Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window Treatments on Sliding Glass Doors

Posted by dilly_ny (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 11:15

We just installed an Anderson Sliding door (5 feet wide). We will be staining the wood and adding window pane inserts. I did not originally plan to cover this door, but living with it IRL has changed our plan and we would now like the option to easily cover the glass.

A large curtain rod hung above the door with drapes to each side seems to be the only option I can think of, but I have purchased some nice wall hangings for each side of the door that would then be covered. Can you think of any other option?

Here's the door:
Photobucket

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window Treatments on Sliding Glass Doors

If the fabric you are planning to use for the drapes is not super heavy and you don't need/want the entire window exposed when the drapes are open, you can use a single panel that is pulled to the side of the stationary pane. That's what I have and almost no glass is covered when my drape is open. Your side door frame appears a bit smaller than mine but it should still work. I have an Anderson slider also. From the outside edge of my door frame to the inside edge of the window grill it measures almost 9" - your's might be a bit less but that is your side stack area that won't impact the view. But I see you have a large switch panel - that won't be in the way of the hangings you plan to use? Honestly, with your fireplace, TV, chandelier, bookcase.....your wall hangings may not be shown to their best advantage flanking the door anyway. If you use them elsewhere you could easily have your curtain panel(s) stack back fully off the doors and frame.

o

I purchased a burlap type drape (returnable), but I am just not sure I like it or if its too fussy for the rustic look I am trying to achieve.

Dlm2000 - thanks for your idea. I had not thought to push drapes to one side.

o

Woven wood roman shades or roll up shades with a valance would keep it simple and rustic yet lend privacy and light control.

o

AnnieD- I thought I would like a woven wood type shade, but I am not sure how I could hang it and have the door still be operational. Also, I want the wood trim on the top of the door to show.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here