Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drybean_gw

Side table: should it stay or go?

drybean
10 years ago

Trying to pull together our living room.
I placed this glass table between the two chairs, and DH thinks it looks cluttered. "You put a table in front of a credenza!"

I kind of think it ties the two chairs together and provides a place to set down drinks, plus helps break up all the brown.

Opinions?

I'm also considering doing a gallery wall around the tv but I'm really nervous about it.

Sorry for the washed out photos, it is bright in here.

Comments (33)

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Lovely room.

It should go.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I agree with your husband that the table doesn't "belong" in front of the credenza.

As for the gallery wall, well, in general, they're too cluttered looking for my taste, but beyond that, I would find it really distracting to watch TV amidst a gallery wall.

• drybean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for opinions. DH will be pleased. :)

Maybe instead a small accent table in between the slipper chair and the arm chair?
    Something like this.

SJhockeyfan-my thought was that it would help to eliminate the focus of the TV, but I absolutely see what you're saying about it being distracting.
    I'll probably never do it because I'm terrified of putting too many nail holes in wall, especially after I just spent days sparkling and sanding.
    I saw this and rather liked it, but you might be right about it being a bit busy. Just thought it was a good opportunity to pull in some color, but they are so tricky to get right...

(Photo from Emily Henderson)

• katrina_ellen
    10 years ago

I agree the table should not be there, it doesn't make sense for it to be there. I just got done with a tv wall with a similar setup - on top of a stand. I did something simple - I don't have a picture to show you - I did one framed artwork in the center and two candle sconces - one on either side. It was simple and I think it works well. I will try to get a pic to post later if you are interested.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Not sure what other colors you have in the room, but I'd suggest getting rid of the frame chair and the striped thrown on the chair and adding a Chinese Garden Seat in a color next to the leather chair for drinks etc.

• drybean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Katrina-that sounds lovely-I would love to see a pic if you can find one.

Beverly-I am trying to incorporate blues and greens. I like the idea of the stool next to the slipper chair., but it's kind of in the walk way. Perhaps I could pull the chair in more so it would be out of the path.

I'm curious as to your reasoning for eliminating the other chair and throw? We need the seating and the room is so narrow I am unable to fit other chairs there.
    For reference, the rug is 9x12, so I have just over 9 feet wide.

(New coffee table is in order...still trying to decide what I want. Ditto couch, although that one may take longer. Also note that I am in process of hanging curtains on back window behind couch, hence the corner connector just hanging off end curtain rod).

I thank you all for your input, having more eyes always helps!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Agree with Bev that the table and armchair should go....the armchair could be pulled in when you need extra seating...but it does not look comfortable for watching tv and makes the space look more cluttered.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Agree with Beverly. Would you consider removing the two armchairs and replacing them with the two slipper chairs with the Chinese garden bench between them? Also recommend that the mirror between the two arm chairs be removed and replaced with a piece of artwork.

This post was edited by walnutcreek on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 13:35

• drybean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joanie-the chairs are actually much more comfortable than they appear, but I concede that they not a curl up and watch tv chair. I find them more comfy than the slipper chairs-I like them for reading. I'm going to try moving them and see what y'all think.

Walnutcreek-I will switch the chairs around when I get home and post a new pic. Is your thought on the mirror the reflection, the color,shape? Just trying to understand what you think is wrong. We have plenty of lovely art so that is an easy fix.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Why did you decide to not put the TV between the two windows so your conversation area could be a bit more intimate?

Sorry just a fast sketch to illustrate the concept.

This post was edited by beverly27 on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 14:33

• erinsean
    10 years ago

Personally I would not put a picture gallery around the TV. I would use what you have now (the longish grills) and put them on either side of the TV....not behind like you have now. One would hang behind the floor lamp and the other one would be behind the plant. Nothing else around the TV. As for the dark slipper chairs, I would pull them around to face each other. The green chairs....I would take one out and put the remaining one sort of slanted at the right end of the couch. You could use a Chinese garden bench beside the right end of the couch and another one by the left side of the dark slipper chair in front of the window. Bring in color with the Chinese garden benches, pillows and throws.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Drybean, the mirror just doesn't look right in the room, IMHO. A piece of artwork (perhaps containing lots of blues and greens, because you are trying to add those colors) would add some much needed color to the room.

