Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justretired_gw

Have you ever painted your backsplash?

justretired
10 years ago

Well I am officially just sick. About 2 months ago, after months of agonizing, I picked our backsplash. It is just wrong. We really cannot afford to tear out and replace (well I could, but that would mean we could not replace our trim and interior doors) so I am wondering if anyone here has ever painted their porcelain BS. I cannot imagine painting around all of the grout but guess I could just take my time and get it done. Maybe use a small sponge?

Thanks.

JR

Cross-posted in Kitchens Forum

Comments (18)

• User
    10 years ago

I painted my backsplash in our first house I used marine enamel then took a toothbrush and put some splatters on it. It was still in good shape after 4 years when we sold. It looked painted but way better than the lovely mushrooms that it started with. I painted right over the grout all white then the splatters.

• Jules
    10 years ago

I haven't, but I have painted a porecelain tile fireplace surround. It turned out great and held up wonderfully, although it didn't get wiped and scrubbed as a backsplash would.

Maybe try painting an unattached tile and test the wear on it by washing it repeatedly as you would a backsplash.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

In my lake house it's all painted white and holds up for about 3 years and then needs a new coat. I didn't want tile.

• justretired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I am glad to hear it has been done with some success. I do have a few extra tiles so I could experiment. I have (I hope) provided a link to my post in the Kitchens forum. I have added a couple of pictures .

Thanks, everyone.

JR

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchens

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

There is special "tub and tile" paint available (in white at least) if you want it to be scrubbable... you'd probably need to lightly sand and use a primer made to bond to slick surfaces if you use regular paint.

• deegw
    10 years ago

I looked at your pics I think your tile looks great. Really. I shudder at many backsplash and granite combos and I really like yours

What don't you like about it? If you think it's too light, you could experiment with an enhancer that might darken the tile a bit. If the grout is throwing things off for you, you can color that as well

Please don't paint the tile It will look dull and lifeless.

Can you post a wide view of the room? Sometimes a paint color change or lighting change makes everything come together

• deegw
    10 years ago

Here is a link to a slate floor treated with an enhancer. Is your tile stone or porcelain?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• justretired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, all.

What I do not like about it (that the photos do not show as much as IRL) is that there is a pinkish cast to the tiles. When I saw the photo of the enhanced tile, deee, I thought that might really make a difference. And, perhaps, darkening the grout a shade or two.

The tile only connects with paint (BM Fairway Oaks) in one small area. But I suppose that paint, even when not directly adjacent, gives an overall "look" for lack of a better word, to the room that may reflect on the tile.

The thing that is so frustrating to me is that I had cupboard and wall paint chips and a sizeable countertop sample when choosing the tile and everything seemed to go so nicely. Those tile sample boards are heavy and I must have dragged 50 of them home over the course of a couple of months! I really thought I had found "the one."

Well maybe with some small changes I will decide to love it instead of paint it. Fingers crossed.

Thank you.

JR

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

I can see that you selected the stone backsplash to coordinate with your counters. I like the combination, and think the suggestion about slightly darkening the grout would be a good idea. DO NOT PAINT THE STONE.

However, I think your kitchen accessories might need updating, and the cover plates for your electrical outlets should be in a color that would draw less attention to them.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

JR, wow I was thinking this must be really bad as I scrolled down I saw immediately why you chose your bs. It pulls the colors in your granite together nicely. It really is a lovely choice. I so hope that you come to love it because it looks beautiful! I do think the grout may be what is giving your tiles a pinkish cast. My monitor makes the grout look like a pinky taupe.

• peony4
    10 years ago

My fireplace is clad in large stone tile that no longer suited my taste. Before removing and replacing, I thought I'd at least try to paint it, just to see what happened. I primed it, then painted 2 coats of white paint, including grout, and it looks beautiful. I can't believe how much better it looks, and the stone held the primer and paint just fine.

If you are not happy with your backsplash, I recommend pulling a color from the counter (a single color backsplash wouldn't compete so much with your counter--that is the underlying problem with your current situation, no matter the grout color) that also complements the cabinets, and paint the whole backsplash, grout and all, a solid color. You will still see the pattern of the tile, will still have some natural texture from the stone, and the grout will be fine.

My painted stone turned out beautifully.

• chucksmom
    10 years ago

Before I dealt with the grout, I would deal with those switches and switch plates. I didn't notice how they stick out until the last picture. Your trim is white, cabinets white and I'm not sure that even putting on a different switch plate would help. I believe those almond switches and outlets are giving you the pink cast.
    Switches and outlets are easy to replace and inexpensive and you wouldn't necessarily have to do the entire room (although it would drive me nuts not to have them all the same) just the ones on the counter top.
    JMHO

• justretired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I know the outlets and switchplates are terrible. I will work on that ASAP. I guess the color will be obvious when i prop them up there???? Any suggestions?

The grout is actually gray. I asked the tile expert at the decorating center what she recommended to blend rather than stand out and she thought this color. When I stand back and look, however, the lines are really prominent. So darkening the grout is a real possibility.

Thanks for the comments, Beverly. Are you saying that the beige and/or truffle would make good switch /outlet colors or paint color for the walls? As far as the accessories, I use that corner to put out a couple of seasonal things. Normally I have a (black with white mat) frame that contains a recipe written in my grandmother's hand. The lamp is an old one I painted and could probably be replaced, I agree. I do like having some soft light in that corner. I would appreciate any help. I just purchased the soap/lotion caddy from PB so that is staying....

Peony, it is encouraging to hear that painting tile can be done successfully. While I think I have gotten enough positive comments about the BS that I have put the paint idea on hold, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
    I do think that part of the problem I have with the BS is that it has more pattern than I was expecting, especially with the pattern in the counter. I have been wishing for a solid color back there!

Thanks again, all. I promise to have new outlets etc. by the weekend!!!!!!! And will begin to research darker grout colors.

jr

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Justretired,
    The color chart was from a grout company to use for reference. Maybe someone on the forum can address staining or recoloring your grout. I have never had it done.

I have had switch plates faux finished to match the stone for clients. But another choice is to select a metal plate that will blend with your tile. They also can provide cover plates in matching stone, but they do get a bit $$.

Do you have lights mounted under your cabinets? I like a soft light in the kitchen also, but perhaps a fabric cylinder light or something else a bit sculptural for the area. The clock might do better on a painted wall instead of the stone.

• justretired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Bev. I will go switchplate and outlet shopping. That should make a big difference. I know the clock is wrong-it is just temporarily relocated from our office. I only put it there when I was hating all that tile in an attempt to break it up a bit. I still think it could use something in that area but did not want a picture. Some kind of iron art? I do not want anything sitting on the counter. Have done that and don't like cleaning around it.

We do not have undermount lighting. I asked our electrician about it and it sounded more complicated than it was worth. Of course that was for electric lighting coming off of one of the outlets. Maybe there is something else out there...

I will keep my eye out for a different lamp. While I realize the one I have there is not optimal, I do not have any modern in my house. While my style is not "country" I do have some antiques. The most modern thing I have are parsons chairs in the adjacent eating area. But I am sure I can find something better than what I have!

Thank you again for all of your suggestions.

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

I think your tile is pretty. Regarding switch outlets, I have metal ones, and really like them. Two pics coming up. :)

This post was edited by Miz_M on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 15:08

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

From further back, just to give an idea:

• justretired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tile compliment, Miz M. I have had enough positive reaction to it that I guess I may give up my painting idea. Your pics of the dark switch plates on the backsplash help me to see what I need to do. I appreciate that you took the time to post them. I like your BS and kitchen!!