Comments (20)

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Very nice! If it were my room, I'd put the sofa with its back to the kitchen area, but pulled as close to the fireplace as possible, the two matching chairs facing the sofa on the other side of the fireplace and the chair with ottoman where the sofa is angled toward the tv a bit.

like this only flipped

[Contemporary Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by Kansas City Interior Designers & Decorators Becky Berg Design

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love, love, love your furniture! The pattern on your chair and ottoman is gorgeous. I love to see pattern in furniture and I love the lineny fabric on your sofa. I think the layout that Olychick suggested is what I would do too.

Is your furniture Smith Brother's? I am partial to SB. They have such a nice selection of styles and fabric and made in the USA is always a winning combination.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

How about this lamp? am so crazy about the Kinzig lamps and I love to see pattern with pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pretty lamp

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    10 years ago

Try moving the new chair at a right angle to the sofa, so that it is directly facing the TV. Maybe the ottoman could then serve both pieces; i.e., the chair & sofa.

• ks92
    Original Author
    10 years ago

holly-kay Yes the furniture is Smith Brothers -- and I love the lamp you suggested. I need to find a knockoff at a lower price!

olychick -- If we move the sofa with the back to the kitchen it will block the open area between the two rooms (if I'm understanding what you are suggesting).

gracie01 -- definitely works that way, however I'll still need a coffee table and not sure if there is room unless I move the ottoman.

thanks ladies!

• teacats
    10 years ago

See posted photo #2 (the one that shows the fireplace and the two window areas) -- move the TV into the left-hand window area -- and angle it into the room .... you may have to add a turntable for the TV itself -- which would allow the cabinet to sit into the window bay area ....

THEN -- move the sofa to the far wall -- which gives you room to add end tables ....

THEN -- move the patterned chair and ottoman into the right-hand window bay -- which will give you more area for the ottoman. Play with the exact angle and inches between this chair and the exact placement of the sofa along that wall ....

THEN -- take the two matching armchairs -- and place them on the staircase wall (play with exact placement) Think of adding a small table (rectangle) between them with a lamp.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

If you put the sofa with its back to that area, but close to the fireplace and not back against the wall (the short wall with window) it looks like you have plenty of room, but maybe the photo is misleading as to how much room is there. As the furniture is now arranged, it doesn't look at all connected to each other. It could work with the sofa on the other side and the chairs on the kitchen side, but the sofa would not face the tv. Could the tv go below the stairs?

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

I love the colors of the fabric with your floor color. Such nice contrast.

• ks92
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Olychick -- I don't think there is enough room to run the sofa straight. It would hit the edge of the fireplace. It would be possible to move the tv on the stair wall as we could still see it from the eating area. Lots of football parties!

teacats -- thank you for your suggestion, however moving the tv in the left corner would eliminate viewing from the eating area.

I moved the furniture to a similar arrangement we had with our old pieces (loveseat instead of chairs in front of stair wall). Also have a sofa table I can use.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Kickboxing, I love your room. I like the way the sofa looks angled, and I love the chairs by the steps. I have to say again , the patterned fabric is just gorgeous!

• geokid
    10 years ago

Have you considered facing the sofa towards the fireplace but pulled away from the staircase wall? This would create a walkway behind the sofa and not through the conversation area.
    Then I would put the two chairs next to each other to the left of the fireplace and facing the tv.
    Then place the chair with ottoman angled to the right of the fireplace.
    Something similar to this room:

• ks92
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Better? This is geokid's suggestion without the sofa pulled away from the wall.

• dakota01
    10 years ago

Yes - it looks more comfy and homey with the new layout. Though, I did like when your chairs were next to the fireplace, but then the rest of the furniture didn't look quite right.
    If you are keepiing your tv where it is, I would get a lot larger console for it. Maybe even consider mounting it on the wall, the larger scale console would still work.
    As for a rug - I would like a punch of color - even if it was just in the center or trim around the edges. You only have neutrals - so you can afford something bright.
    Love your paisley fabric!

• geokid
    10 years ago

Actually, not to toot my own horn, but I like it a lot better now. And for some reason I thought you accessed the stairs by the TV so that is why I suggested the walkway behind the sofa. You definitely don't need that.

I see a round table between the two chairs. And another table next to the paisley chair. Not sure what for a coffee table, you'd have to play with size and shape.

I like either the striped rugs you showed or the Persian-style. Do you mind telling me where that one is from?

• Olychick
    10 years ago

You are being such a good sport trying all our suggestions, but I still think all the furniture is too far apart and disconnected. It's such a gorgeous room, the furniture is lovely, but it looks like it's all placed to worship at the altar of tv. While I know seeing the tv is important, it doesn't look like the room would function for anything but watching tv.

