Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phish_gw

Need advice for how to display many pretty rocks

phish_gw
10 years ago

I travel a lot and collect a lot of pretty rocks. Some are pea-sized, some are strawberry-sized (normal strawberries, not the ones full of hormones), some are kiwi-sized, possibly some as big as orange-sized. These aren't the gorgeous rocks you buy at rock shops, but decent relatively pretty colored and patterned rocks that I find on the beach in remote places. I have too many to just put in a glass bowl and would like to find a way to display more of them.

I'm at a loss for how to display them. I'm open for any ideas on displaying them either inside or outside.

Comments (23)

• violetwest
    10 years ago

in a nice shallow tray, perhaps? maybe a trough shaped one in wood or hypertufa?

In my opinion, collections are best displayed when they are either massive, or relatively small. If you have too many to fit in a bowl, maybe . . . you have too many; downsize or rotate? Just a thought.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

We`re rock collectors too. Ive got bookcases full of them, and i started to put them in pretty silver trays and glass vases (especially for the tiny ones) I`ve even filled two large fish bowls with collected ones.

I tuck them in here and there throughout the house. When theyre contained its easier to do that. I group larger ones and use some as book ends.

Recently acquired a large chunk of rose quartz and i inadvertentlyplaved it under a lamp on a side table. DDiscovered when i turned the lamp on, the stone glowed! We are currently in the process of converting an old gun case into a glass shelved, lighted curio for some of our more exotic minerals and stones.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

"My husband and I are geologists so we have a ton of rocks. Literally. When we last moved, the movers thought it was a joke all the boxes labeled "Rocks." Joke was on them."

haha! that's pretty funny!

I like the idea of a shadow box coffee table display.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Love the idea of the display boxes -- especially one that could double as a coffee table -- perhaps consider adding an old-fashioned style paper label with some info on the rock or where it was found -- maybe even add a photo of the location .....

Yes -- love the idea of a tray full of bowls (maybe just plain small white ones from Ikea) with seasonal-colored rocks with a small white vase of flowers in the middle (or at one corner)

Yes -- under a lamp! So very pretty!

• rosie
    10 years ago

Whereas I'm guessing you should keep collecting. :)

Water would show off the colors nicely.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Just saw Geokid's post. Funny! Your choice of special favorites on display by your greater passion. I'm guessing you won't be spraying water over them to make them prettier. :)

• threeapples
    10 years ago

We also collect rocks. I am putting ours in a lot curio cabinet.

My grandmother had a fireplace mantel made our of her rocks and geodes--it was stunning. She also put many in their garden (they lived in the SW) and poured water on them for us to show us how they came to life and color when wet. :)

• geokid
    10 years ago

We do have a lot outside as well. Those are the largest and our "average" pretty rocks. The "special" rocks like the fossils and the ancient water ripples and the rock I made out of lava in Hawaii stay inside.

• kai615
    10 years ago

We also collect rocks here. Although I must say since my 4 year old has started "collecting" more comes in the house, gets added to the shelves, and has to disappear again. Otherwise all the gravel from our driveway will end up on display all over the house.

Do a search on ebay for "type set drawer". I have two hanging in my bedroom. One actually holds a collection of mini turtles my husband buys me when he travels and the other the smallest of our rocks. The pea and strawberry sized ones fit perfectly. We are not finished the upstairs of our house yet and they are not where they are supposed to be and therefore not lit properly, but with proper lighting they do look very neat filled up with tiny things inside.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I don't have any new suggestions to add, but I just had to say that Geokid's first post made me laugh out loud and Rosie's pictures are gorgeous.

• phish_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the great ideas and pretty pictures. I'm glad I'm not alone in my rock habit. And Geokid I think I want to move in with you!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

IKEA has a display coffee table for $279. I'm sure it can be painted. Here how others have used it to display their collections.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA Coffee Table

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

I use large lidded jars for our shells. They would work for small rocks, too. In areas where there is not a tipping danger, those tall, narrow glass cylinders would look nice. I bought a cylinder for display use, then stole it for use as a "hamper" for our dinner napkins. Around our house, many items tend to get repurposed for uses not included on their labels. ;)

• caroline94535
    10 years ago

My "rock collection" is large granite rocks picked up from the edges of various fields. They are mostly all about twice the size of a basketball and have been a real challenge to haul and place and arrange...and re-arrange.

The garden will be bisected with a 6-ft. pathway that will also be edged with rocks. They will form a curvy border on the inside, but for now it's plotted out with a straight line.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I have a lot of rocks and shells. I have certain special ones in glass boxes from West Elm, which I love. Not sure if they still have them. I also like the look of small rocks in a wood bowl or trough.

Love the idea of the Ikea display table.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    10 years ago

Love that I'm not the only person who collects rocks from across the land to drag home with me! Some ways I display my collection include the following--

I made drawer pulls from some of my rocks for my kitchen cabinets and drawers, and a bureau or two. I bought a clear glass lamp base from Lowes and filled it with "lucky" rocks, Maine beach rocks that have a white strip encircling them. I keep a canning jar full of rocks and water on my desk as a paperweight. Occasionally I drain the jar, rinse and refill, bit not that often. The water makes the rocks very pretty. Finally, we have stacks of similarly shaped/colored beach stones at places throughout the house, on the hearth, in a corner, near the bathroom sink, on a shelf, etc.

Have fun!

• phish_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mabeldingeldine where in Maine did you get your lucky rocks? I got some in Maine this past summer and I'd love to look for some like yours on my next trip. Also, I met someone once who collected agates and kept in a jar. She said she kept them in mineral oil instead of water (I think it was the same affect but she didn't have to change it as much?)

• madeyna
    10 years ago

To keep myself sane from kids who collect rocks I made a rock garden right my our front door. When the kids bring home pocket fulls of rock they can empty them there and sit and go threw thier rock treasures with freinds anytime they like. I have a bit of a rock habit as well but those are much to big to be in the house and most of them live in a fake rock stream we created for that purpose.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    10 years ago

Phish I've been collecting lucky rocks for years all over Maine. Really, any beach with rocks might have them. Jasper Beach near Machias is a completely pebble beach and I know we found some there, but really, pick your beach and keep your eyes peeled. Lately we've been collecting heart shaped rocks, too.

Thanks for the mineral oil tip, I might give that a try.

• teaka123
    6 years ago

Here in the NW what you call "lucky" rocks we call "wishing" rocks!

• winker58
    6 years ago

I'm in the same boat as far as display goes. Can anyone suggest a good place online to purchase specimen rocks.