Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

A metal finish I am starting to see.

palimpsest
11 years ago

I have started to see a finish on door hardware and bath/kitchen fixtures (on a limited basis) and I am not sure where this is coming from.

Rubinet calls it 'Bordeaux', Emtek calls it "Burgundy", and it is basically that, a kind of satin, non-highlighted maroon. I am not sure what kind of overall schemes this finish would be used in.

Comments (32)

• loves2read
    11 years ago

not in mine
    that sounds just too color-keyed...

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Color keyed, to what? is what I am wondering.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

That does tie in with the fashion world where rose gold is emerging as the metal of the moment.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

Is this what you are talking about?

{{!gwi}}

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

It looks a little art deco, but the color is truly a puzzle. The word "funky" comes to mind.

• thankurnmo
    11 years ago

As a totally non tuned in home decor person, I so appreciate your posts-- and to my totally untrained eye, I think it might even be like a wood tone (cherry-mahogonyish?).
    Interesting finish and I think I might like it except that I am still have the memories of mauve and rose... if I can embrace it like wood, I just might like it:)

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, although that looks Rust, there. Here are the samples from the two websites:
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• Oakley
    11 years ago

The hardware on our frontdoor is very similar. We bought it about 4 years ago. It's brown but gives off a purplish hue in certain light. First glance it looks brown.

• powermuffin
    11 years ago

Pretty!
    Diane

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What wood tones or painted millwork colors would this coordinate with or highlight?

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

Emtek's ORB sort of finish has always had a purple-y undertone to it. We used their hardware in our last house and the samples the vendor brought to the house were the most popular - silvers and ORBs - because most people were unhappy when their purple hardware arrived.

That second image you posted just looks like that ORB finish, just really intensified.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The ORB from Emtek is browner than this Emtek burgundy by comparison. I have the Emtek ORB and in my light it reads dark brown grey but there is a copper undertone that starts to come out as it ages.

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

Those would look great with the leather Aigner blazer I had in 1982.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Is it the 'Mahogany' of metals? Great with grays and more 'colorful' than brushed nickel.

• J M
    11 years ago

Well, burgundy is the hot color in fashion right now...spillover? I like patty_cakes' idea of pairing it with grays...which are hot right now too of course.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

Darn it! I wanted flat black to be the next finish of choice. It would make it easier for me to find stuff in the color.

And no, it's not impossible now, but there seems to be 4x the options in ORB or brushed nickel as plain, flat black. Sigh, maybe next year will be my year :)

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

I really like that Palm. And the wood one. The only tone felt with it is black doors. Please don't say gray, it takes me back to the 70s gray/mauve. I can see these in a mid/deep metal green and dozens of colors to go with it.

• threeapples
    11 years ago

i'm not a fan of this color metal at all and it reminds me of my grandparents' Oldsmobile from the early 1980s. if it were a leather wastebasket in this color it might be ok, but not for the handle of a front door. it seems trendy.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think there must be a fairly strong idea for its use, in that several companies are producing it right now. But it would blend in with some of the more popular wood tones. Faucets are a different story, but I am having a hard time placing a maroon vanity faucet visually.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Pal, our door is a deep brown. Yesterday I looked at the hardware again, and it does look brown but upon close inspection, it has a purplish hue to it mostly when light hits it. It's not even noticeable unless you look real hard.

Mine is the same color as the last picture you posted.

• kswl2
    11 years ago

I still think that the next big metal finish will be a satin brass. I just wish more of it was available now. It's my favorite.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I agree, I think there will be an increase in satin brass and lighter bronze finishes.

I don't think this burgundy will be a big finish, just another option.

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

I just ordered a boat load of uncoated brass hardware and fixtures (taps). So spendy, but gorgeous. EngineerChic, I did Emtek flat black in my New Orleans house so if you need any sources for hardware, let me know. I had brass and flat black everywhere in that house. Loved it.

It's usually special order, but there are many places online where it's stocked and reasonably priced.

Right now I am on the hunt for a) an uncoated brass barn door set up and b) a more reasonably priced version of the La Cornue hanging pot rack. My husband just thinks that $3K is too much for a pot rack. ::cough:: Where is his *vision*??!!

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was thinking of doing powder-coated white in one of the bathrooms in my next house.

• threeapples
    11 years ago

Is the powder-coated white a serious comment? ;)

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, for one of the bathrooms--it's a modernist house. :)

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

I don't think that powder-coated white is outside the realm of reality - you can get some nice faucets in white metal finish. However, they aren't particularly modern in styling. I think there's actually a much more broad range of hardware choices than we are led to believe. It isn't all nickel and ORB or cheap builder's brass.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

Emtek Burgundy name is not new, but I'm not sure when they changed it - it's been at least 2 years (the last time I looked at their website). We've been in our home 6 years and ordered interior and exterior hardware by Emtek - it was not called Burgundy at the time. Maybe ORB? I'd have to pull tickets. Anyway, the levers are all okay - dark enough to look ORB, but the front door handles. O.M.G. BURGUNDY. They haven't changed all that much over the years either. They were special order, so not returnable (local store), and to be honest I was tired of 9 months of daily building decisions, so just kept them.

Emtek probably had to change the name to let people know it really was Burgundy. I'm sure they had a lot of unhappy customers.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They still have an Oil Rubbed Bronze on brass, burgundy is available on their bronze hardware along with a flat black, a medium bronze, and a silver.

As for finding white. Some Kohler Purist kitchen faucets are available in white, and I think one lavatory faucet. But mostly it's a matter of intense research. Some companies have dozens of finishes, it's just a matter of finding a vendor who will get them for you.

I had to have some things custom plated in oil rubbed bronze and polished nickel about 17 years ago, because of the limited availability. They were the appropriate, but not trendy finishes for a couple things I was doing at that time.

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

allison0704 - that was my experience with the Emtek finish about 2-3 years ago as well. Special order, non-returnable, so the guy had a sample of it. It's what pushed me to go flat black since I had cypress doors.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

"Those would look great with the leather Aigner blazer I had in 1982."
    Jakabedy that cracked me up! And so true. I'll toss in my Aigner loafers from 1979!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Jakabedy and island, me, too!

The Etienne Aigner things of mine that I remember were a wallet and a pair of pumps that had, I think, stacked heels and bridle hardware on the vamp.

Aigner was the Southern debutante's Gucci, as I recall. Have they dropped "Etienne?"