Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicmomm

Another Kitchen cabinets painting dilemma!

Vicmomm
9 years ago

Hi all! I'm just starting my planning to paint my ugly yellow oak cabinets.
My dilemma: The best "white"? I like warm whites, cream tones of white but not too cream, I was thinking BM mayonnaise or Swiss coffee? I'll be ordering samples, any other "warm white" suggestion/pics? Thank you!

Comments (14)

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Consider using one specifically designed for cabinets, such as Cabinet Coat. It's self leveling(no brush/roller marks!)giving a more professional look. I painted mine in a condo several years ago, and used just your everyday Behr semi gloss paint, and it looked like a DIY project. I had never heard of CC or any other self leveling type of paint. FYI, read the differences.

• Vicmomm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! Can you tint this product? it's just too stark white!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I used Ben Moore Lily of the Valley-creamy white. We have used it for all trim and ceilings in our house as well. On the website, it looks yellow, but it doesn't look yellow at all in our house. It is just a beautiful creamy white color that goes with every other color we have. Looks great on our cabinets.

• Michael
    9 years ago

I spray painted my sister's cabinets with BM Chantilly Lace in satin sheen. OC 65.

It was the perfect white for her and her kitchen.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

Im considering either Sherwin Williams Dover White or Creamy for my cabinets. Please post pictures of your progress!

• teeda
    9 years ago

After much agonizing at staring at samples in various lights, I decided on BM Simply White for my kitchen remodel. I used it on the cabinets and trim throughout the living areas. It's a warm white without too much cream. I really like it a lot. Here's one picture from the kitchen, not sure how the color will look at your screen.

• voila
    9 years ago

Cabinet Coat is made by Benjamin Moore, I believe, and yes can be tinted, I think. I would visit a BM store. BM also carries BM Advance. Here is a review by a painting company of the two. Sometimes talking to a knowledgeable person at the paint store will give you the best information.

Here is a link that might be useful: review of CC and Advance

• amykath
    9 years ago

I love Dover White. Simply a creamy off white. No yellowness or any weird undertones.

• sweet_tea_
    9 years ago

I just painted my new cabinets SW Dover White. I love them, they are a nice creamy white, not too yellow, not stark white.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

I have two houses/kitchens, both in which I re-painted existing cabinets: in one,(a north/dark room) I used BM Ivory Tusk which is a real cream color; in the other, (a west facing room with tons of light) Mayonnaise, which takes on a yellow cast in some light, but is much more white.
    Both beautiful colors.

• User
    9 years ago

Haven't used Cabinet Coat but would if I were painting my cabinets. Yes, it can be tinted.

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

I tinted my Cabinet Coat myself to a cream color. The paint is amazing - the finish is very hard and very easy to clean.
    Diane

• ksoxgrl
    9 years ago

wma89, that kitchen is fabulous :) love love love it! I will too be painting our current sage green kitchen cabinets in a white/off white, love the BM Simply White on your cabinets. Will have to check out the cabinet coat paint also!

• crl_
    9 years ago

I used Benj. Moore advance to paint a dresser. It can be tinted to your color choice. It ends up with a beautiful finish. I did have a bit of a learning curve to work with it, having only used regular latex paint before. I found it had a short working time (despite the paint store telling it it would be longer--maybe it was just very dry when I was working?) and a long cure time. I'd allow 24 hours between coats and be sure to give that much time before sanding a coat.

I'm working on a kitchen remodel in the spring and plan to keep and have repainted a built in Hoosier style cabinet that's original to the house. I plan to ask my contractor to use advance for that job.