I would try to find an arrangement so it looks like people would want to come in and have a conversation with each other and everything looks too far apart for that right now. Could you scootch the matching chairs down toward the fireplace (perpendicular to the fireplace and not angled) and put the couch facing them and the kitchen (maybe not flat against the wall), the tv on the stairway wall and the print chair angled back toward the fireplace, kind of in the area to the right of where the tv is now? If you got a nice table and lamp, it would be a cozy reading spot.

• ks92
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You all are so amazing (and patient with me).

Unfortunately the TV stays where it is. That's one battle I choose not to take on.

The open space between the furniture as it's arranged now is just over 8x10.

Since my brain hurts over this I stopped at PB when I was running errand...liked these:

Misa

Perry

Brandon

Eva

thoughts?

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I second the vote for a larger TV stand. That was the first thing I noticed. The one you have seems to be maybe 3-1/2' wide or so? I'd be looking for something about 6' wide. Then you might hang those botanical (? hard to see) prints over the TV, instead of over there on the side. Or maybe put the wall hanging (I can't tell if that's a clock?) that is over the sofa over the TV instead? I think it's too big for the wall it's on now. It just seems too "cluttery" with the light switches on the wall.

I do think a rug and a good-sized coffee table will help make the seating area feel more cohesive, and I also wonder about maybe placing a sofa table between the back of the sofa and the wall, to bring it out into the room a bit more? OR, instead, maybe just pull the patterned chair away from the corner a bit more.

Definitely a round table between the two matching chairs, another side table by the patterned chair, the coffee table...and maybe a tall floor plant over in that corner where the stairs are (to the right of the TV)?

I'm not sure any of the rugs you just posted will work with your upholstery. Maybe one of the striped ones from your earlier pics?

I'm all over the place here but just flipping back and forth to your pics to see what to suggest! I just had my Friday afternoon coffee so I may have gotten a little carried away.

• susieboomer
    10 years ago

This is crazy...I took one look at your posting and broke out laughing!! Check out my sofa and pillows! (Bad picture but what i had on phone.) I changed my mind a couple times and was going to do something completely different and try sell my furniture. Yes mine is SB too! Nice stuff, but decided I want a camel back and little taller. The house I moved from we put in American Cherry Kahr's flooring and it looked just like yours!
    I will be following your posting!!

• susieboomer
    10 years ago

What are your room dimensions?
    What is opposite the fireplace wall? Stairway?? and tv opposite kit.?
    Do you want the kitchen area to be separated or more a part of this space?
    I'm not as far as you and I may have a smaller space, 16x16 however behind my couch is our more formal dining space so the room is about 33' long and 17' wide on the other end. I think we could do similar things.
    I am planning to use a large round ottoman probably 40".
    I want to be able to rearrange so My sofa will be facing fireplace sometimes.
    I am dealing with the tv dilemma also. We have hookups to the right of fp and opposite wall of fp. I am thinking of repurposing some unique armoire or antique cab. for tv. Also thought of Hubby doing a retractable television into a piece. Another idea which would work for u too is putting up shelving on your tv wall with various size compartments to display things and have your tv as part of that arrangement. Leaving some empty compartments as well. Or even hanging various size picture frames of same color, perhaps dark charcoal and building that kind of arrangement. Those are some ideas I am playing with.
    Am I seeing darker color paint above fireplace? I kind of like the contrast with your furniture. It makes it pop more. I can see doing it on the small stairway wall too, just the side facing into the room. Then tying that color into wall with tv. but not necessarily painting it, with fabric etc and bringing in some accent color(s).
    I think some trees in your corners on fireplace wall would bring the outside in and cozy it up Are you a quilter, or even by putting a quilt or wall hangings up on your tv wall that would be an idea.
    Sue has room arrangement ideas like I can picture. I think you might be hesitant to use larger scale items for ottomans, etc but I see them working well. I assume you are using those window treatments??
    Why is it always easier to give advice to others when I struggle with my own!!! Sorry for getting carried away everyone. Lovely room with a nice view.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Eva has a nice variety of colors and will hide party oops :) By themselves, Misa is my favorite. Check out CL for real wool and something without a canvas back (for some reason they can stink all of the sudden!). Getting it cleaned can range from $1-$4/sq ft. Definitely call around to check out your local prices. I found a vintage 10x14 wool rug with a thick pile for $300 and cleaning cost $150-ish. I did look for a long time, though.

An 8x10 area in the middle of your grouping is a LOT. My living room has a similar set up and I have 5 ft between my sofa and chairs by the fireplace. My rug has all of the chairs on it and most of the front of the couch.

I agree with bringing your couch into the room a bit, with a sofa table behind for lamps, and bringing the chair/ottoman into the room a bit, too. The pair of chairs can go toward the fireplace just a tad so that there's some walking room between them and the sofa.

Once you have a rug down, it'll help with cozying up the furniture pieces.