Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Software for sketching window elevations

Posted by mtnrdredux (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 11:15

What's the best thing to use to play around with exterior fenestration layout? Skecthup? Or is there somthing specific to windows?

thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Software for sketching window elevations

Sketch up is fairly easy to pick up and it's amazing how quickly you can draw a house/add windows, doors etc. Take a few of the online tutorials and you should be able to do what you want, especially if you have general house dimensions. Best, oldbat2be

o

Yes, thanks, I've been using Sketchup but they don't have the exact windows I want.

Thanks!

o

OK - just double-checking that you've already tried drawing it yourself, already in Sketchup, using the dimensions?

I also have Chief Designer's Architect Plus. You can download various Library Catalogs (i.e., tile, countertops, flooring, roofs, etc).

I'm on version 9 (a little out of date) but I just checked and there are no window libraries for my version but for newer versions (Chief Architect Premier/Interiors, Home Designer Pro/Architectural/Suite) there are libraries for Marvin, Integrity and Therma-True. Best of luck and very much enjoy reading about your projects and watching your progress, oldbat2be

o

Oldbat2be,

I am a neophyte at Sketchup. I used it for my little stone house, and now I am playing with it as I ponder what we might do with the beachhouse we are looking at.

For windows and such, I import them as components. I just can't find the windows Id like to use, and it changes the look so much! I can't imagine drawing the window myself, but maybe I should try it.

Not sure if I should try the product you are talking about; assume it is not free!

tia

o

I think we paid ~150, no not free but with all your
projects... :)

There may be a tutorial on sketchup for drawing windows, worth checking. I am a neophyte too but found it amazingly good with just using dimensions, drawing rectangles and using the push/pull. Here was a backsplash I mocked up; I was really surprised at how realistic it looked. So, one big rectangle for the house and then a few smaller ones for the windows and doors...

o

Wow. OB2be, you are good!

I am having trouble getting dimensionality on things I draw. For example, I drew a porch roof. It is not a rectangle, it is a trapezoid. After I drew it, I tried to use the push pull to give it some dimensionality and opaqueness. DIdn't do anything .... ideas?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here