Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

In love with wallpaper for DR

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

I'm so excited. While I was looking for something else, I came across a wallpaper that I think will be perfect for our dining room at the beachhouse.

One of the things that I think is so cool about it is the inspiration. To quote FNB: "Amime meaning the space between netting; is also taken from a pen and ink drawing. It is a beautifully textured woven design that conjures picturesque scenes of Japanese fishermen repairing their nets" (remind anyone of anything. tee hee)

I also love Farrow and Ball paper, which Ive used elsewhere, because the designs are painted on the paper with FnB paint, which you can clearly see, and which gives them a wonderful depth and texture.

Here's a photo of it, though I am not sure of the colorway I will use. Given the windowseat fabric (a graphic floral in shades of blue) and the adjoining rooms, I will probably go for their grey color way but it does not photograph as well ---though I've seen it in person and will check it in situ as well as other colorways.

Comments (26)

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Very nice!

• User
    9 years ago

mtn,
    LOVE that wallpaper!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! You know what is interesting, that you wouldn't expect? It has an 18" repeat. It looks like a small repeat, because the changes are so subtle...

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Clearly, it was meant to be this!

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Stunning, perfect selection and so creative.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I like it! To me it looks like a new take on lattice / trellis wallpaper, which I have always liked. It will look great in gray with your other blues and whites and spa green blue ocean colors. And it will segue well from DR to the wicker porch furniture, isn't that upholstered in gray and white?

Beautiful, understated choice ðÂÂÂ

ðÂÂÂ

• marcolo
    9 years ago

An ideal backdrop for cleaning up after euthanizing your dog.

• deegw
    9 years ago

marcolo - lol!

There is a hilarious blog that creates snarky comments for catalog photos but I can't remember the name. Your post would be a great submission.

mtnrd - The paper is GREAT.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

deee, it is Catalog Living. See link below.

mtn, I think THE WAVE will look fabulous on it! I like the reference to Japanese fishing nets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Catalog Living

• eaga
    9 years ago

kswl, you beat me to it: ðÂÂÂ

mtn, the wallpaper will look lovely in your home. I too would be excited at such a find!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol, Marcolo ... We've missed you. I was noticing the beat up woodwork, and wishing ours wasn't newly painted. Well, you can't have everything

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

Could someone explain? I see no humor in euthanizing a pet.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The humor is meant to poke fun at catalogues, which show their wares in rather contrived ways. Here, the wallpaper is shown in a what looks to be like a rundown room, with battered molding, a shabby paint chipped chair, a dog collar (?), and a wall paper brush (?).

Why would you show a new, pristine, expensive product in such dour surroundings? Marcolos is poking fun at these attempts to be hip by showing products in Bohemian settings, where surely they will not be utilized. I would imagine that the sad, run down surroundings, and the collar, might have made him think of a shelter. The humor is aimed at the designers, not at all at the pet or the hypothetical situation. As is often the case with humor, it is all the more pointed by being extreme.

Of course, that is just how I see it.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

deleted because mtn explained it better.

This post was edited by bbstx on Thu, Oct 23, 14 at 20:31

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

Perhaps a different choice of words could have expressed the sentiment just as well. Some people feel sad forever after they've lost a family member.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I didn't get the joke either...and guess I don't look at enough catalogs. Iov_mkitchen, I'm one of those people. Last night I had a dream where I was visitied by my beloved dog that died four years ago. Every now and then I see him agin in a dream. I woke up feeling so sad the visit was over.

But back to the topic, I'm glad you found a paper you are happy with for the DR. I look forward to pics of the completed project.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Love it! It reminds me of fishnet stockings (why were you giggling mtn, what am I missing?!) Off to track down what the grey color looks like....

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Love the wallpaper, and the vignette definitely looks like it's out of Catalog Living, LOL.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Gscience, Cerci, BBstx, Joanie, Butterfly, Outside, Yaya, and Dee.

KSWL, yes, it is a riff on lattice, too.

OldBat, I was giggling because of the whole Japanese woodblock print brouhaha from a few weeks back. This paper is very evocative of it. If you missed the thread, you didn't miss much!

Coll, Aww, i know what you mean, I actually have that happen with my Dad. It's actually kind of nice, odd as it sounds, to get to "spend time" with him. Thankfully they have always been pleasant dreams and not anything nonsensical.

We had wonderful pets growing up, but only recently got a dog when we moved here and got property. We all adore her. I know the math is not in our favor and it's so sad to even think of her being gone, even though it she is still young. My DH, who was always anti-dog, actually told me that the biggest reason is that you are pretty certain going into it, that when you get a pet you will outlive it. I had never thought of that. DH is an uber-softie and loves our dog. Heck, he was apoplectic about losing koi.

Lov - Since I am the OP, I will say I am sorry it seemed to strike the wrong chord. Humor can sometimes have a bite, but the intent was to skewer pompous design professionals and not at all to be insensitive to animals or animal lovers, I am sure.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Perhaps the photo is designed to capture the moment when you put down your brush, and realize that you have wallpapered over the dog.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Hahaha, Marcolo! That'll work.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think in the context of Farrow and Ball being an English/European paper the mise en scene isn't as pretentious as it would be here. I think they let things age a bit more naturally than we do here. Decorator Madeleine Castaing's apartment had discolored and loose wallcovering, it was so old, _Amve seen some other fairly battered stuff in non-American decorating books.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"...they let things age a bit more naturally than we do here"

Including their citizens, lol

• theclose
    9 years ago

Ok, marcolo, I'm sitting here crying laughing from your comments! DH thinks I'm crazy.

Mtn, the wallpaper is gorgeous. Smashing, if you will!

• nhb22
    9 years ago

"Could someone explain? I see no humor in euthanizing a pet. "

The comment also took be aback, and I had to look at the photo again to see what the heck marcolo was talking about. I have to admit that it was pretty funny. ;) And I have fresh wounds from putting down our beloved 14 year old JRT last May.

marcolo - Although the 1st comment was funny, I think I like your 2nd explanation even better. :) You have a great sense of humor!

Oh yeah...good choice on the wallpaper. Can't wait to see it hung.

• lynn_r_ct
    9 years ago

marcolo, thanks for the link. I have been cracking up! Just wish there were more. So far my fav was the one where one of the storage bags is names "storage". I think you need to see it to get it though to "get" it.
    http://catalogliving.net/page/6

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro