Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lololauren

CL item: how much would you pay for this?

lolauren
12 years ago

How much would you pay for this "buffet," or would you? :)

Also, it is listed as an antique purchased on the other side of the country. Anyone familiar with it or know the approximate age?

Thanks!

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

Comments (25)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Ooooh... I like it!
    As for paying for it, it is really hard to say. Ever since CL and the never ending stream of furniture for sale, I think prices are lower...
    What are they asking?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

I like it, too. Who made it? How old is it?

I have no idea what such things are worth, only to see there is a glut of this stuff around.

I would say $500, but I am in the orbit of NYC where we think everything is expensive

• lolauren
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They are asking $250 and didn't list who made it. They only have a phone number listed, which I haven't called yet for more specifics.

I thought it was a pretty piece and the price sounded decent. I don't necessarily need it, but it could replace my entry table which is a cheaply made, half-round table I've had since college. :) The lack of needing it is why I was curious what others thought...

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

I like it! It is similarly styled to the piece I have in my breakfast room, but the wood tones on the one you're looking at is prettier than mine. I paid $125 for mine. It would depend on the overall condition of the piece, but my gut feeling is that I'd probably feel comfortable offering $200 or $225 for it.

• lolauren
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. :)

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Lovely piece - go for it.

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

I don't think it's a *true* antique(75-100 years old)but rather vintage. I go to auctions where the real deals are auctioned, and this piece would most likely go for about $150, but then again, it depend on the interest in the piece.

You have to pay what it is worth to *you*, the bottom line when buying anything. It's a very nice piece. ;o)

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I love it! I'd call and ask if the top is scratched or anything. Because the finish is so pretty I wouldn't want to re-do it. $250 sounds reasonable.

And it would match my interior! :)

• kayec28
    12 years ago

I'd snap that baby up in a heartbeat. In my area, you can find sideboards like that, but they're either really dark wood or painted. The beautiful golden brown tone of the wood is what makes that one special IMO. And the simple lines could work with a variety of decorating styles. In antique stores in this area you would probably see those selling for 300.00 and up; for Craigslist the 200.00+ range is about right. I'd offer 200.00 (but only in person, and I would probably accept whatever counteroffer they made, including the original asking price).

• lolauren
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The owner said it does have some scratches on top and had "considered buffing and fixing them" .... I'll check it out later and see what exactly that means.

I truly appreciate your replies! It's helpful to know what is considered reasonable, so I can also make a reasonable offer.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

My gut was offer $150 and go to $200 if you have to, before I saw what they were asking. How long has it been for sale? That would help determine price....

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Buy it for 200 and sell it to me for 500. (kidding, i don't need a stick of furniture)

I look at a piece like that and wonder what you would pay for something new in that style. First, it would be made of mdf ...

• chickadee2_gw
    12 years ago

There's a store near me that sells high quality used furniture on ebay. I've never been there, but I came across them when I was doing a google search to find a nightstand to go with my mother's old Baker bedroom set. Their prices are as far removed from Craig's List prices as you can get. They must be doing well because they take out full page color ads in magazines serving Phila. and the suburbs. After you look at their sideboards, that $250 is a steal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stenella Antiques

• lindac
    12 years ago

It's a Hepplewhite style sideboard. If it were original Hepplewhite from about 1800 it would be worth many thousands of dollars. But I suspect it's a later repro....but can't say how old without a lot closer look.
    Google images of hepplewhite sideboard and check closer if you see one that looks a lot like yours.
    Linda C

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

The suspense is killing me! Did you get it and how much did you end up paying? ;o)

• lolauren
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL, patty_cakes...

Lindac -- Thank you! I have no idea how you know that, but I'm glad you do. I'll be googling next.

It IS a reproduction, but is still solid wood. It is definitely not an antique... I am guessing it's circa 1970. The owners bought it "at an antique store" in Massachusetts and they moved over 25 years ago to this area.

It does have some signs of abuse that need to be touched up on the legs, but that will be no problem.

