Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

x-post Folding railroad sink? Anyone?

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

In our new MBA, we will have two matching sinks in the main part of the bathroom. The watercloset, for lack of a better term, will also have a small sink (partly because the plumbing for it is already there, so why not.)

Anyway, the space is a tad narrow and the home is vintage, so I was looking at old folding railroad sinks. (photo below) I would not need to fold it away, but you have to, because that is how it drains.

Has anyone ever installed such a thing? I am wondering what a plumber would say, and what the visible plumbing will look like.

Comments (19)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love it. Mtn, you absolutely come up with the neatest ideas. My DH would flip for a sink like that. I think the exposed plumbing would add even more character. Could you have the plumbing patinaed to make it look aged?

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

Wow, how cool. This is why I love GW b/c you learn something new every day. That sink is so wonderful.

No clue about the plumbing except that loud ka-ching sound that in my brain when I looked at the photo.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Since your house belonged to a ship's captain, I would go with something more like this if you could find it-3rd class quarters on the Titanic. The RR sink seems out of place to me, although it is fun. Of course, a small marble sink would be a 1st class choice, but probably too large for your space.

In reality, I would probably not have one there, plumbing available or not, because then you need either a shelf for soap or a wall-mounted dispenser. Otherwise, it is merely a decoration.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Holly Kay! Yes, I am a sucker for this kind of stuff. I like exposed plumbing, but my thought here is that, for the sink to be able to fold, the plumbing must be flexible. In the old days that might have been rubber, but now I am worried it will be some sort of ugly plastic. The dealer has not been too helpful.

MarinaGal, Yeah. As soon as you want to do something a little unusual you will pay!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

cyn, it has an integrated soap dish

And, while ive found several RR sinks, Ive not found one like you show.

Lastly, If we closed off one door and opened another, this could be a second hall bath if needed for some reason. I think it's silly to remove the existing sink plumbing!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Mtn, I assume you would keep the sink unfolded except when you need to drain it? If so wouldn't the flexible tubing retract into the existing pipes? I am definitely having trouble thinking through the mechanics of it but my goodness I hope you can make it work.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

I don't know anything about the plumbing issues it may create but I sure do love the sink.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

I'm thinking the plumbing on trains would have been minimal because the waste water was simply dumped on the tracks, so there was probably a straight pipe down through the wall and through the floor. A creative plumber might enjoy the challenge.

The trick will be to make the plumbing drainPTrap look attractive. This part might help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Decorative P Trap Cover

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cyn,
    I don't think many people would know it's a RR sink, just that it is old and funky. So I don't think it's out of place. We could put in a marble sink Id imagine --- the narrow dimension I am referrring to is 4'2". With a minimum reqmt of 21" in front of the sink, you could put in something as deep as 29" and pretty much as wide as you'd like.

All that said, this it not even a secondary sink, but a tertiary one, and we'd like more space then the minimum.

Holly, OOh, maybe that is how its done? Interesting point.

Thanks, Eandhl.

Thanks, Beverly, I had not seen one of those before. I will have several wall hung vintage sinks so that is a good thing to know about!

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 12:00

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Neat idea.

I have no idea how they work as I've never seen one, but let me guess that the sink rocks but the drain is stationary underneath so when it's open, the bowl of the sink covers the drain hole. When you tilt it up, the water runs out of the bowl and down the drain in the bottom. I don't think the drain moves at all.

IAC, if they managed to plumb it for a moving train 100 years ago, a clever plumber should be able to figure it out now too....

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie, that makes sense, too.

I am just a little wary because I bought vintage sinks for several bathrooms here in CT and there were two instances where plumbing was difficult, exacerbated by the fact that many parts today are plastic and not meant to be seen.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Completely forgot you were planning to use it as a hall bath accessible to all. In that case and with the integrated soap dish, go for it. Could be lots of fun and definitely a conversation piece!

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

There is no exposed plumbing: the sink basin has no drain, and when you tip it the water (and anything else in the sink) dumps into a drain in the wall.

Look up "Pullman Sink"

• bpath
    10 years ago

You are thinking of maybe other people using your house sometimes, right? You would have to make a little sign explaining how to drain it. I had to tell people that yes, the bathroom has a door, it's a pocket door, and no, you don't have to turn out the light, it's a solatube. Never overestimate people's ability to figure things out :)

But, it is fantastic and you should totally do it!

• jmc01
    10 years ago

That type of sink is called a Pullman sink and it was used on both trains and yachts. Adams and Westlake manufactured many for Pullman. The company still exists in Elkhart, IN.. Check the link below. I'd bet they have an archivist who knows about folding sinks....

Down this thread is a bit of discussion about the plumbing...
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?93600-Folding-Sink

If you google "folding sink on pullman cars", or "adams and westlake folding sinks", you'll get lots of hits.

Here is a link that might be useful: adams and westlake

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Lazy.

Good point, BP! Although I have acceded to DH's wishes and we won't rent it, we do envision loaning it to friends and family.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I love things like this. We wandered into an antique marine store and found a wine bottle holder that attached to the table. Perfect size for a roll of TP. Was hoping the kids would figure this out and change TP, but I still end up with empty rolls.

If you decide to do this, have a brass sign engraved telling users what is needed.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, Technicolor.

That's a good idea.

BTW, on the baths side, I found two people that had experience with this! GW is amazing.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Makes sense that the company is in Elkhart, the van conversion and RV capital of the Midwest :)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES