Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_hallock

Redecorating daughter's room. help please!

Kristen Hallock
12 years ago

My daughter is turning 6. Her birthday present this year from her us and my parents is a newly redecorated bedroom. I need to repaint it and we have new bedding and some new stuff for her walls.

I would like to paint her room a shade of blue. Right now it is very very pink. I am not sure what blue to go with though. I was thinking of BM Sweet Bluette because I saw it in Pottery Barn Kids. But am open to other blues. Any favorites?

The woodwork is white, but her furniture is a dark expresso color.

The bedding is Pottery Barn Kids Brooke

{{!gwi}}

We have a new nightstand for next to her bed and her grandmother bought her a beautiful jumbo sized butterfly mirror like this to put over the nightstand (makes more sense here since she will be able to see herself in it, her dresser is a tall one)

We also have 2 large and 1 small bird mirrors like this

I was thinking about getting some kind of tree decal for her wall. There are a ton online but I need help picking the one that will coordinate with the bedding the best. Plus help with a great paint color. Preferably a shade of blue.

I'll update this later with a current picture of the bedroom so you can get an idea of what we're working with. I am also in dire need of window coverings. She has old drab leftover curtains in there now with plastic blinds. But I would like to get rid of both and either just put in like Honeycomb white shades or also have some kind of curtains on top of those.

Her bed is just like this. Oh, and we got her a canpoy to put above her bed, one of those tulle things that hangs from the ceiling.

{{!gwi}}

The floors are carpeted, a white carpet with speckles.

Thanks!

Comments (33)

• Cindy1961
    12 years ago

The nice thing about that bedding is that you can go with a lot of different colors! But, if you want to go with blue, what I would do is go to one of the paint stores and bring home samples. then compare them to the blue in the spread, and probably pick something between the very light sky blue of that one block with the tree, and the darker blue of the trunk. Or, I'd go with the sky blue for the ceiling and then a darker blue, closer to the trunk shade for the walls.

You say the carpet has "Speckles." What color are they?

No matter what you do though, the room is going to be a very pretty room, your daughter must be thrilled!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

What fun! At six, I would think you could maybe be asking her a lot of these questions? My girls are now 8 and 9, but even at 5 they helped pick out their decor. I just carefully edited what they were allowed to choose from (eg no disney krap).

Have you seen Serena and Lilly or Pine Cone Hill or Posh tots? Try Etsy too.
    But I would start with her inspiration(s).

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

wait a sec -- just realized i misread, and you have the bedding

easiest and least expensive route is PBK window treatments

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

Just take the quilt to the paint store and have them color match the darker blue in it. And edit out some of the other pink in the room to green accents instead. If you want a tree, you just need the barest of bare bones branch pattern. What I'd do would be to take some tracing paper and trace one of the small tree patterns in the quilt, then use an overhead projector to project it on the wall. Draw it out, and fill it in with the green. Then find an inexpensive wallpaper for the "leaf halo" like the fabric that they are using in the quilt. In fact, if you can't find wallpaper, you can use fabric applied with starch and use rickrack glued on the edge to finish it off. Use the same fabric for a roman shade. It's easy to DIY with the kit from Hancock.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

the speckles are a very dark purple. Its pretty neutral. Just enough to question whether the rug is dirty or not? LOL

• tinycastles
    12 years ago

Just want to chime in and say I adore the Brooke bedding. Does your daughter have the owl pillows? I think the Sweet Bluette would be perfect with the bedding. It is a very pretty shade of blue.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We don't have the owl pillows, but maybe I will get them! Thank you! I will try Sweet Bluette. I would like to keep the color light and bright since her furniture is so dark.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What do you think of these curtains?

Would the pattern be too much? Or would it be cute? They are only $8.95 per 84" panel at Land of Nod...

• ttodd
    12 years ago

I love, love, love the Brook bedding! I wanted it for DD's nursery but was so indecisive that she didn't end up w/ new nursery bedding.

One of my favorite pale blues is SW Buoyant Blue 6483. It's pale and leans towards the warmer side of blue I think.

I painted DD's dresser w/ it. Color was great - paint was crap (I had it mixed in another brand and was not happy one bit).

Here is a link that might be useful: Buoyant Blue pics

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ttodd - Love the Bouyant Blue! Thanks for the suggestion!

• Oakley
    12 years ago

One of my bedrooms was painted in a color similar to bouyant blue. It was cold feeling. Repainted it after a year.

I love the bedding and bed. I would try to duplicate the room at PB. White or cream walls. I'd also get the rug in the picture.

Both of my grandchilren have the PB rugs, one blue for the boy, the other pink for the girl. Walls are painted cream and it gives an airy, bright feel that PB rooms give off. Which IMO, makes their bedding a lot prettier.

