Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katyde

DR chair ideas

katyde
9 years ago

This is our DR. I love all of it except the DR chairs.
I have 4 "well loved" (beat-up) vintage bow-backed chairs that I have considered switching out for 4 of the DR chairs and adding 2 upholstered chairs for the ends of the table.
The vintage chairs would be painted (probably white) and the seats reupholstered. Any thoughts?
New products are also a consideration!
I am totally cool with trying something more eclectic as long as the chairs are comfortable!

Comments (7)

• katyde
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another angle

• katyde
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another another angle

• User
    9 years ago

May we see the proposed chairs?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

IMO, white is too informal for that room, which is filled with traditional pieces. Rather, I'd paint them in a high-gloss black (high gloss to do with the table) and then pick a fabric that pulls one of the subtle colors from the rug for the seats.

It's a lot more difficult, but I'd also consider painting the base of the table black.

the black would tie in with the chandelier, the cream of the rug, and the formality of the room, I think.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 12:31

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Before i select the furniture, I'd work on the bones of the room. It's pretty beige, and the rug doesn't really add much punch to the room either. I don't think adding white painted furniture is the fix for this room. Table looks too small for the room too.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I wouldn't add more white into the room through painted white chairs. Keep the white on the perimeter. You already have white corner cabinets and trim.

I don't know if you actually have a need for new chairs or, as beverly27 suggested, you are looking to punch up the room some how. I think the chairs are fine in style. If they are uncomfortable what about having them recovered in a more interesting and perhaps vibrant pattern with a good portion of foam for comfort. And sure, buy different end chairs that can lead to a more eclectic look but in keeping with the same style..

What are your window coverings like?

• katyde
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmm. The color is revere pewter which I actually love, I like the idea of giving the room punch with a new rug and re-upholstering the chairs... rug suggestions anyone? I am not devoted to this rug at all. This is the top of the bow back chairs in our old house / prior owners curtains still hanging. The table has a leaf too and when it is in the table is a good fit in there. I have a 3 year old who likes to run so keeping the leaf out helps with avoiding some bruises.