The sideboard was on CL for less than a day, but it was hidden within an ad for a dining table.

I paid $150. For the size, the overall look and the pretty wood, I think it's a fair price. I would have paid more if it was a true antique and didn't have to be touched up... :)

• les917
    12 years ago

What kind of wood is it? I seem to see dark spots on several places that look like knots, and some uneven areas in the color. Will you be refinishing it or painting it, or leaving as is?

I like the design, and it seems you got it for a good price that makes you happy.

• lolauren
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am not sure about the wood... not my area of expertise. It does have lots of knots. My husband guessed, "pine?" I see the color variation in the photo you mentioned, but I can't see it in person.

It definitely needs to be touched up. I wouldn't want to refinish if it were a true antique, but am undecided since we need to fix/clean it up, anyway.

We have mostly dark walnut (color) wood in our home. Hubby mentioned he'd prefer the piece was darker. I think it is quite lovely as is.

I am currently planning on putting it in our laundry/dog/mudroom, which is primarily white and beige. It fits an open space I have and would serve as a nice spot to set clean clothes when I pull them out of the dryer, set down keys since it is next to the garage door, charge cell phones, etc. To my eye, the color of the wood is a nice contrast to all the light, painted surfaces we have in there. Suggestions or ideas are definitely welcomed...

• lindac
    12 years ago

Lauren.....can you take a good picture of the top and also of the dovetailing on the drawers.....and maybe the back of the piece.
    I really doubt it's 1970's....that style was heavily reproduced in the 1930's.
    Anyhow....glad it has a good home!
    Linda c

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Glad you got it plus a good price!

• celticmoon
    12 years ago

Came back to see if you got it. Yay!!!

• lolauren
    Original Author
    12 years ago

From what I can tell, the furniture company (Mayflower of West Newton & Woburn, MA) came into existence around 1940.

I think most of the wood is pine, with secondary wood oak.

The pulls have lots of patina, and the underside of the pull has an imprint "A 202." They look darker in person than they do in these photos. They appear to be original to the piece.

The screws throughout are flathead. There are also nails and brads in various places.

The joinery is machine-made, right?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

The top looks like it is three pieces of wood, each a different width? But there is no shrinkage between them...
    {{!gwi}}

The top of the inside of a cabinet:
    {{!gwi}}

A pull, flipped up to show imprint:
    {{!gwi}}

• mjsee
    12 years ago

S/He's not even good at spamming...I went to FB and searched the page...and it's not there under that name. (I was going to chastise him/her for spamming us.)

Yeesh.
    On to the actual THREAD--
    Nice pine piece! The joinery is machine made. I'd say it's from the 1950's...but I could be mistaken. There IS an article in a 1964 New Yorker about Mayflower Furniture in West Newton...but I couldn't access the article because I'm no longer a subscriber. (My sister keeps saying she's going to give it to me for my birthday...and she keeps forgetting.)

If YOU are a subscriber--you should be able to get to it from the link I've provided below.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Yorker

• lolauren
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mjsee .... You can chastise at this email: coryjmanning24@aol.com ;) I am not sure why someone would spam like that while linking to all of their personal info.... I guess they are oblivious that that type of "marketing" angers ppl.

I tried to read the NYer article when I was searching the company but got as far as you did. It was written in 1964 and they had been in business at least 24 years, according to what I can see. *shrug* Oh well. It's very interesting to know the history of something, but I will still like the piece without knowing! :)

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

It's a lovely piece and am glad you got it. I also agree it looks like a Hepplewhite reproduction piece from the 1940's-1950's. I have similar pieces in my house with that type of joinery, but not in pine which I think would be a lovely contrast to what you already have. Some DH's think everything has to match, but I think it's more interesting when it does not so don't be concerned about mixing it in with your other pieces. I'd be hesitant to refinish it as you may loose some of that vintage patina. Try using Restore-A-Finish first on those scratches followed by Beeswax. I'd either use a runner or have a glass cut to fit the top to protect it from further scratches. Congrats! I think you got an excellent deal for $150 for the piece.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz