Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mossfern_gw

Outlet covers and switchplates

Mossfern
9 years ago

I'm currently redoing the living/dining/den area of my house. It's an 1880's Victorian cottage. We've removed walls, but left support beams with finished trim painted the same as the rest of the trim and exposed the original funky crooked brick chimney that serviced the original potbelly stove in the living room. (stove no longer there)

The walls are Benjamin Moore "Weimaraner", a deep taupy gray, and the trim is "Acadia White".

The issue is the color of the switch plate and outlet covers. The painters left them off-white and they look like little white rectangles all over the place. Do people no longer paint these to blend in with the walls? My son said - "Hey- they're outlets, nobody's going to judge you on that-they have a use." I guess I could get decorative switch plates, but the outlet covers do stand out, and we have lots of them in not so inconspicuous places.

When I had my kitchen painted, the painters refused to paint them the color of the wall. So, I guess there are two schools on this.

I can't believe that I made all these major decisions with the project and am baffled by this!

It's "project exhaustion" I guess. I just want it over.

Oh, the question:
Paint or leave white?

Comments (15)

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I 'm a decorative painter and I always paint the plates to match the wall finish for my clients. However, in my own home, I just have regular painted walls and I leave the plates unpainted.

• amck2
    9 years ago

Re painting plates & switches While it seems like an easy and logical solution, I don't think it would be practical, especially for switches that get used often. I'm always wiping down my outlets & switches and I don't think it would take long before the paint began to chip or wear off. That would be more unsightly to me than a standard neutral unpainted plate.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

It's personal preference and based on your conditions. I prefer them painted out, but you might want to consider an alternative at the often used light switches in the room.

Sometimes just not having them white next to such a deep color takes the emphasis off the cover.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Maybe just paint the outlet covers (generally less of an issue w/ having to clean them, wipe off fingerprints, etc.) and leave the switchplates alone, and see if that helps? I have most of my outlet covers painted to match the wall, but most of my switchplate covers are not painted.

You can get outlet covers that are specifically intended to be painted.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

To paint them, I always scuff them up with sandpaper, and use a bonding primer. That seems to work fine and I've never had a complaint of chipping paint. Sometimes I will also put a matte varnish over a switchplate if it's going to be used a lot.

• Lars
    9 years ago

In my kitchen, I switched all of mine to brushed stainless steel, and I find them easier to clean than the ivory plastic ones.

When I did wallpapering, I would wallpaper the switch plates with the same paper. It is necessary to sand the plates first so that the paper will adhere, and I would assume that the same would be true for painting them. If I were going to paint the covers and plates, I would use a semi-gloss that would be easy to clean. If you can find a spray paint that is an acceptable color, that might be easier for you. Otherwise, you can search on line for a variety of switch plates that are now available.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: Just Switch plates

• pammyfay
    9 years ago

I'd either paint them (that's what I did) or find decorative covers.

But just to throw something else out there: What color are the actual outlets and switches themselves? Because you might end up painting the covers and then realizing you have a lot of bright-white switches or outlet holes (when not in use). I have that situation in a couple areas in the house where the plates aren't hidden by something else or where there isn't always something plugged in.

So you might want to experiment with one or two to see the full look.

I do remember on this board a few years ago that some people said they also painted those outlets, too. I don't remember their techniques (whether it was a special paint that would resist chipping from all the switch-on/switch-off or plug inserting that goes on).

The Masque plates look like a great invention. I just don't want to go through that entire replacement project again, tho. (I had so many surfaces covered with outlet covers drying!)

• Mossfern
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I knew that if I brought it here I'd get some help.
    Sheesharee, those outlet masques are exactly what I need! I'm going to order them today as soon as I get home and count to see how many I need.

I'll use something more decorative for the switch plates to make the look more intentional.

• western_pa_luann
    9 years ago

"Do people no longer paint these to blend in with the walls? "

They sure do still paint them.
    I paint mine as I do not see outlet covers as a design element. The less they stick out, the better!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Love the products from Forbes and Lomax. I have linked to one product with a dark receptacle, but they have light ones as well. Their switches and dimmers are amazing! At least, I think so.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forbes and Lomax

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

We bought ours at Lowes. The cover plate snaps on (unlike the magnetic ones sold at HD), so no screws are visible. Looks great, and easy to clean.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

One other option is to decoupage. Make a sample board (onto a piece of wood, sticking tiles to wood with doublesided tape, and grouting with final grout color. Wait a few days, then take board to Staples and photocopy with different color selections until pleased with output. Then, decoupage to outlet cover. Very satisfying to get it right:)

• Mossfern
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, you can hardly see the outlet there. I used to do that when I wallpapered myself. It was always a challenge to get the pattern to match up exactly.

These walls are painted though.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

They also make clear plastic switch plates where you can insert wall paper or a piece of paper painted to match the wall so it blends in perfectly, yet is protected from fingerprints and such.

Here is a link that might be useful: outlet covers