Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottmel_gw

Are Bath Mats / Bath Rugs 'out'? PB? RH

scottmel
16 years ago

Just remodeled my bathroom and while I don't have a lot of floor space visible, I thought a bath rug (small) would look pretty and be comfortable. Are they out of fad? I chedked pottery barn and RH and both are sold there. Anyone use either or use ANY bath rugs anymore? You know - the kind you put in front of a vanity.....Just looking for a comfy in style up scale one..THANKS!

Comments (52)

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Unless you are wanting them for decorative purposes, buy the ones at Linen Source, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Linen 'n Things, etc., bath mats from hotel chains. They are usually thick, white and you can throw them in the laundry daily, which is what I do. Once I shower, drip off and dry off, I use the mat to wipe the shower down of moisture, throw it in the laundry cabinet and wash it with the load of the day. I usually have at least one load per day of whites.

• premier
    16 years ago

Yes they are out of style. I never seen them in the homes I see. Although they are still being sold, you don't even see them in decorating mags and they still frequently show out of style things.

• sanborn5
    16 years ago

They may be out of style but I like to step out onto a bath rug when I get out of the shower. Some of the new bathroom floors are very slippery when wet!!!!

• cliff_and_joann
    16 years ago

I didn't know they were out of style, however I use a pretty wool area rugs in my bathrooms.. They're about 3 x 4 foot
    and have floral designs in colors to match the bathrooms.
    We use small towels to step on for bath mats after we shower and then they go into the hamper.
    I vacuum these rugs every time I vacuum. They always look clean, but then that's wool for you, in my experience they don't show dirt or seem to get dirty. I also have a wool area rug in my kitchen, and I'm a messy cook and have dogs,
    again I just vacuum it. Never shows any stains either.

Joann

• User
    16 years ago

I think most people use them and have them. ( I certainly do). If they are not in parade of homes and such it is similar to how there are rarely garbage cans and or tv's , mail, newspapers, etc. in them either. Everyone has them and uses them; they just might not be "show -pieces".

• teacats
    16 years ago

Bathroom rugs can be great -- and I certainly use them in my guest bath when my mum visits because of the rubber backing.

IF you don't want them to show -- then simply fold them over the lip of the tub.

I have seen wonderful rugs of all kinds used in all sorts of rooms -- even orientals!

And in some bathrooms -- I do wish there were more "sound-absorbing" items (like artworks, towels or even rugs!!!) I went to a party last night -- and the powder room sounds were VERY loud! LOL! :)

• patricianat
    16 years ago

The reason you see sparsely decorated model homes is because they are trying to fool the eye, making the house look bigger than it really is. If we buy model homes for that use, then I am out of the game, because we actually cook in our house, pull the covers back and sleep, take baths, and pee so I am sure that would omit the model home from ours. Now, be gone with your "model homes don't do it" BS, because model homes are not being lived in.

• IdaClaire
    16 years ago

**gasp!**

You pee in your home?
    Why, I nevah!

;-D

• rococogurl
    16 years ago

Saying bathroom rugs are out is like saying towels are out.

They're always removed for photography because they'll draw away from the floor in a photo.

I don't see why this should be a cause of concern for anyone -- ever. If it's because one of the shelter magazine is considering your home for photography then speak to your decorator about the "problem". The two of you can decide. LOL

• sable_ca
    16 years ago

Probably the main reason that bath mats and rugs aren't shown in magazines and show homes is that they hide part of the new floor, which is meant to be shown. In our home, our bathrooms are designed totally for our comfort and taste, and to heck with what's "in" or "out". Most people do that!

Scottmel - I recently ordered some bathroom throw rugs from RH (waited for a sale). Two were the cotton woven rugs, which were so flimsy that I returned them. The other two were the plush pile rugs, which are excellent for softness and absorption, but do shed for awhile.

And I also - eek gasp - have a toilet seat cover on the loo in "my" room, the MBR bathroom. There's no room for a chair, and I need a seat for various reasons and I have a bony bum. Pumicing, creaming, tweezing is soooo much easier with a soft seat. Or is that TMI?

• annzgw
    16 years ago

I have a large wool oriental between the tub and double-sink vanity. In front of the shower and toilet (slippery cold tile) I keep latex backed rugs that can be thrown in the washer. The other bathrooms also have decorative rugs in front of the vanity and a washable rug hangs on the edge of the tub.

