Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oopsie913

What colors would you paint these chairs for kitchen?

oopsie913
9 years ago

Hi guys. Eventually i may just get a new and longer island top, but in the meantime i decided to use this table as an extension. The base is black and top is wood ( might paint top too). My central color theme in this area is black/white/creme so i can change accessories, artwork seasonally. I would like to paint the chairs different colors and keep the black and white upholstery...any ideas? Im mostly afraid to do sone pop colors which will end up getting in the way of the seasonal changes. Any ideas and should i do 5 colors ( 5 chairs, one with arms). ? Thanks !!

This post was edited by oopsie913 on Sun, Oct 5, 14 at 12:29

Comments (13)

• oopsie913
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pic enclosed

• oopsie913
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If they were mine, I'd repaint them black, high gloss, and put more colorful fabric on the seats.

• teacats
    9 years ago

For the easiest seasonal changes -- I agree with Tibbrix -- re-paint the chairs in gloss black -- but change to a neutral fabric for the seats.

... and then enjoy all of the seasonal changes! :) Add bright pops of color and texture and patterns with fun stuff -- or fruit, flowers and veggies! :)

• oopsie913
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha. Im going to put that at the top of my ideas for now. I thought of that but its the most challenging to find bright and " cross seasonal fabric. So i may just give in and do the high gloss repaint. Thanks, so far guys. !!

This post was edited by oopsie913 on Sun, Oct 5, 14 at 12:34

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Cute chairs! I agree with sticking with black. Do they actually need a new coat, or would a coat of paste wax give them a better sheen?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

There is a thread here asking about online fabric stores. I was looking at some of them, and the Hancock link has a whole category called "Autumn Gathering", fabrics for autumn. Really fun stuff in there, like this.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Winter

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Birthday party!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Spring

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

So far, I'm the dissenting voice: I would *not* paint the chairs high-gloss black. Ugh. I agree with Errant: Wax them; they're beautiful as they are and a coat of wax will really bring out the color. Different colors are going to be a challenge going from Halloween to Christmas and Easter. Not to mention the 4th of July!

I would keep the seats as they are. It would be an easy task to sew up some seat covers in seasonal prints or colors and tie them on over the BW upholstery. Easiest change you could make for all your changing scenes and when you're done, take 'em off and put them away for next time.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

If you want to frequently change the cushions in your chairs, how about first upholstering the seats in a neutral fabric (this might be a good use for the ubiquitous drop cloth fabric), then make thin cushions to use on top of the upholstery.

If you look closely, you can see what I'm talking about in the chairs below, although the upholstery and the cushions match in the photo (from Traditional Home):

• oopsie913
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much. I can easily recover the chairs seats. . and since the chair wood is all very worn and dull black, they will probably need a fresh coat and a gloss since you can see the brown wood thru it. If i decide to keep them worn, as in distressed , i think i will do a wax?? Not sure what you mean by wax. ? I'll also look for possible a new bright fabric but i really dont want to change the seats every season..ugh. In summary , i guess ill just perk up the wood :/. Thanks everyone. :). Ps. Love that idea of a cushion on top of another bbstx. !!

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Fairfax County's Innovative General Contractors