Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd

A Girl Walks Into a Thrift Store....

ttodd
11 years ago

I totally believe in fate! Although I haven't been posting too terribly much lately based on time constraints (mostly though not to bore you all w/ my dribble), I know that many of you know that I've been wanting/talking/saving for a white Ektorp Sofa for a few yrs.

My family has been buying $25 IKEA gift cards for me at Mother's Day etc... to help buy it. Well, last night I got off work early and knowing that DD needed some long pants, I stopped in at a local thrift shop 20 minutes before closing. First of all Christmas music was playing so I new it was going to be a good night even if I didn't find anything for her (I'm one of those antsy Christmas Types). Found a pair of pants & a kilt for her and when I went to pay for it I saw an Ektorp Sectional for $275! It was in like new condition. They agreed to hold it for me and this morning I went back and bought it w/ a $25 coupon & tonight w/ all of my gift cards we're hitting IKEA because now I have enough gift cards for another white slipcover (I insist on 2) & some other items from IKEA that I've had on my list after the sofa!

Pics to follow soon!

Comments (30)

• dody40
    11 years ago

WOW! Lucky you, the stars must be aligned just right for you.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

You must have been a Very Good Girl!

• polly929
    11 years ago

Can I hang out with you??

SCORE!!!

Love stories like that :)

And I agree, 2 slipcovers is a MUST! I have a slipcovered sectional in off white from Penneys, and I only have one. I really need to order another so it isn't naked while I do my monthly washing.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Absolutely perfect timing! Congratulations!

• CLBlakey
    11 years ago

Patience pays off - Love it when you wait and save for something then get it way cheaper because you waited no high interest on impulse credit spending. Congrats!!

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Good things come to those who wait....and wait....! I remember that you have been wanting this sofa for quite some time.
    I am so happy for you!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Isn't that great when that happens..like winning the lottery!

• bestyears
    11 years ago

So it was Merry Christmas!

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Score!!! You must live right. ;o)

• Jess TKA
    11 years ago

What a great find!

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I'm so happy for you, it's such a thrill to have a surprise like that, enjoy!!!

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Score!!! You must live right. ;o)

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

congratulations....you have been waiting so long.

very very happy for you

:)

Bee

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Wow, I need to start checking out the thrift stores....preferably one that isn't playing Christmas music in Oct though. :>) Good for you!

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Whoo Hoo! Great find and Congratulations!

• lyfia
    11 years ago

Awesome! Now we need to see pics ;)

• loribee
    11 years ago

How exciting! Can't wait to see...!

• katlan
    11 years ago

I wish the thrift stores around me had things like that.

And I love to hear Christmas music, haha.

Very happy you got exactly what you wanted.

• mahatmacat1
    11 years ago

So great! Congratulations and Merry early Christmas : )

• ttodd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well it's home and all set up dressed in its new white slipcovers. It's a little stiff but I know that the cushions will yield before we know it w/ the kids and dog. Our leather chairs were stiff too and we didn't think that they would give but now they are super comfy.

White slipcovers? So far I've been able to wipe off little footprints w/ a damp paper towel - easey peasey. Will try to launder monthly as noted by previous poster comment. Glad I got the 2nd slip set!

My camera battery needs charging but I will get a pic posted this week.

On a side note: 2wknds ago we scored a BHG all weather patio dining set, loveseat, 2 chairs & coffee table for $20. Excellent condition but will replace the cushions w/ new ones soon. A case of driving by at just the right time!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Sigh.
    The trouble with living in a place where frugality is the norm is that by the time anybody gives anything to the charity shops, you can see clearly why they wanted it out of the house....

• always1stepbehind
    11 years ago

Cant wait to see it...What are the chances of me walking into a thrift store and finding my dream sectional from Thomasville...leather sectional priced like $7000. ;-) A girl can always dream huh??

• ttodd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well - it's my medium dream sectional LOL! The one that I felt would be best suited for style that I wanted but having 3 under 8yrs, pets and stuff. I didn't want to be a paranoid nut w/ an uber expensive sofa. This one is my inbetween sofa until they're older and then I will get that white down filled sectional that I will fully invest $$$ in.

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

That is soooo cool. I'm happy for you.

Thrift store has been good to me but nothing like your score. I had really good carpet installed when we moved in 17 years ago--so you can guess that is is hunter green. I had it replaced with travertine in all areas except the guest area. I left the hunter green because it was like new because of very little traffic over the years. Try to fine any fabric, bedding, window treatments, accessories that are hunter green---it has been purged from the planet! Then I thought---where would hunter green be? Thrift stores. Scored with some items that don't look too dated.

• sis2two
    11 years ago

I am so excited for you! And you know why it happened? Because things like that happen to really nice people.

• trailrunner
    11 years ago

I am moving closer to you and going to set up a stalking camera !! You have the most amazing luck. I can hardly wait to see the pics. Great score !! c

• tinker_2006
    11 years ago

Wow.. lucky you!!!

• ttodd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mustangs - that was brilliant of you! That's my kind of thinking - smarty, smarty!

That's so nice Sis - Thanks!

TR - anytime! Patience, unwavering vision and 'not actively looking' has paid off well the past 1 1/2yrs - that's for sure. When I was trolling CL for one the stars were never really quite aligned properly. Either I didn't have enough money to snap one up or when I did have the money it was gone in a heartbeat. Of course that was on the rare occassion that one did pop up on CL that was in even remotely good condition.

• celticmoon
    11 years ago

Oooooo - check this out.

You could be double lucky
    - if the seller still has them
    - if they work for you

Here is a link that might be useful: Ektorp slipcovers on CL

• nhb22
    11 years ago

What ever happened to the photo that was suppose to be posted?

Our Trift Store never has anything good. If it did, it certainly would not have a reasonable price. Maybe I am not visiting at the right time. Not that I need anything, but...is anytime better than another?