They're not 'out of style'.

• reno_fan
    16 years ago

Yes, bathmats are out of style, as evidenced by their conspicuous absence from magazines.

So are toothbrushes and soap.

Heck, my dogs are looking tons thinner now that I realized that dog food bowls are out of style, and had them removed from my kitchen.

• scottmel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL - good to know I am not out of style! I always did have a braided rug in the bathroom but my NEW bathroom I am trying to use a lot of WHITE and wanted a white fluffy rug but like many pointed out you may not SEE them but many do use them! Good enough for me! I am leaning now towards the RH "fluffy" ones that one poster did like. Any other rug out there that anyone loves? Think spa like - white or beige fluffy........Thanks guys! P. S Can't wait to post pics, BUDGE. I will soon as my mat is in!!! Scottmel (aka Melissa)

• jakkom
    16 years ago

Definitely if we were prepping the house for sale, we would remove the bathroom rugs. However, since it's the coldest room in the house, while we're living here it's rugs in front of the vanity and shower, definitely!

Here's the vanity rug, an Oriental runner:

And here's the shower rug, also an Oriental:

• kim2007
    16 years ago

There is no way I could shower without having something soft and warm on the floor to step out on to, and it's dang cold in the mornings here even in the height of summer! I think bath mats and rugs are really one of those 'discretionary' items; if you like them and need them then use them, if not, don't. We're hoping to install small Saltillo tiling on our bathroom floor, and I'll definitely have some kind of SW rug. BRRR!!!!
    I like that category; 'Discretionary Items.' We can dump a lot in there, can't we! ; )

• Kathryn Dunbar
    16 years ago

I don't think bathroom rugs are 'out', I've been in model homes lately that have them, and they're decorated. But I do think the rugs on the toilet seat cover, around the toilet seat bottom, matching the same rug in front of the shower and in front of the sink is a bit outdated. Of course, we have the one in front of the toilet and the one in front of the sink/shower. : )

• Marcia Thornley
    16 years ago

People may put them away when selling a home or taking pics for a forum like this one, but when I step out of tub or shower I want something warm and soft to step out onto. Ceramic tile is slippery and cold. Somewhere you have to draw a line between function and looks. You have to actually live in your home. I'm not going to stress over how something looks above how it works for me to actually live with.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I don't think rugs are out but I am tired of the standard bath rugs. I love to see something different. I'd love to get one of those fluffy white, fake sheepskin rugs but I have one cat who would enjoy it a bit much, I think :) Oriental, braided, knotted, needlepoints would be unique. Maybe one of those shaggy styles, too.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Kim -- treat yourself to warm floors -- heated tile! So wish I had splurged on that luxury. It's not all that expensive or difficult to do, I don't think.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Again, I just gotta ask - who decides if something is "out of style?" Who's out there, declaring themselves "God of Style" and throwing down these pronouncements, anyway? (Uh ... maybe I'd better not go there ...)

That would be Premier of course. Haven't you been reading along all week. He/She has decided which lighting fixtures are offensive, silk plants look cheap and tacky and swagging chandliers is cheesy. I've been sitting on my hands all week but I've about had it with this poster! Trying to remember to ignore......but it's been difficult!

I'd love to see his/her decor to rip apart.

• smile
    16 years ago

We use a bath towel mat that gets washed frequently. I would recommend white so you can bleach them occasionally. They are sold everywhere, but the higher quality ones will stay flat. I have two (that I rotate) -- one from PB and one from Homegoods, and the one from Homegoods gets wrinkly at the seems. Besides being safety device -- bath mats and rugs prevent you from tracking water to other parts of the house. I like having a bath rug in front of the sink (again, to soak up any spilled water droplets), but I can't find one that is long enough for our double sink. We can't use the rubber/latex backed rugs b/c it would discolor our vinyl floors, and the all-cotton ones are hard to find.

For someone that asked about unique rugs, here's a link to one from crate and barrel....

Here is a link that might be useful: cb rug

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

(squirrel squeaking in the background .... chichichi .... yay Lindy! yay Lindy! .. chichichichi size>)

Where's help when we need it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Background music

• reno_fan
    16 years ago

Ditto Lindy.