• mjlb
    10 years ago

The last photo changed my perception of the room, and I think a photo of the other side of the room (fireplace?) would also help.

• chijim
    10 years ago

My .02 cents, the grilles behind the TV would drive me nuts while viewing the screen .

Did you ever think of moving the slipper chairs from the corners, placing them in front of the credenza--but closer to the coffee table, across from the sofa with the glass table inbetween?

• drybean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beverly-I love that arrangement you did, thank you. I did try a similar set up, but my husband strongly dislikes watching tv from such an angle. Since this is our only living space, it must be a jack of all trades room.

Here I switched the green and slipper chairs, as well as the coffee table. I also need to scootch the rug over to the left a bit, and move the mirror out. But I need help with those tasks, so hopefully tonight.

Grandma-thank you for all the suggestions. I'm not sure if this is what you meant? I will also move the screens as you suggested.

Or

Walnut-got it. I agree that bringing in color is much needed. This is the painting I was thinking of hanging there, but not sure if it's large enough.

Maybe that would be a better place to hang a gallery arrangement? Or too cluttered?

Mjlb-here you go.

That basket is waiting for a tall plant, I think.

That is the front door, and then what was the original dining room. We use it as a reading nook now... I stole the green chairs from that area and just put the dog bed in there. :) Pardon the mail I just brought inside and the Empire State print. I was trying to see if I could make it work somewhere, but I think its gotta go.

Chijim-is this what you meant, where I swapped the glass table for the wood and just pulled in the slipper chairs?
    Sorry for the curtain rod on floor (it's about to be hung up, swear!).

This post was edited by drybean on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 15:45

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

OMG we have put you through your paces today!

Have to take in all you have done, and the additional photos to see what could be recommend for your room. Lovely large windows, & boy, I really guessed wrong on the fireplace.

So your husband, sits on the sofa and faces the flatscreen?

• drybean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beverly-ha, yes! I'm sitting down for a break now. Yes, when we watch t.v. , we sit on sofa and face the television. We don't watch a ton, maybe a couple times a week (and more on weekends during football season), and have family movie night with kiddos too.

I should also note that I am actively shopping for a new coffee table...just trying to figure out shape and size.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

drybean,

How long is the console holding up the flat screen and is it a black/brown stain? is there a console table behind your sofa?

Not sure your DH will like to view his flatscreen between the slipper chairs, but you can see that the room is more intimate with moving them.

I'm trying to find a way to use your lovely mirror, but mirrors are tricky. You always have to be concerned with what they reflect, and it might be a little off putting to be a guest, walk into your living room and be confronted with a full height view of yourself. I'm trying to see if I can place it tucked behind something to make it a bit less prominent in the room.

What is your plan with the fireplace? Stay as is, install something on the surface?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

dupe

This post was edited by beverly27 on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 22:15

• drybean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The console is 72", and yes, dark brown. So much brown! That wall is 130" from the doorway to the corner where the plant is.

The tv is visible over the chairs, so I think it's okay. We could always hang it up a bit on the wall also.

I'm okay to nix the mirror..I would like to bring in color through artwork. I can put the mirror in our bedroom.

The fireplace befuddles me. I don't want to mess with the brick, since it can't be undone, but I don't really know what to do with it. My searches for those type of fireplaces usually produced a sunburst over it or just a bullet planter off to the side, which is why I have the basket there. We do use it in the winter, even in L.A. :)

I do have the matching loveseat that I could swap for the couch, since it's not as wide. I'd love a new sofa, but DH isn't on board yet.

This post was edited by drybean on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 17:58

• violetwest
    10 years ago

Well, I don't think it looks right because it's in front the of TV.

You say you want to take the focus off the tv, but that's fairly futile, imo. Unless you only use the tv once in a blue moon, I think the layout should reflect the way you live, not the way you think you "should" live.

People are going to be watching the tv and while that table doesn't exactly block the view, it's distracting. And doesn't it get in the way if you want to use other video equipment, like a DVD player, or use the credenza to store DVDs?

• KelliC
    10 years ago

Side note, I really like your mirror. Not in this room, but I think it's a beautiful piece

• violetwest
    10 years ago

how did this dupe get in there? boo!

This post was edited by Violet.West on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 14:48

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Can the Empire State building be hung on the fireplace? I know that you're reluctant to put any kind of hanger on it, but I'd have a couple of people hold it up for me to take a pic!

I like that you've brought the chairs closer to the sofa. That's a much better conversation grouping and makes sense since TV isn't a big thing for you all.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

drybean, I might have some options for you. See what you think you can use.

I used the loveseat you mentioned to increase the amount of seating in your living room. I moved the sofa to the other wall, and brought in the loveseat. I've included a 32" round table in the corner with a lamp for reading and general lighting.

Kept the flatscreen in the same location, but have mounted two unique narrow shelves above the TV to hold a rotating variety of pictures & art. This will make a bigger statment on the wall with the flatscreen. I kept one armless chair in the living room, and figured you could place the other in the reading nook along with a continental height round wood table for a cup of tea or coffee &.a light swagged from above to complete the scene. Next to the armless chair I've added a dusty aqua ceramic garden seat to supplement your tables. Your floor lamp will be placed behind the chair.

Taking a cue from your comment about wanting to include green/blue into the room, (I think your planter is this color) I've added a dusty aqua throw, aqua patterned ikat pillows for interest, and in place of a simple coffee table, I've added a tufted fabric cocktail ottoman. Because the ottomans often don't support snacks and drinks, a panel end narrow wood coffee table on concealed casters could be layered over the ottoman, and slid back and forth as needed when you have guests.

I think you should consider painting the brick fireplace white. Then I would create a wall mounted sculpture of aqua or sea glass disks/plates to continue to add color & texture to your space. If not aqua art glass then hand woven flat patterned basket/trays.

I have some ideas about the drapes, but hesitate to go any further since I don't know how you control privacy and light, nor how committed you are to the plain white drapes.

• drybean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beverly-Wow, thank you so much!! DH and I looked at it last night and here are our thoughts:

We would prefer to work with the brick as-is. Painted brick can look great, but I don't want to go that route.
    I love the glass accents you chose for over the fireplace though, perhaps I could find something similar in shape and scale in brass? Or the baskets might work on the red brick(?).

The other thing is that I prefer to only use the sofa or the loveseat, not both. It's an old set (9 years and 4 houses ago!) and I've grown to dislike having both in an arrangement..it feels furniture showroom to me. Plus all that dark brown leather feels heavy. I'm thinking though, that your layout would work with 2 of the same size, smaller scaled sofas.

If I can talk DH into that, it may be the way to go?

I have the round side table, so that's easy. I like the solid coffee table too..like you said it needs to be hard for snacks, games and homework and such. I'm not keen on ottomans as coffee tables for aforementioned reason, but perhaps nesting them could work.

I'm not married to the white drapes, they are used only to soften the windows. I have solar roller shades we use for light control and privacy. I got the ones hung up on the back window last night:

In general, I prefer solid drapes as I tire out of patterns and like to invest in smaller pieces (throws, pillows, etc.) in whatever pattern I like at the moment, be it greek key, ikat, etc.

In the meantime, until I can purchase new sofas, I guess I'll go with the current furniture arrangement and move out the mirror. I'll add some colorful artwork in its place, as well as something for the fireplace, and look for a coffee table like you posted. If I am unable to find something similar to the ottoman/nesting table combo, do you suggest a square shape?

I'm curious as to your thoughts on the shelving over the TV instead of art work on the wall. Are they not equally as busy? I'm just trying to learn why one works but not the other.

Again, I thank you for the time you put into helping me. I am so very appreciative!

• chijim
    10 years ago

"Chijim-is this what you meant, where I swapped the glass table for the wood and just pulled in the slipper chairs?"

No, I meant the for the slipper chairs to be parallel/deadon facing the sofa w/glass table in between them so everything is symmetrical.

ETA: I don't mind the grilles on that wall, just not right behind the TV.
    Have you ever thought of hanging them horizontally?

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by chijim on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 15:06

• erinsean
    10 years ago

In the one picture you had the slipper chairs facing each other (my suggestion) and one green chair in the corner by the couch (my suggestion). Slipper chairs pointed a little toward the couch is okay also. I like either way.....now use art where the mirror is and bring back your glass coffee table. Aqua pillows and throw would bring in color...maybe something aqua on the coffee table. Put your two "grills" out (behind the lamp and behind the plant) and all will look really nice, I think.

• drybean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chijim-Symmetry! You're talking my language. I really love that photo...that rug is to die for.
    That is basically what I started with, only now the chairs are pulled in more. I like it.
    Moving the mirror out gives me an extra 4" or so, so the chair fits better now.

And now that the mirror is gone, I realize my painting is way too small for that wall. Perhaps that would be a good place to do my gallery arrangement?

I have this large painting, but I read once that horizontal pieces should not go on vertical walls.

I hadn't really thought about hanging the screens horizontally. Do you mean one above the other, behind the TV, or where?

This is the side table on the end of the couch.
    I realized it wasn't very visible in any of my other photos.

Grandmaof3: What do you think of the above? I need to figure out my art situation and find some blues to bring in. The circular table is just way too small for a coffee table, that's why I removed it. We need space for card games, homework, etc. I will replace that old wooden one with something, just not sure what yet...

• chijim
    10 years ago

"Chijim-Symmetry! You're talking my language. I really love that photo...that rug is to die for.
    That is basically what I started with, only now the chairs are pulled in more. I like it.
    Moving the mirror out gives me an extra 4" or so, so the chair fits better now.

And now that the mirror is gone, I realize my painting is way too small for that wall. Perhaps that would be a good place to do my gallery arrangement? "

I think I might even pull the chairs up a bit more toward the sofa to make a more intimate arrangement.
    I think if you do throws on the backs of the slipper chair have them matching or at least coordinating. Another look is do a pair of lumbar or bolster pillows 0n the chairs.

I think the grilles hung horizontally behind the TV may work, but start them 6 to 10"s--maybe a tad more, above the credenza so they're not floating but look like they're a part of the credenza..

A design trick to make your art between the windows appear larger is to mask off a 'frame" bigger(or even cover most of that area) than the picture and paint the wall w/a complimenting accent color. used in pic, throws, etc.

That also could be continued behind the credenza.

BTW, if you want to hang the mirror between the windows you can use cleats so it's flatter.

• geokid
    10 years ago

If the TV isn't the focus of the room, then I would disguise it. I like the last arrangement you posted, but I think the TV looks a little odd in its current location. I would separate the art panels and place them on either side of the TV. Then I would raise the TV and hide it behind doors or artwork. Something like this, but it doesn't have to be this exactly.

• erinsean
    10 years ago

I like what you have done with the chairs in one of the pictures....slipper chairs near the TV but sort of pointed in. My suggestion for grills is to hang them vertical behind the lamp and the plant. Of course the floor lamp will be pulled out closer to the slanted slipper chair. I would put just one picture where the mirror is. A bunch of pictures/paintings will look too cluttered IMHO. Also the round glass table....looked good as a coffee table in front of your couch....is it really too small? Round table with lamp at the end of your couch looks good!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Here are some layouts that illustrate options and potential problems for the living room.