Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slflaherty

What paint colour would you choose with this bedding?

slflaherty
11 years ago

It is for my 10 year old daughter's bedroom. I'm not sure how well you can see the colours in the picture, but besides the obvious blue and red (the comforter is reversible, but I think she prefers the blue side up), there are some lime greens and soft pinks/corals. I think painting the walls a soft pink would be nice, but she's 10 and I think she would associate it with "a baby's room". In the same breath, her baby sister's room is painted BM Neon Celery, and I think she wants something different, so green would be a hard sell too.

What paint colour would you choose to go with this bedding? Even if you think pink or green would be best, please let me know. I could probably convince my daughter on one of those if it was the colour that would really look best.

Comments (33)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I'd go with the beautiful background color.
    Looks close to BM at sea

• ellendi
    11 years ago

As usual Annie, you have great taste. Another vote for the blue.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

I agree with Annie... a beautiful blue!

• slflaherty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You guys don't think it would be too much blue? I guess in my mind I'm picturing something kind of like this:

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

Vote for blue here, but possibly a grayed light blue so it's not too bright. I don't think it will be too much blue if you keep the rest of stuff in the red/pink/green/white family.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I'll be the naysayer - I think the blue would be too much if you plan to display the (beautiful) bedding blue side up. I think Benjamin Moore's Coral Reef would be a lot of fun - and not quite pink either!

• lindac
    11 years ago

I agree....blue would be too much....and was scrolling like mad to suggest coral.

• peaches12345
    11 years ago

BM Coal Reef looks to be one beautiful color! It just has been put in my inspiration file.

• peaches12345
    11 years ago

BM Coal Reef looks to be one beautiful color! It just has been put in my inspiration file.

• slflaherty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did a quick Paintshop mock up to look at a few colours.

Here is BM Coral Reef:

• slflaherty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the blue from the bedding (not really a fan):

• slflaherty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And here's a navy blue:

• slflaherty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I also like the lighter pink I posted earlier in the thread. Every other colour I tried seemed to make the bedding look washed out. I do like the coral and the darker blue, but I don't think I would paint the whole room in those colours, probably just an accent wall (the wall with the bed). If I went with the paler pink, I would probably do the whole room in that colour. Thoughts?

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

What do you think about BM Antique Coral? It's on the same card as Coral Reef, but is much subtler and lighter.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Sunlit Coral is lighter still ...

• Lake_Girl
    11 years ago

Meander Blue by Sherwin Williams is my daughter's BR color. It's pretty! BTW, love the bedding!

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

Love the idea of the lighter coral color. How about a light colored lime green?

• ttodd
    11 years ago

Agree about a lighter coral color. The chips that Sunnycottage posted are so pretty. So light, fresh and airy!

These pics are just to show the blue combined w/ the coral and what a pretty combo it is. I really think that light coral that SC posted would be divine!

{{!gwi}}

Source: cotedetexas.blogspot.com via Tiffani on Pinterest

{{!gwi}}

Source: beachhouseinthecity.blogspot.com via Tiffani on Pinterest

{{!gwi}}

Source: bhg.com via Tiffani on Pinterest

• busybee3
    11 years ago

from my monitor, a light-med coral would look much better with the bedding than the pale pink...i don't care for the pink with it.

• gmp3
    11 years ago

Ooooh Annie's blue is pretty and I like the lighter corals.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Would a pale yellow or cream add one too many colors?

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

Since it's her room... what color does your daughter prefer?

• User
    11 years ago

The coral or pink you've sampled is really pretty but I'm a lover of the citrus greens and think that would also be a good option.

• cloudy_christine
    11 years ago

Like Pricklypearcactus, I am thinking a yellowy cream.

• dretutz
    11 years ago

Lemon Sorbet BM is a lovely, soft yellow

• loves2read
    11 years ago

is that bedding a PB teen pattern?

• lascatx
    11 years ago

What does the bed look like -- something neutral and upholstered like this or something wood, metal, painted? I think the color and texture could make a difference.

The lighter corals might be good. I first thought the aqua or a milk chocolate. Seeing the aqua, it seems washed out (her actual bed might make some difference there), and the chocolate might seem boring to a young girl (though it could be warm and colorful -- like a gingerbread cottage). Think about what else will be in the room (rug? window treatments? accessories that might bring other color accents).

My shopping would have been so different with two girls rather than two boys.....LOL Have fun!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Wall color usually lasts longer than bedding, so I would pick something very subtle. The coral can be jarring, if you don't have the light of the Bahamas.

I would have thought blue, but you tricked us by not showing the stylist's photo first. I would do the very light pink you showed there. You could probably even ask them what it is. They may even sell it.

Very nice choice, btw

• amykath
    11 years ago

I vote for a creamy yellow. When I first looked at the bedding that is what came to mind immediately.

Lovely bedding!

• jen9
    11 years ago

a rich cream. definitely. (a pale shell pink would be beautiful, but since I have a daughter slightly older than that and I know it wouldn't fly with her, Iam guessing it will be same for your daughter very soon if not already).

• slflaherty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for so many replies, and I apologize for not checking back all weekend. I will try to respond to as many questions as I can. Her room right now is painted a pale yellow, which I thought would look nice when I bought the bedding (which is Amy Butler "Sari Bloom", purchased at Bed Bath & Beyond). It turns out that the yellow really doesn't go with the bedding at all. It makes everything look very choppy. Her headboard is the same colour as the picture shown, although it is a bookshelf style headboard, not upholstered. She likes the navy blue mock up the best, but she acknowledges that the light pink is very pretty. I'm definitely leaning heavily towards the light pink. I think we'll probably paint the room the light pink colour and have her live with it for a little. After that, if she still feels like she wants the navy, we'll paint the accent wall and leave the other walls light pink. In this case I would probably put light pink curtains on the window on the accent wall to soften the navy a bit and to tie in the other walls. Sound like a good plan?

• Jess TKA
    11 years ago

I love that bedding (Amy Butler, right?) and almost bought it for DD but we ended up going another direction. I liked the suggestion to pair it with pale coral but the great thing about that pattern is that it would coordinate well with so many of the other options, too.

• BloomingHydrangea
    11 years ago

I have this bedding for my daugther's room as well and found this at Sherwin Williams the other day. We are definitely going to be incorporating the Begonia wall color. Just thought you might like some more color ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sherwin Williams