Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amacalle

Help with shelves!

amacalle
10 years ago

Hello! I have two shelves that I started to refinish and really need advice on. The first one we bought for 20$ and we were told it was solid mahoghony (not sure if that is true) but had been painted white.

I sanded down the top an sides but I don't think I have the patience to do all the inside and so am thinking of repainting part of it. Do you think this could look nice or should I just buckle down and sand the whole thing? If painting any color suggestions? I would really appreciate the help. All the other furniture in my bedroom is wooden and it has hideous 70s paneling (an apartment) I would appreciate any advice

Comments (12)

• amacalle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a pic of the top with a better view of the type of wood

• amacalle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also got this little shelf and would love a suggestion for a cute fun paint color for it !!! The only other color in the room is a yellow and white bedspread. Thank you guys!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I love the shelves! I'd strip them instead of sanding with all that detail on the front sides. Cute little curio cabinet. Are you thinking a bright color like teal?

• amacalle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, I was using paint stripper but had some trouble getting it off the front parts but will try again. I was thinking of a using a bright or pastel color on the curio cabinet but am not sure I like teal

• alex9179
    10 years ago

A light yellow, since you are already using it.

For the book case, you can do a Miss Mustard Seed thing and wax the top while painting the bottom. She has a blog if you'd like to check out her examples of painted furniture.

I don't know if you can do this or if it's in your budget, but you can hang linen-like curtains around your room to hide the paneling. You can use sheets from Wal-Mart if curtain panels are too pricey.
    I really like the idea of using mirrors behind the panels, too. Kind of like this photo. Just keep them off the floor for easy vacuuming.

• amacalle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did already buy a sample of a light yellow that I was going to check out. I do really like some of the furniture on miss mustard seeds blog (some of it is a little too distressed) and I like how the pieces with wooden tops and painted bottom came out, so thanks for the link! I also love the look of the curtains around the room with mirrors, and think it is a great idea. I just wonder how long we will be in the apartment, but I am sure I could put them to use in the future over windows or other ugly walls. So I will check out the prices on that project this weekend

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Look at painter's drop cloths, too, for the curtains. Might be even cheaper and the linen/muslin color could be just right.

Here is a link that might be useful: no sew curtains

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I think the bookcase would look look gorgeous in a soft pastel aqua which goes so well with yellow and white but leave the top wood and just wax it. For the cabinet I'd do the inside the same soft aqua and paint the rest of it some form of white to compliment the white on the bed. With a few wall items and maybe drapes you'll have a charming room.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I'm with YaYa. Aqua looks lovely with yellow.

• amacalle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the advice! I think you guys might just be convincing me on the teal/aqua. Here is a picture of the room so you know what I'm dealing with. I would like to refinish all the furniture eventually but it is quite a bit of work!

• amacalle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I picked up intense teal from sherwin williams and hated it! Luckily thy were able to change it to be more like peacock ble and it's coming out very nice so far

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Kick the stripper up a notch. After you have covered with stripper, overlay with seran wrap. This increases the strippers reaction and keeps any from drying out.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022