Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Small house, simple materials palette

palimpsest
11 years ago

This small (850 sq ft) house just came onto the market in my neighborhood. This type of restraint is very rare in this market and at this price point.

It's one bedroom + office, rather than 2-bedroom, which limits its market, and I won't comment on the kitchen layout, but it's generally very nice. These are those Realtor's fish-eye pictures. Keep that in mind.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (24)

• Jess TKA
    11 years ago

It looks much larger to me than 850 sq ft so it seems they've done a nice job of creating a spacious, open feeling. I could never live there, though, as I envision myself tumbling over the edge of the stairs each morning before I've had coffee. I'm clumsy and accident-prone. ;)

Also, I must be rather immature because the two pillows on the bed made me pause, look twice, then giggle. I'm sure that wasn't your intent in posting this... sorry.

• Sandy1963
    11 years ago

I had to look twice at the stairway edge, before I realized that there's a glass half-wall there!

And, I'm with wifisker, lol'ing at the bed pillows.

But I do think it's a cute place though.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

If I were young, single, and on my own professionally, I would jump at such a place, after adding a top cap to the glass around the stairwell opening, devising something similarly invisible for the stair itself, building a closet wall in one of those upstairs rooms, and designing an island for the kitchen that could also serve as a table.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

love the exterior and garden

why wouldn't the seller have put inI a closet to call it a 2br?

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I would do a full glass corner at the head of the stairs and then create another separate room by putting a wall back only enough to create privacy.

The staircase issue could be resolved without having too much of a negative impact on the simplicity, I think. Glass, or perforated mesh would work.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here, I am not sure that 2nd bedroom is defined as much by a closet as it is a separate room that can be closed off.

• porkandham
    11 years ago

My house before I got married had almost this exact layout. The upstairs was divided into two separate bedrooms, though. The bath was at the top of the stairs. I'm guessing that's where it's located in this house. My stairs were open like that, but not on the second floor and no glass! There had originally been a bad wrought iron railing on the stairs that I removed. Having them open really helped the small living room feel larger.. The cabinets remind me of my grandmother's. In a good way!

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I like this very much. I would need a smaller sink and some counter space in the bathroom and, as Bronwynsmom stated, an island with storage that doubles as a table would better for me in the kitchen.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

Pal, are you thinking of adding to your real estate holdings?

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not in the least, although I would consider buying a parking space to rent out. I am trying to divest of real estate.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

That appeals to the part of me who still occasionally fantasizes about being young, single, and very much carefree and unburdened by things. It does indeed live like a much larger space. It looks so clean and airy, and although it's not really the style I'm most drawn to, I still think it's quite lovely.

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

This is very similar to many Canadian houses I've seen on HGTV, but mostly duplexes. For me, they are a novelty as we don't have that kind of house near here. The only thing I'd find absolutely necessary is replacing that kitchen table and cheap folding chairs with an actual dining table. You can eat your Cheerios and bologna sandwiches anywhere, but a candlelight dinner requires an an actual table, maybe even a tablecloth.

• rafor
    11 years ago

I could live there! What's the price?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

That looks like a very expensive kitchen. I am guessing this house is no bargain.

Okay, I'll bite. Why are you showing it to us?

I notice the house that everybody got mad at when I said it was overpriced is still on the market.

Here is a link that might be useful: I cant recall where this was listed?

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A bit under $400,000 which is a good price for a house in this neighborhood, although a bit high for something that is one bedroom one bath in this neighborhood. Of course it's really the lot scraped clean that holds most of the value here. When I had to get insurance for my house around the corner, the appraiser said as much.

• katrina_ellen
    11 years ago

I love the kitchen cabinetry, in a small space it would really help to avoid a cluttered look. The bathroom is very handsome. To me the only thing thats missing is a yard.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think it has a small one, and technically it is freestanding which is really unusual in the downtown area. There is One freestanding Georgian-Federal house in Center City, I think, and that's it.

• Fori
    11 years ago

I love how the stairs march right into the kitchen cabinetry. It's clever. Or maybe it's normal for tall skinny houses and I've just never seen it like that. Overall it seems nicely done in the style we used to call "bachelor chic". It needs a Nagel to be complete.

• Bethpen
    11 years ago

If it was just me, I'd love it.

Beth P.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Agreed-younger and single-would love it. Well, if I were someone who ever wanted to live in a city (other than Paris, of course). ;)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

are the windows only on the front and rear elevation?

what is to the right and left?

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There is a side window in the bathroom. There must be a slight setback. Although this house is freestanding I think, the width of the house is the width of the lot so typically there are no side windows on houses here, just front and back, and if there is a rear setback maybe some side windows in the back rooms.

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

That light over the folding kitchen table is exactly the light I need for my kitchen. I wonder the source.

I think it's a great space, actually. And it appears to be well designed for close quarters.

• sochi
    11 years ago

Very cute. A few GW sins in the kitchen. Suzanne is right that we have many similar houses in urban Canadian cities, typically duplexes, some freestanding. A friend of mine has a freestanding house almost exactly the same size and layout as this one, I'll have to show this to her.

The price seems very good to me, but we haven't had a real estate depression here. I really like the bathroom.

The stairs are an unacceptable risk to me, not to code here for certain.