nhb22
9 years ago

Saw this last night.

Very pretty and classic interiors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ron Howard Estate

Comments (36)

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

Beautiful property. I don't like formal but this house has a nice mix of formal/casual living.

The kitchen looks exactly like my sisters! Same granite (even the edge is the same), cherry cabinets and appliances.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

appropriate to the style and location, but . . . I just don't like any of that stuff

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I loved it all! I could move right in.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Beautifully executed and what a setting! It isn't my personal style either, but I can understand how a "normal" person (which Ron Howard always seemed to be) who had an extraordinary career in a glitzy ("not normal" haha) industry would want to retreat to home that feels traditional and wholesome and serene. Just lovely. I love homes that, irrespective of cost, when you see them you feel as though you have a sense of who the homeowner is as a person. Thanks for posting.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Except for the dining room I could live here. It really isn't my style but it looks very comfortable - a family home.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

It's very lovely but the decor is a bit unexciting. It feels very "Ritz Carlton" to me; ie classic and designed to please a broad audience in a certain demographic.

It kind of reminds me of a recent article on John Irving's house. Very nice house, decor fairly ordinary. I suppose if the owners are not "into" decor, yet well situated, it only follows that the interiors are beyond reproach, but not terribly interesting or compelling or au courant.

• bpath
    9 years ago

I could totally live with those furnishings. His living room sofas are exactly what I want, and how about the upholstered railing around the fireplace? The family room with leather? I'm not getting out of that chair.

Having seen a couple houses here now with muraled dining rooms, I've decided I can't live without one, too.

The whole house looks so, well, settled and established, like it's been there for years and will be there for the grandkids to come visit.

• Lars
    9 years ago

My favorite room is the indoor pool - it reminds me a bit of the indoor pool at San Simeon because of the windows. Very practical for a redhead to have an indoor pool, so that he does not get overexposed to the sun. Of course I like the outdoor pool at San Simeon better, but both are gorgeous.

I don't especially like the library because it is so dark - it reminds me of Shane Black's library, which is very Gothic looking, or at least it was the last time I was there. I think the classically styled rooms are nice, and a bit understated. I prefer modern, but I can appreciate classical.

Lars

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

Beautiful. I could move right in too. I'm going back to look at it again!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Okay, 33 acres, an observatory, an indoor pool, 17,000 square feet, and a guest house, in Greenwich. Yeah, I like it.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Wow. Happy days indeed.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Its not my style either, but I think it's lovely for other people :-) That indoor pool is not to be believed, and the views are so serene.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

The dining room mural actually bugs me because there is a waterfall on one wall and and a harbor scene on the other...that's a strange transition. It should feel like one continuous scene or environment.

• selcier
    9 years ago

God I love the dining room.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

That's funny, cool. I was bothered by the dining room mural, too.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

....more like the size of Mayberry! Only 27 million.... maybe if we all chip in.

This has been on the market for a while. It's one of their vacation homes. I guess they are down sizing.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

A scenic mural in a formal dining room is very classic look - I just don't think that one was well designed.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

I like the portion of the mural with the harbor. The waterfall section is odd. It's a little hard to see on my monitor, but the two sections don't even look like they were painted by the same artist.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

That isn't a handpainted mural, it's block printed wallpaper. The wallpaper is Zuber's "Scenes of North America", first designed and printed in France in the 19th century.

It also hangs in the White House.

It's not so much meant to portray a literal landscape. Rather, it is meant to give the "grand tour" of the highlights of a particular region or event.

The Natural Bridge in Virginia is part of the same mural as Niagara Falls, which is centered here over the fireplace.

There is one paper that encompasses everything from the North Pole to the South Pole on a continuous scene.

Part of the issue here is that it wraps around the fireplace and is cut off by the mantle and doorways, so parts of it seem visually squeezed together. I think these look best in ballrooms or dining rooms with a lot of wall space and few obstructions, although they were often hung just as they are here.

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Loved it.
    The art in the living room looks like the style of Thomas Hart Benton who is a famous Kansas City artist.

To have a home that large with human- scaled rooms is not that typical, and I think that it is nicely done in this home.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Here's some of the same bit in the White House. The harbor scene is supposed to be Boston Harbor

• aputernut
    9 years ago

Only room I liked was the indoor pool room.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Regardless, you know it is energy efficient and environmentally sound, just like Ron.

• deegw
    9 years ago

A little formal for me but I'll take it!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/07/25/ron-howard-westchester-home-sale/13174217/

Part of the estate is in Greenwich and part is in Westchester. Per the article, the house sold for cash to an undisclosed buyer in July. Based on a quick look at IMBD, I think it was their family home as their kids went to school in Greenwich and Armonk.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I thought it looked like Zuber paper but the caption said hand painted mural. I still don't like the way it flows- or doesn't. Many artists paint murals in that classical style and I would have preferred a more custom design for a private home.

• three3apples
    9 years ago

Love it all, especially the Thomas Hart Benton painting.

The wallpaper is classic and fantastic.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I suppose it's possible that someone painted it based on the Zuber paper, in which case, you're right, it's a bit scrunched together and they could've stretched things out around the fireplace and doorways. Actually some companies who do have similar murals painted in China to mimic the Zuber and de Gournay papers *will* customize and "fill in" around windows and doorways so you don't lose important parts of the scene, but with a blocked print, you can't.

I think the person doing the captions just got it wrong though. I realtor once told me I was looking at a house that was "Almost 300 years old". So they may have been told "Hand blocked" and heard hand-painted.

Just like the interview published in a paper where an author's favorite play was "Lame Is Rob" (Les Miserables).

This post was edited by palimpsest on Fri, Oct 3, 14 at 17:10

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

It's a beautiful home and overall I like it but for some reason I don't picture him with a house like this. No idea what I do think of as his 'style' though!

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Yes, I know a lot of the classical/ historical papers are being painted in China...I can only imagine what those artists are being paid, ugh. I'd love to see how the block print process was done on the Zuber landscape papers.

dim, I also picture Ron Howard in something less formal for some reason.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Part in CT and part in NY? So for tax purposes where are you a resident? BIG difference in tax rates, though not quite as big as it used to be.

And, if you own real estate in NY, and work in NY, you can be deemed a resident of NY for tax purposes if you physically spend more than 184 days (or partial days; except for days in transit) in NY. Even though you vote, have your DL and send your kids to school in a different state.

So every time you go to one part of your yard you could be accruing up to your184, LOL!

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Fri, Oct 3, 14 at 22:43

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Maybe its the baseball cap he always wears :-)

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

Yes I would like 33 acres, an observatory, an indoor pool, 17,000 square feet, and a guest house, in Greenwich, but not that house. It has no personality. The outside is a mush mosh of styles and roof lines and it is void of charm. I do love the pool.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

it's a tad boring and predictable imho, wouldn't take much to make it a little more fresh looking: the indoor pool is to die for and the grounds of course.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I near swooned over the library...just my kind of space. The decor is comfortable, some of it is odd...that fabric in the bkfst nook...bleccch. The pool room was incredible with that gorgeous ceiling, and of course the views of the lake were wonderful. That one room though....at first I thought it was a large screen TV with a picture of the lake on it, but then again I guess it was a window, but it didn't look like a window. Weird.

If I owned it, I'd probably redecorate about half of it...the rest would be just fine. But I wouldn't really care so much about the interior as I'd be spending all my time riding horses or sitting on one of the beautiful porches or balconies around the place....at least during the day. At night, I'd be star gazing....

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

It looks more like Aunt Bea's house.

• wantoretire_did
    9 years ago

I was really brought up short when I recently read that "Opie" and his wife are now empty-nesters! Time fliesâ¦..

Love the property, inside and out.