Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peegee_gw

To ledge or not to ledge....

peegee
9 years ago

Need to make a decision....Anyone have a vaulted area in a kitchen with a shelf/ledge at the back? The vaulted area is already in for the skylights - have to decide on having the back area just go all the way up straight flush with the opening, or have the back open to a ledge maybe a foot - or less - back before going up straight.....DD says "don't"; too much trouble having to clean it as I age, spiders could get up there (that WOULD freak me out)...it's more space for heat loss...all true, but I can't stop thinking that it could look so nice to place a couple of baskets and maybe a large painting set back.....AAACK - need other perspectives: decision needs to be made today!

Comments (18)

• aputernut
    9 years ago

Mine are open both sides, see pics. below, we even added up lighting as well as down, clean maybe twice a yr. they don't really get very dusty, but I like to clean my items up there as well. DH had a good time wallpapering the one side, other is open to great room.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I agree with your husband...it will just be a dust collector and a pain to get to and have to clean.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I would probably skip the ledge.

• homersmom
    9 years ago

I would skip it as well.

• peegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Three to one against right now - any more votes and/or experiences, good or bad? Aputernut, yours looks soooo nice, thanks for the visuals! The decision is delayed until tomorrow as there was a mini water disaster there today - so at least that buys me a bit more time....

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Do you just want to not have a big blank up there, or do you want specifically a ledge?

I thought this was a clever way to make something of a big blank vault (sorry, poor photo quality):

• caminnc
    9 years ago

I vote no ledge.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

No ledge. The kitchen cabinets at our vacation place do not have a soffit above them and I have to vacuum the top of the cabinets at least once a year. It does get dusty up there.

• User
    9 years ago

No ledge, it was a prominent feature in Florida style ranch houses for several decades, mostly used for fake plants, very uncommon now in newer homes for all the right reasons.

• peegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WOW! I had NO idea the sentiment would be overwhelmingly opposed - I had thought it would be just the opposite. I am shocked!

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

I like the versatility of a ledge - more dimensional opportunities than a plain wall - adds a cozy scale to a high wall. Two go around a corner where the DR is partially open to the front hall here, above beams which support the open spans. Ledges on both the DR & entry sides but only visible from one side or the other, as the wall above ends at the center of the beams & deep molding finishes all sides. The entry hall walls go up another 15', giving a feeling of volume very similar to a vault. Neighbor friend has a 2-story family room where display boxes were set between the studs at what would have been slightly over single story ceiling height & drywalled. Both treatments give a more interesting silhouette to what is otherwise a straight tall wall expanse.

She displays sculptures in hers, which are strikingly dramatic at night with shadows from the lamp lighting below. My ledges hold colorful gameboards & painted wooden carvings. One of those tallish wand dusters on a swivel head makes dusting simple & twice a year I use a ladder to remove & clean thoroughly. Same with stoneware atop the kitchen cupboards. Paintings & 3-D artwork hung on the entry walls go nearly to the ceiling & get the high telescoping duster treatment in routine cleaning.

I don't think of these as dated, but as classic. Open beam structure from before colonial times were used to store & hang items, Craftsman homes often have wide & high shelving rimming a room for the same purpose, and cupboard tops traditionally store & display items. If you like the look & the possibilites, go for it. You can always leave them bare as dimensional highlights to the wall.

• joyce_6333
    9 years ago

We have a ledge in our entry way, and I really dislike it. I'm rather challenged when it comes to accessorizing or displaying things, so it never looks very good. More of a clutter area than anything. It's really high up, so you're always looking at stuff from an odd angle, too. Art work looks the best up there, but then I have to set the picture on an easle and bring forward, or you don't see the bottom 1/3 of the picture.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

No ledge vote here too.

• louislinus
    9 years ago

Also not a fan of the ledge. Design should always be form follows function and the ledge to me has no function.

This post was edited by louislinus on Sun, Oct 5, 14 at 21:48

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Me too; no ledge. Ledges are dust shelves usually. You'll be happy to have less to clean!

• melsouth
    9 years ago

One more vote for no ledge.
    In-laws have this in their house.
    Fake plants were the only things they could think of to put there.
    Inconveniently dusty, so the housekeeper finally convinced them to ditch the plants.
    Now there's nothing up there except dust, and even the housekeeper is getting too old for ladders.

• barbie08075
    9 years ago

No Ledge, for all the reasons stated above.

• peegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. i was still holding out for what I thought was an attractive opportunity to possibly display a few baskets, or even to enjoy empty for the aesthetic value of the interesting planes lit with accent light...your absolutely unexpected responses gave me much pause to explore unconsidered negatives which I really wouldn't have otherwise: I realize I plan a ceiling fan nearby and do not want accumulating ledge dust blown about in the kitchen, especially when I'm cooking. Had this been for a living room, I think I would have gone ahead. So a bit sadly, but really relieved, I've called it off. Thank you all so much!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES