Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scarlett001

Toning paint down a notch - Montgomery White?? Other ideas??

Scarlett001
10 years ago

I posted about medium-depth orangey yellow pants. I've done huge tests of 3 paint colours on my vaulted ceiling wall. I now feel nervous putting such intense colour all over my house. I had been in the world of RH Butter, BM Straw (mixed at 75%) etc.

FYI my floors are hardwood, and I have a gorgeous very warm-toned rust-coloured couch, and kitchen floor is a gorgeous Tuscan-inspired orangey-pink tile. My previous paint colour choice was Ivoire which played HUGE green undertones in my house and looks awful with my colours in the rest of the house. Hence the repainting.

If I were to take things down a notch and head into slightly lighter colours but in the same kinds of shades (yellowy orange - not sure if I want to head into neutral whites), where would I start? What kinds of options in SW or BM is there for creamy light/pale yellows with orange undertones preferred - but with NO green undertones at all (my house plays up green undertones).

So far I've been staring at the BM colours:
- Montgomery White
- Rich Cream
- Filtered Sunlight (maybe too pastel yellow)
- Kansas Grain
- Subtle (perhaps it is too Subtle?)

Has anyone seen these colours? How do they show? Any other ideas of other colours for me to look at that would work with my house colours? I live in Canada so Ellen Kennon paints are not an option.

This post was edited by Scarlett001 on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 11:23

Comments (11)

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Do you know anyone in the States that could do an EK order for you and then ship it to you? Provided you've tested the color first.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I have SW Jersey Cream in my living room. I love it but it is too light with my orangey brick colored sofa. I need to have it repainted now but I have too many other irons in the fire ATM. You may like SW concord buff or cupola yellow.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Does your BM store have a color consultant?

• Scarlett001
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've paid a few people attached to a BM store to come out the my home, and they were no particular help.

I seem to have a house that plays up the apricots/yellows in yellows during the day, and plays up the green in in yellows at night. So getting a colour to look good during the day and evening is near impossible.

I've been trying for a semi-Tuscan inspired feel with warm yellow/orange wall colours - but I just cannot get the right colour. Part of me wants to give up and turn to white - but I am sure the whites are just as confusing as the yellows. Sigh...

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

I seem to have a house that plays up the apricots/yellows in yellows during the day, and plays up the green in in yellows at night.

Well, that's confusing. Daylight is uncontrollable, artificial is controllable. It's usually the other way around.

We are naturally more attuned and sensitive to green light - in fact digital cameras have twice the amount of sensors in the green array compared to the blue and red arrays.

Curious if others see what you're seeing with the greeness with the colors you're testing. (Ivoire kinda doesn't count because it has an edge of green most of the time anyway. SW yellows/golds notoriously go green.)

• shmooo
    10 years ago

Is the problem with Ivoire only at night? Have you tried different light bulbs? I switched from incandescent to fluorescent in a room where I wanted the paint to look more greenish.

• Scarlett001
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have tried different lightbulbs and it no help. :(

Funcolors, it is strange, isn't it? Others can see the green thing to, so it is not just the way I am seeing it.

I just feel as if to make it look good at night, it will have to be an apricot during the day - and to make it look good during the day, it will have to look like barf green/yellow at night. I cannot win!!

I tested Montgomery white and a nice yellow during the day, but showing green at night. Blah.

So - I have started another thread asking for new ideas/paint colours as I think this yellow thing is not going to work for my house!!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

Saw that. Think you're spot-on with regard to full spectrum being a possible solution. Bummer you can't get it in Canada. Wondering if the BenM stores offer their full spectrum Color Stories line in CA? That might be an option to look into and I'll tell ya why.

I am adamant about the fact that the color formula provides no useful insight and the only thing that matters is fully cured and dry color.

With the exception of gray/black colorant (there's an exception to just about everything). Leaving out the gray/black colorant changes the color mixing paradigm.

Using the word always when speaking to color is always a risk because color is a moving target. But colors from the yellow hue families that end up showing an edge of green *almost* always contain black.

Full spectrum doesn't use black colorant. As a result, it is often a good solution for rooms that have an inherently greenish quality of light. All a paint color can do is respond to the light that's falling on it by reflecting the wavelengths of light that they both have in common. Mitigate the potential for greeness in the paint color and it doesn't have any greenes with which to respond to the light source. With colors from the yellow categories, that usually means excluding black from the mix.

• Scarlett001
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the post.

I don't recall Color Stories having any suitable colours. Affiinity line has Subtle that is a contender - does Affinity paint use blacks/greys or not? I can ask at the store.

But what I can do is inspect the formula of various paints I am sampling to see if black/grey is in them.

I pinned a few samples up on my wall with white paper around them (I do this before purchasing sample can) and BM paint "Cream" did not appear to go green at night, and is not screaming orange so far (early morning here, no sunlight yet). I had thought it was too orange before but maybe not. It looks similar to Pumpkin Seeds when I look online at samples. I hope that I am not wimping out by going to the lighter colours, but I've decided that some light/airiness is needed to counteract that medium dismal green thing I've been staring at for a year!!

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/cream#ce_s=cream

• maddie260
    10 years ago

I had a hard time with yellows also; they looked, for lack of a better word, harsh in my house. Montgomery White and RH Butter were screaming yellows in my lighting. I ended up going with a BM yellow called Buttermilk, # 919; it's very subtle with no green or orange tones. Good luck!

• Scarlett001
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think that Buttermilk does not have enough orange undertone which I need in my house to negate the green at night. But it was on my list of paints to look at.

I actually have decided that I was wrong. My house plays up green at night, but underplays the apricot during the day as well (does not turn yellow paints green during the day, but paints that are apricot on the chip look nowhere near as apricot during the day in my house).

For this reason, Kansas Grain (in my other thread) is now a contender. :)