Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Should I lengthen the pool for aesthetics?

rockybird
9 years ago

I'm remodeling a newer pool and putting in landscaping and new decking.

Someone on a previous thread alluded to the hot tub location being off. I have a quote to lengthen the pool to create more room on that end. I dont think I need to do it, but I wanted to see what other people thought. I can only go so far, though, as I might someday add an addition in front of the pool and because of the setbacks, the addition front would line up with the side of the house next to the pool.

I think once the concrete patio and landscaping goes in, things should look more balanced, but I would appreciate other people's opinions.

Each square is 8x8ft. so there is about 12 ft to edge of house.

Comments (10)

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I wouldn't add length to the pool, unless you want it to look even more ostentatious then it already does (and it's not even complete ;)

I assume that's a columnade or walkway, which frames the vista very well, btw. You might want to continue something like that near the hot tub (in wood? a pergola? canvas cabana?) to make the spa look more like a destination, and so it stands out a bit from the background. It doesn't have to surround or even cover the tub, could be to the sides or behind, a place for a lounge chair or a landing pad to set a pile of towels and a drink tray.

I know you are going to pave it, but it begs for a vertical structure to give it a sense of purpose, and design, rather than looking like an add-on to the pool or after thought. The vertical could be as simple as covered benches, set back to either side of the spa.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 11:50

• persnicketydesign
    9 years ago

I don't think you should do it, Rockybird. I love how you've stayed true to MCM throughout. Adding on to the pool would do nothing to enhance that vision and could possibly create problems with the addition that you've been considering. IMHO it's best to leave well enough alone on this one!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I don't think it's necessary.

• luckygal
    9 years ago

IMO there is no need to increase the length of this pool for esthetics or any other reason. I agree with Lilylore that a pergola would look good. I expect you have a landscaper to design this area and it will look very different once plants, shrubs, large rocks, furniture, etc. are in place.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

There's not a thing wrong with the spa location. I'm sure you intend landscaping, hardscaping, etc. that will make it more private. I definitely would not extend into a space you may someday want to build on.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Love it! Its perfect.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Don't lengthen it - unless you want to isolate the spa even more than it is.

After the paving is in, according to the top drawing, you will have a nice pool-party area where the dirt is, with a short walk to the spa.

Your whole house is asymmetrically placed blocks of space - why should the pool be any different?

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

I love it. no expanding of pool needed. once landscaping/hardscape are in it'll be so beautiful!

are you in the N Phx area?

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! You all are so helpful! This definitely makes me feel better about not lengthening it.

I will definitely think about adding a vertical structure, Lillylore and luckygal. i think there will be some strategically placed trees to hide the house behind.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

The vertical structure could be as little as adding a decorative fence behind the spa, and wide tiled areas to either side. I see that you have those 60's openwork bricks in the front of the house?.

But it might be nice to have something to hang lanterns from during a party.