I love PB bedding for kids!

• ellenm08
    12 years ago

I absolutely love that this is her gift! I don't have a specific paint color to offer up - but I just found (and am obsessed with) this new app from Houzz. Most of the photos are tagged with product information and links to the designers who created the spaces so you can ask anything you'd like about the room!

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz Kids' Rooms

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ellenm08 - Thanks I will have to check that out. I find it so hard to buy toys for her. She really has so much and new toys get played with for a short time, then cast aside. And she will get toys from friends at her birthday party, more toys from family, and then we have Christmas coming up!

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I went to talk with a colorist at my local BM store. I showed her the bedding sample, and told her my DD wanted blue walls. She first picked out Blue Hydrangea. She mentioned maybe a brown accent wall? My DD has dark brown expresso colored wood furniture though. Then she also suggested maybe doing Harbor Fog on 3 of the walls and then putting Blue Jean (2 darker than Harbor fog and 1 darker than Blue Hydrangea on the 2rd wall(that has 2 windows).

Any input on that? I did google Harbor fog and found someone who used the same bedding as I will be using and painted the entire room in Harbor Fog. But they have white furniture.

Also, tell me what do you think about curtains? I will have white cellular shades I think. Should I have white curtains as well? Long or short? Would you do solid curtains or maybe just sheers (since we will have the room darkening shades?

• kdw72697
    12 years ago

Pardon the off-topic interruption, but Khallock, is that your own photograph of your own room or a picture you found online? I LOVE this wall-mounted book shelf and would like to find out more about it!

• dawnp
    12 years ago

I like the harbour fog and like also the idea of doing two shades darker on one wall. I did that with lilac shades in my daughter's room and we loved it.

Yes. I think adding curtains to the windows in addition to the shades will look best. It's much softer for a litte girl's room.

It's going to look great!

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I was going to suggest what Live Wire Oak did but go with the lighter blue so it is more like a sunny sky and the canopy like a whispy cloud against it. You can do two colors, but I would put the darker behind the bed so it is part of that focal point canopy rather than competing with it.

For your curtains, I was wondering if you were using the bedskirt shown in the catalog photo. Either way, my thought as to mimic that idea with plain sheers (purchased or made out of tuille if that it what the bedskirt is) and customize with ribbons in the pink, blue, green and yellow to be fun and light. If you don't sew, you can use iron on hem tape -- and if you buy tuille, you don't need to hem. Just cut straight. Use a rod with the hook rings to hang them, or drape across the top in one long swag to the floor if you don't plan to close them and just use the shade for privacy.

The curtain you posted doesn't look like it will go with the bedding colors -- at least not what is showing up on my screen. That's always tricky.

I want to do a girls room! I had two boys. ;-)

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I love her bed.

• loribee
    12 years ago

I love this gift and what you've selected so far. Blue hydrangea will be very pretty. :)

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kdw72697 - this is a picture i found online. But my kids both have similar bookshelves that are just a bit larger. I bought them at Pottery Barn Kids. To be honest, they are great for baby books, but I'm not sure if they will be of much use as they get older. Maybe we just have too many books, but we also have stacks of books on the floor overflowing from the shelves.

dawnp - Thank you! Now would you do solid curtains or just sheers? I dont want to do both, would rather just have 1 layer of curtains. Thanks!

lascatx - I like your idea of the darker blue on the wall where the bed is. I really need to get a picture for you guys to see how it is now. I am not opposed to moving things around. I can see how it would be nice to have the canopy against the darker blue as a focal point. We do not have a bed skirt. I dont think her bed can take one. She has a trundle underneath is. I cant sew to save my life so I would probably just purchase sheers. Do you still think sheers is the way to go even if we dont have a bedskirt?

Loribee - Thanks!

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, I have some pictures of the room in its current atrocious state. I took these as I was running out the door on the way to work. You can see why we need to redecorate! Those ugly curtains were put up when we moved in to block the light and I never got around to getting nice ones!

Ok, so the shelf over her bed will have to move to make room for the new canopy. Not really sure where we will put it yet.

She is getting a night stand that matches her bed (Larkin from PBK). She'll have that huge butterfly mirror, probably for over the nightstand. She'll have the pink canopy over the head of the bed.

I might try to save those butterflies that are on her walls now. They had to be put up with that thick double sided padded tape, so it will be a chore to get them down and sand the walls. I am sure the paint will come off with the tape.

The rocking chair in the corner of the room can probably go. She never uses it. I could move it to my living room or the rec room in the basement.

So...any more input? Oh, from looking at this picture, I might want to paint the ceiling a nice bright white, huh? The crown molding I think was a DIY job from the previous owner.

• ttodd
    12 years ago

I like the Harbor Fog idea too.

For curtains you may want to consider sticking w/ white since you are going to be doing a white canopy. You could add a thin coordinating ribbon on the white curtains or add white pom-pom fringe to the leading edges of the curtains. For kids rooms I think that shorter sill length curtains are fun.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ttodd - The canopy is actually going to be pink. LIke this I believe. (my mom bought it so I am not 100% sure)

{{!gwi}}

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Borrowing this idea from another thread

You could use a length of tuille with hooks like that, a clip of some type. Paint them different colors. If you don't want to try attaching a ribbon, you could just drape it (them) along with the tuille. Or use two shades of tuille -- see how that fabric is two prints? Imagine it mainly white with some pink along the top -- just a bit so it isn't too much with the canopy. You can even buy 6" wide tuille "ribbon" at craft stores pretty inexpensively ($3) and use that for any colors. You could make the whole thing just a valance, sill length or to the floor.

If you put the bed against that wall, you either wouldn't use a separate window treatment or wouldn't use the canopy there. If the bed is on that wall, you might want to have a chair or beanbag in a corner where she can have a special "private" reading/playing space. The sides of the canopy could be tied back to the walls to give a pretty drape when open and let her close it when she wants.

• babs711
    12 years ago

My daughter (coincidentally with the name Brooke) is also six and has given a lot of input on what color she wants her room. Does your daughter want blue? I have to seriously question that paint store person suggesting a BROWN accent wall for a six year old girl! My little girl HATES brown!! I can't imagine!! Anyway, Brooke has a comforter with very similar colors including lavender and wants lavender walls. She's adamant about the her walls. So I'm along with the others asking if you've asked her opinion. I wanted her to do a soft robins egg blue. I tend to think of a blue cut with a bit of green as being a little more girly. But I have a very girly six year old on my hands! Yours may be different! Mine didn't want blue at all because it wasnt girly enough. At least I think that's the reason! What about Palladian Blue and cutting it to 50% for the ceiling or doing a pale opal pink shade there?

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

babs - Yes, DD has requested blue. She used to be a pink girl, but now her new fav color is blue. I would say she is pretty girly (she loves dresses!) but she can be boyish as well sometimes. But yeah, she requested blue. I want to keep it light and bright. I liked robin's egg blue. Robin's nest. Sweet Bluette.

I couldnt believe that the color person suggested a brown accent wall either. I was thinking "I dont think DD would go for THAT" LOL!

DD actually pointed to a very dark shade of blue when she saw some paint chips. But I would like lighter. I know what you mean about a more greenish blue. Harbor Fog is very light. I also like Lavender Ice which is the color in the photo above that has the canopy. But I dont think that will match the bedding, and its more purple than blue.

• robin_DC
    12 years ago

Are the land of nod curtains still available in 84" length? If so, I think they'd complement the pink canopy & relate it to the blue walls. Plus, the price is great, which is helpful in case she tires of this decor scheme (or the wall color at least) soon.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I found another picture from Pottery Barn that shows the Brooke bedding with Caribbean Mist paint. That is just 1 chip away from the Harbor Fog. What do you think?

• dawnp
    12 years ago

I think I like the Harbor fog - just an opinion, however. Why don't you get a sample of both to try?

I just saw your question about the curtains. I think I would do a crisp solid fabric, not sheer. I love TTodd's idea of adding the pom-pom fringe or ribbon as an accent!

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, brought home more paint chips last night and DD likes the idea of doing a darker wall. But she liked the color Seaside Blue for the dark wall. Which means we would use Clear Skies (2 up from that on the same chip) for the other 3 walls. This is more of a green-blue I think. Any input?

I do think that Seaside Blue matched the trunk of the tree better than the Blue Jean color that the paint person picked out. Seaside blue seems very turquoise though. I hate having to decide on a paint color!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I like your new choices much more. I think the other blues seemed too powdery for the bedding. This combo will work better as she gets older.

If you are uncertain, why not try one step to the side with Passion Blue and Morning Sky Blue as those are a little less bright?

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I like those colors as well! I guess I might have to resort to samples.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I am about to buy the paint. I never had time to do samples and I need to paint tomorrow!

I am so torn on color. Not sure if I will do an accent wall. Thats whats killing me about the color mostly. I think without the accent wall I would be happy with Sweet Bluette and it will look nice.

I was also thinking of:
    morning sky blue/passion blue
    clear skies/seaside blue

I just saw a pretty room with forget me not.

Why is picking out colors so hard?

I bought some white curtains at Country Curtains that have skinny stripes. They are somewhat sheer. And I have a curtain rod with round pink finials coming from PBK. I also got a table lamp and shade from PBK too.