I stopped reading over on Kitchens because of this poster as well. I got so sick of seeing posts where s/he all but called posters idiots, sometimes even about details of their *own* homes. Ridiculous.

DH and I used to teach personality training. Once we'd go over the primary types and functions of the personalities, there was *always* some person from the same personality type who would push themselves back from the table, cross their arms, and declare, "Well, see? I was BORN like this. Take it or leave it." They'd completely fail to see the benefit of honing personality traits, and working on negatives. They'd chalk it all up to "That's just how I am".

Premier reminds me of these types of people. They don't care one fig about the "tone" a forum like this has. If they offend, then it's our fault for taking it too seriously. If you disagree, they'll chalk it up that your opinion is inferior anyway, and therefore meaningless. They see nothing wrong with their style, no matter how many times or how many people tell them it's harsh or offensive. It's always someone else's issue-never theirs. This attitude keeps them from ever even *trying* to work on negatives. They don't care what others think, so there's absolutely no "need" for them to try to fix a problem that they perceive is yours to begin with.

It's a shame, too. Because this personality type has a lot to offer. If they can ever lower themselves to care what the rest of the people are thinking, they can be a great asset. I doubt that'll ever happen here, though.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

If they can ever lower themselves to care what the rest of the people are thinking

Not picking at your words, Reno, but just want to point out -- how about what others are feeling. Taking pleasure in or being oblivious to how one's words or actions might hurt others' feelings is, is, well, whatever! Treating others with disregard.

I'm afraid I don't see how always being negative and/or demeaning is bringing anything to the table.

• reno_fan
    16 years ago

You're right squirrel. This particular personality type (not saying Premier is, but sure seems to be) really doesn't feel empathy naturally. They honestly don't care what others are feeling or thinking. They see things ONE way, theirs. If they can see that it's beneficial to at least TRY to see things from another's perspective, and come across less brash, rude, condescending, etc, they can be great.

But again, they have to want to hone their personality and their communication skills. Since they don't see it as a negative, they often never do. And the more people who complain about it, well, they just see that as weakness in others. Frustrating, no?

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    16 years ago

I don't know if bath mats are in or out of style, but I prefer them :-) I've been thinking about this for our little shower but I'm worried about splinters!

Here is a link that might be useful: wooden bath mat

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I love those wooden mats! Don't know how well they work though??? Do they actually absorb water or something? I've seen pics of them actually in the shower, too.

Anyone have one?

• here_kittykitty
    16 years ago

I have the RH fluffy white bath mat for stepping out of the shower. It's the one that is reversible--not latex backed. I waited for the sale last summer as someone on this forum suggested. It's great and practical.

• prairiefox
    16 years ago

Anyone who thinks that bath mats are out of style has never stepped out of the tub or shower when it is below zero outside, and stepped on cold floor. Yes, our house is heated but when it is very cold outside, our upstairs bathroom can be chilly.

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

Melle, I've seen those in the stores and they look slippery like they would skitter and slide on tile floors. Also notice how they say " Each mat will age beautifully with naturally occurring knots, splits and cracks " , which sounds like code for "Its gonna fall apart and look like crap in a week".

I have seen some nice Teak mats for bathroom floors that are stiff and look like little pallets. No splinters from Teak. The style is more Zen and may not translate to all decor types.

I did try a bathmat from C&B that is polyproylyne and looks like rope. If you don't need a bathmat that is soft and furry on the feet this one is great. It never becomes *soaked*. These are made for patios and carried year round at C&B. Every summer they offer bright new color choices. I got rid of it for the same reason that I do not use any bath rugs in my tiny, tiny bathroom - Guests had to struggle kicking it around to get the door closed. I now use only those hotel terry bath mats that can be draped over the tub.

Here is a link that might be useful: C&B Poly Rope Bathmat

• windypoint
    16 years ago

If you want one, get one. They've always been too much hassle for me, but then again, the weather here tends to warmth. They might be mildly unfashionable, but nothing that functional is ever completely out of style.

• love-my-lilhome
    16 years ago

If you saw my bath pics then you know what my thoughts
    are re: bath rugs, commode covers, and commode contour rugs. squirrel , roflmao, I always thought Johnny Rivers was saying Secret Asian Man. I'm wondering how I got through these 30 something years of his song and no one ever corrected me. My face is red !!!! I have sung that song with him on the radio with people in the car with me.
    "Secret Asian Man ".
    When they were beating the dash laughing I thought they were just having a good time !

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

When they were beating the dash laughing I thought they were just having a good time !

rofl, lol, lilHome!

I had a friend who swore Carly Simon was singing 'there were grounds in my coffee, grounds in my coffee! ohhhh, you're so vain'

• mcbird
    16 years ago

When we first moved into our new house I hadn't planned on using the bath mats from our old house. One day when unpacking I came across them and tossed them in a corner of the master bath floor. My dog literally was doing the happy dance! She slept on them in our old house and was so happy to see them again. She promptly rooted around on them and took her 25th nap of the day right there. Needless to say they are still around.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Everyone is saying you need a matt to protect you from the cold. I use the matt because I couldn't stand my bare feet touching the floor be it warm or cold. I hate walking bare foot although it's most probably just my personal peeve. Yes squirrel, not only did my mom insist on clean shoes, but shoes in general. If she caught you without shoes, ouch!! So my feet are offended when they don't have some type of shoe or matt under them. HA!

I love rugs in general, those tacky throw rugs that are washable!! There I said it. Unfortunately my cat Jackie likes them for a wee wee pad so we have to keep them picked up.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Well, no one remembers Judy in the skies?

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I do, I do, lol. I thought it was 'in the sky' though :)

• bluestarrgallery
    16 years ago

with diamonds

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Wait a minute, it was Judy in Disguise and Lucy in the Skies with Diamonds, right? Hated both songs.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Hmmm, now I'm confused. I'm putting them both to the same tune here. YouTube!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

You guys are cracking me up this morning. I gotta run and get my kids off to school but thanks for the laugh. How about "Blinded by the Light"

Wrecked up like Duece and a motor in the night? ROFL

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

ROFLLL

• kareen
    16 years ago

Shackle me and take me away to the prison for unpopular decorating....I have heated floors and mats and won't change because some guru decides whats in....thankfully God gave me a working brain and my parents taught me to pay attention to it. I have really been chuckling at these posts though I think it so very sad that someone is so dictated by "they" and that this is whats so important in a world where so many truly awful things are happening. There are people on here I really respect and consider what they say about decorating ...those folks are also the ones who consider how their post will affect others .

• meg711
    16 years ago

Lindy--I thought I was the only one noticing that snarky tone in some of the posts. Glad you said something.

As for the lyrics, I guess I need to look up the real ones because they seem okay to me!

I'm still working on the rug issue. I plan to get them but, for the kids' bathrooms, I need something flat or very low pile so it will fit under the door that swings in. Washable bath mat towels seem like a great idea. Seems like there was a difference of opinion above about the quality of RH mats.

• hellpaso
    16 years ago

i have the fluffy rh mats, and they are super absorbent--they wick away the water like crazy.

• IdaClaire
    16 years ago

I always thought "Blinded by the Light" referred to a certain feminine hygiene product.

:-/

• ladyamity
    16 years ago

For those who enjoy little tidbits:

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds referred to LSD; initials of the song.

Then there's Janis Joplin;

'Take another little piece of my hard-on baaabeeee'

Singing it bold and out loud for years until some kind soul took pity on me and corrected my fax poo.

Rugs in bathroom---I have a couple indoor/outdoor scatter rugs in each bathroom.
    Glue a little non-skid piece on the back, hose it off outside with a drop of laundry detergent or put it in the shower with me and wash it with a little hair shampoo when it needs cleaning-- lasts for years.

• tinam61
    16 years ago

Okay, I've never liked anything that *looks like* bathroom or kitchen rugs. That doesn't mean I don't like a rug in the bathroom though - I just want something pretty and decorative. I also don't like the fact that many bathroom rugs, people step out of the shower/tub wet on the rugs and then they sit there damp. I use a long oriental type rug in front of the double vanity. Nothing un front of the tub or shower. What we do is use the bath mats (like a thick towel) and lay those over the side of the tub when finished. They dry out quickly and are laundered often.

That said, I'm certainly not saying what is in or out of style or what someone should do, just the personal preference around our house LOL.

tina

• wooderlander
    16 years ago

Electrical cords and dog hair are out of style too. I never see them in the house mags, though there are photos featuring table lamps and a large yellow Lab reclining on the tufted silk sofa.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm