Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vonizzy

Need new look for living room!

vonizzy
9 years ago

Hi all,

I'm new to gardenweb but am looking for some much needed advice on revamping out family room. We just got a new 3 pc living room set (love seat, sofa, and chair with recliners). So I am trying to figure out a way to set things up to maximize the space, but there are a few other components to consider. We also need a place for our computer in the family room. I've been thinking of a small corner desk or maybe a desk behind the sofa as options. We previously had a large L shaped desk which we are getting rid of along with the old furniture. Lastly we have a baby in the house now so we need to having crawling space and just a baby friendly home...mind you we have all tile floors.

I don't have any pictures of the old layout but to describe it the love seat was against the stairs. The couch was against the wall facing the tv. The L shaped desk was along the same wall as the couch and we had a single chair that sat in front of the sliding glass door.

Any advice and tips will be much appreciated...thanks!!! Sorry for the clutter in the pictures kinda in the middle of everything, the bed is just there so we have some where to sit until the new furniture arrives.

Comments (10)

• vonizzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another picture from a different angle

• vonizzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another picture

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

There doesn't appear to be enough room to put the sofa on the long wall and still have enough room to put the loveseat in front of the stairs. If the chair is put opposite the loveseat, you won't have room for the computer desk. Did you measure the room before you purchased all this furniture because I don't think it's going to fit.

• vonizzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi there, no we didn't measure just assumed it would fit because we previously had a sofa, love seat, and chair. Sorry it maybe hard to tell the size of the space bc it's kind of cluttered.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Oh dear...better get out your measuring tape! Just because it's a sofa doesn't mean it's the same dimensions and you want to make sure it's all going to fit.

I suggest going to homestyler.com which is free software where you can lay out your room and add the furniture of the same dimension and move it all around to get a good layout.

• wannabegardnr
    9 years ago

open the curtains, turn on some lights and take another picture standing in the corner by the stairs where the red chair is. Looks like there's another door on the wall with the tv.
    Do you need the tv to stay here as well? Will it be wall mounted or sit on another piece of furniture? Will you have side tables, coffee tables, floor lamps? What are the dimensions of this room and the dimensions of the sofa set?

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

I made the same mistake -- didn't measure the furniture we bought to make sure we had the space...it looked "right" in the showroom...GAH!

Do you already have the new furniture? If not, my advice is to cancel or postpone delivery, and take measurements. Mark the space out w/tape or something. I think your room seems narrow and a single sofa is the limit.

Store the Pack n Play under the stairs. Put the couch opposite the tv. I think a smaller desk for the corner would be appropriate, and then maybe two smaller "pouf" type of move-able cushions/seats that could either act as extra seating or, with a tray on top, a small coffee table. Nice to put the tray away when baby is around.

My kids are 5 and 9 now, but the one thing I wish I had done differently was to hold off on making decorating decisions. I did our LR when the oldest was about 9 months old. I didn't measure for furniture, I didn't have a plan. It didn't' all "come together in the end" and we're looking at a complete re-do now b/c it really doesn't work and I'm so tired of furniture that's too big.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Unless you plan to move all the various baby equipment to another room, this is about all you have room for in this room.

• vonizzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay so I took some measurements the room. The back wall is 15 1/2ft and it's 14 1/2ft wide. On the side with the stairs they come out 9ft and then there is a hallway entrance which is the only entrance to the room. The tv does not need to stay on the current wall and mounting it is an option that I would consider. There will be no coffee table so that we can have room for baby to crawl and play. We would like maybe one side table but the new furniture has cup holders so the table aren't a must. Also I would prefer floor lamps. Also the pack n play won't be out all the time it just comes out as needed. Also the post with the layout picture that how it was set up before and I was hoping to figure something out without having the couch on that back wall

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Here is your room on graph paper with the dimensions you listed. One square equals one foot. I used typical dimensions for a sofa and loveseat. This is the amount of room they will take up unless your sofa is longer than 90" or deeper than 36". Good luck.

There really is no other way to layout the furniture and not block a walkway. I would have considered a small sectional with a built in recliner in it. Then you'd have the best possible combination.

This post was edited by beverly27 on Fri, Oct 10, 14 at 19:46