Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swimkin

Need suggestions for stairway rug treatments

Zoe52
9 years ago

We are in the middle of a new home build and I have a decorating problem that needs to be resolved somehow.

We will have two separate staircases. The front one will be trimmed out and finished to be a showcase staircase since it is visible from our front hall and door.

Our back staircase will be constructed with a cheaper surface (most likely pine) as our builder assumed it will be covered with carpeting. The staircase itself will not be seen directly from our great room as there will be a drywall in front of it. However you could see it from the hall that interconnects from my kitchen. My husband doesn't want to pay extra to install better wood/and or finishing on the back staircase since he doesn't feel that it will be seen.

Both staircases will meet at the top of a long hall at two separate junctures. Neither staircase will be in view of the other, however.

I have a very small dog who could fall down the stairs and be hurt if I don't carpet them. So I was always intending to put runners up the staircases and possibly up through my main hall on the second floor, too.

My husband wants to carpet the entire back staircase or paint the stairs and put a runner there.

Since I have lost the argument of installing better wood and finish on the back stairs, I really need some suggestions on how to tie the two together without making it look bad.

I was thinking of putting in some oriental style runners, but now I don't know how to treat the stairs.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Comments (12)

• User
    9 years ago

You aren't going to put oriental stair runners on the steps? Just in the hall? What am I misunderstanding?

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No was thinking of putting oriental stair runners on the hallway and the stairways. But now that we have cheaper wood on the back hallway I am not sure that it will look good there to see any of the wood.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Before you make a decision about oriental runners, you have to provide the width of the front stairs and the stair configuration and the width of the backstairs. I suspect they will be different width. Are they a straight run or are there landings or is the front stair curved? All these factors will influence our suggestions.

Sometimes premade runners are only available in 30" or 36". That width may not be enough for your upper hall.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd put an Oriental runner on the formal stairs and wall-to-wall berber on the back staircase.

• User
    9 years ago

I think you will have to treat them similarly if they meet at a landing somewhere.

• User
    9 years ago

Stairs eat up LOT of space . Redesign the plan to regain that space by only having one stairway.

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Too late to redesign.. we are building. Our framing is almost done and the roof and sheathing will be going on next week.

Although I only wanted the one staircase (which would mean more space for our great room and my adjacent laundry area) my husband insisted on having the second stairway. He has his office upstairs and an exercise room so he will be going up there a lot. I assume he will mostly be using the great room stairwell to get there.

Neither of the staircase treads can be seen from the other as they are at two ends of the upstairs hall.

Ok so if the width is too small for the upper hall would it be ok to end carpeting at the top stair with berber on the back stair and then an Oriental runner up the front stair?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Yes, it will be fine and look perfect. The back staircase seems to need full carpeting. If the stairs are not yet built, you could also save a few dollars by having plywood under them as they will be fully carpeted and put that money into great carpet.

• jakabedy
    9 years ago

What is the flooring surface on the upstairs hallway?

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The front stairway and the upstairs hall will be on-site stained and finished hardwood as is the remainder of the home. We only have tile/stone being installed in the bathrooms and laundry room.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I LOVE the whole two-staircases thing. Carry suitcases up and down the "utility" staircase so you don't bang the walls of the formal staircase and leave marks.

A client of mine has the same setup, a formal, Oriental-runner staircase that rises from the main foyer, and a back staircase (for the children). The back staircase, as well as her staircase to the basement, are done in wall-to-wall berber, which holds up very well.

Bumblebeez's suggestion to use plywood on the back staircase is a great one. No need to put expensive wood under wall-to-wall carpet.

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Tibbrix and Bumblebee! I am glad to hear that it is not an uncommon solution for a two staircase scenario.