Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vickij_gw

Using the underside of fabric

vickij
9 years ago

I have been searching for fabric to reupholster an ottoman. I found a great fabric but I much prefer the underside of the fabric. Does anyone know of any contraindications to using the flip side of fabrics? I will ask the person who will be doing the work for me but I value your opinions and expertise too.

Comments (5)

• clt3
    9 years ago

You can use whatever side you prefer.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Because you are doing something "different," be sure to mark which side of the fabric you want the upholsterer to use even though you will have talked to him about it. I would pin a piece of paper on it saying "USE THIS SIDE."

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I agree...no problem using the "wrong" side...so long as the worker knows to do so.

I used the wrong side of the fabric in my bedroom drapes and the right side for the dresser scarf...made for an interesting contrast.

• User
    9 years ago

The back of this chair is upholstered in the "right side up" of the fabric, and the front and seats are all upholstered in the "wrong side" of the fabric. The upholsterer was on board, no loose threads or weave to cause problems, and no problems thus far.

• amck2
    9 years ago

I was just reading an article on designers using the "wrong" side of fabric for a muted effect. Wish I could remember the source. Perhaps Domino or House Beautiful... In any case, your idea is deemed a good one by the pros:)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living