Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Landing Area Cabinetry/Storage

oldbat2be
10 years ago

I'd love your input on the following. Please don't hesitate to make recommendations and/or point out any issues you see.

As part of our family room remodel, we added an 18" wall (shown in purple) to block off part of the landing area of the stairs going to the attic (not living space, 1/2 finished, 1/2 unfinished). The landing area has always been wasted space.

The goal of the wall was to increase the wall space in the family room. A nice side effect is that I think it will be great for some built in, 15" deep, 36" wide cabinets and storage, against the back wall.

It's a small area, with three doors/openings (attic, bathroom, family).

The purple arrows show the area:

The doorway here is 36" wide and we're fairly confident we are still able to get things up and down the stairs as needed.

Here's how it looks from the family room looking in. View to the right:

View to the left, showing the attic stairs:

And finally, from the attic stairs looking down.

Cabinetry plan: 36" wide by 15" deep, to full ceiling height (8'). New wall on right is 18" deep.

I'd like two lower drawers, in which we can store comforters/afghans for both family room use and in our bedroom (past the bathroom on the left).

For the family room, we will need a place for electronics (cable box, xbox) and this is a possible place for these in an upper cabinet.

Otherwise... ?

I designed the area in Sketch-Up and here are a few shots.

Comments (6)