Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Are there any fixed wall mounts better than others?

TxMarti
10 years ago

Or are they all about the same. I haven't looked in stores yet, but both Best Buy and Walmart have one for around $10. The one at Walmart is adjustable so I could install the mount on the studs even though that is not the center of the tv. I'd like to have this done by the end of the week as a surprise for dh so I don't really have time to order one if there isn't a local warehouse.

Comments (7)

• annzgw
    10 years ago

It all depends on how large your TV is and if the mount fits it. All mounts don't work on all TV's. I would think Best Buy could set you up with the correct mount for your TV.
    If you're able to use only one stud, I prefer to use a mount that allows me to use 2 screws (vertically). It just gives more stability than one screw in the stud and a molly holding the other side of the mount.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

I don't know if want it to tilt or not.
    The Flat/Tilt type are closer to the wall when installed so you
    don't have a big space from the side of the TV.
    Look for how far it mounts the TV from the wall.
    Look for UL listing.

I had BestBuy install mine because they connect your
    cable boxes,PlayStations,DVD player and my surround sound.
    Plus they get it all onto one universal remote.Also concealed all the wires under one of those cable cover thingies.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

$10? How big is this TV? The ones I've seen that hold larger TVs run more in the $59-$89 range (and to think, just 7 years ago, I bought one on ebay for a 15" tv that cost $200 retail! (not what I paid of course).

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I went to Fry's, Best Buy, and Walmart today. At Fry's and Best Buy, the sales people really didn't know much about the mounts. My tv is only 26". It's for the bedroom and we listen more than watch, but I want it mounted on the wall with a framed 2-way mirror over it.

What none of the salesman could tell me is how much room there is for cords if the tv is mounted so close to the wall. I did buy a right angle adaptor for the coax.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

Attaching cords and cable usually isn't a problem if it's a TV that can be mounted. Of all the TV's we've installed the connections are located so the wiring is easily accessible and the gap between the wall and TV has enough room for any wires.
    The only part of the TV that is actually against the wall is the bottom edge.

I think you'll find the depth of frame on the wall and the mounting frame on the TV is enough for cords/cables. When I checked the Walmart site, it shows the $10 mount has 1.5" space from the wall. That mount should work, but try to hit 2 studs.

Here is a link that might be useful: TV mount

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Since you are looking to frame it
    look for a "low-profile flat-panel wall mount" .

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll do that. I found a website yesterday that compared a lot of the wall mounts and they even mentioned the walmart one and some cheaper ones and said the difference in price isn't just about where it's sold. The walmart ones have low quality screws that have bent or sheared off and their frames have bent too.

The guy at Best Buy told me to bring in a photo of the profile of my tv and an exact measurement of where the mount goes on the wall and he will help me select the right one.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH