Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artydecor

Are these drapes the proper fullness?

artydecor
11 years ago

I have four drapery panels on this window. This is how they look closed. Do you think I should add another panel to either side for more fullness, or are they OK now?{{!gwi}}

PS- The tiny little paint chip on the wall to the left is Ellen Kennon's Mustard seed, which I'm considering. Too dark?

Comments (26)

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Generally pole top drapes are not opened and closed. If they were kept open, shirred to the sides, that would be enough fabric.

As for the Mustard Seed wall color, you have a jumble of colors there - purple, white, orange, red, blue, brown. And you have an assortment of styles with the modern drapes to the traditional lamps and side tables, and the fake fur throw. It is hard to understand what your design plan is for this room.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

If you are keeping them closed... add more panels.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

No they do not look full enough, but with rod pocket top it is hard to get them fuller. Can you add clip rings and 2 more panels if you plan to close them regularly? Clip rings make them slide better too. For my tastes, that is way too much color and patterns already so my vote would be definitely not on the mustard seed paint. I would go with a more neutral wall color and also probably plain solid curtains too.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I think you need two large panels instead of four.

Gray, why can't pole top drapes be opened? I used to do it all the time and they looked fine. What am I missing?

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I think they look a tad skimpy. I like the boho chic/cottage look you're crafting. I assume this is the winter version with the velvet pillows and fur throw. The only things I don't like are the lamps. They seem to small and too ordinary to fit with your look, but they are good place holders until you find something with a more interesting shape. You might consider changing the shades so they match.

• peaches12345
    11 years ago

I would also add 2 more panels if closing the drapes. That's a lot of color and pattern, so I agree with others to ditch the patterned pillows for solids and the fur throw or change the drapes to a solid. The end tables look crammed in and crowded there, but since we can't see the rest of the room it's hard to judge other changes which might be made. Can you post more pictures of the rest of your room?

• lolauren
    11 years ago

If the drapes will stayed closed, I think you need at least twice as many drapes to make that area look right. However, the drape pattern (when the drapes are closed like that) is a bit overwhelming. I would push those drapes to the sides and fill the center with neutral, light, solid color drapes OR window blind/roller shade in the center. Then you get the color and pattern you want, but not in such a bold way...

• artydecor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Back from apple picking! The drapes are kept open during the day, then closed at night for privacy. I don't have any problem opening and closing them, they have back tabs which probably makes it easier. More pictures:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

It's obviously a very "lived in" living room- the main area for tv watching, reading, talking. I like color and don't like a restrained, limited pallete (obviously). The colors are plum, berry red, orange and gold, with a little teal green.
    We haven't painted in twelve years, and it's time. I still kind of like the muted gold wall color, but am open to suggestions.

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

I like your room, sonicmom. It's very cozy and lively.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Wow! I love your room! Yes, you've got a lot "going on" in there, but that's precisely the look that appeals to me most! I think a deep gold color would be beautiful on the walls. Your current color is fine, but something deeper and richer would bring an extra touch of drama to your already vibrant, interesting room.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Gray, why can't pole top drapes be opened? I used to do it all the time and they looked fine. What am I missing?

Oak, I wrote that it is generally not done, and there are two reasons that come to mind. With a curtain shirred on a pole, there is no mechanism, such as a cord or puller to move the fabric, so you are touching and pulling on the fabric. Some fabric can take that amount of movement and handling, more fragile fabrics can't. Secondly, a pole top drape lacks the extra built in fabric of a pinch pleat, so the closed version looks more like a blind than a traditional drapery. In a modern room, this may be the clean look they are seeking. In a traditional setting, it looks chincy.

• lakeaffect
    11 years ago

Sonicmon-

Great room and I think the drapes are plenty full, adding a panel would (IMO of course) make them too full and would not allow you to open them enough to let light in during the day. But I am a nekkid window person anyway and don't care for the "over draped" look.

WRT the gold color, I think it would look nice in your room, gold and purple is a great combo. But it is very close in tone to the yellow you already have in thiere, so if you want something different, try a green from your rug, that would also work, again, IMO, but I am a color fan and do not care for monotone neutrals.

Your LR exudes warmth, personality and life and is very inviting. Have fun getting your eclectic groove on.

Sandponder

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

Yes, I'd add a pair of panels to that window if you can arrange them so they don't block out any additional light during the daytime. I'm assuming the other window's curtains look more full when closed since the windows are narrower, so it makes sense to try for the same look on that larger window IMO.

I like the current wall color and can't tell how the bolder mustard would look, but I want to tell you that I love the fact that your room reflects your personality and doesn't look like every other room. It's warm and happy and I really enjoy it. I don't know anything about pottery, but your collection is intriguing!

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

Yes, I'd add a pair of panels to that window if you can arrange them so they don't block out any additional light during the daytime. I'm assuming the other window's curtains look more full when closed since the windows are narrower, so it makes sense to try for the same look on that larger window IMO.

I like the current wall color and can't tell how the bolder mustard would look, but I want to tell you that I love the fact that your room reflects your personality and doesn't look like every other room. It's warm and happy and I really enjoy it. I don't know anything about pottery, but your collection is intriguing!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I agree with Sandy Ponder and would not add additional panels.

• artydecor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the kind feedback! The drapes look a little skimpy when we close them at night, and it's been bugging me. I decided to go ahead and get two more panels, I can always take them down if they block too much of the window during the day.
    The room is still in progress, I've brought in some new things (including the drapes), moved around some old things, and some things are still as they were before. I want to make sure everything in it is comfortable and functional, as well as looking nice.

• maddielee
    11 years ago

Your room is so pretty, prettier when the drapes are open.

Are you sure you need to close them at night for privacy? If the privacy is necessary, how about putting a roller shade or blinds between the shears and the window?

ML

• francoise47
    11 years ago

I agree with Maddielee--

Your room is very pretty and I love the bold pattern on the drapes
    when the drapes are open.
    A roller shade behind the sheers
    will give you some privacy at night.
    (I've encountered this same "problem" with my bold kitchen cafe curtains:
    while I love them open by day, the bold pattern freaks me out when they are closed at night.)

I like the drapes with your existing light gold/yellow walls.

In the unsolicited advice category:
    Although I like your rug,
    I'd be tempted if it were my house to replace it with a more neutral rug.
    I like the purple curtains with yellow or orange accents more than red accents.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

I know you didn't ask for opinions on the color and design of the drapes, but for what it's worth...

I LOVE the color in the drapes. In an otherwise neutral room, they would look great.

Now this is just MY opinion, but I think they are ruining an otherwise lovely room. Until the addition of the drapes everything worked perfectly together. The drapes overwhelm the room now. They clash with the beautiful rug and all of the pillows except for the solid red.

The stunning drapes are competing with the stunning rug, rather than the two blending nicely together or one complimenting the other.

I think you are like me in that you love color and you want each element to be striking. But when two stars are competing for attention, the overall picture suffers. A darker yellow on the walls is going to cause a three ring circus affect. I would have a hard time wondering which one of the independently beautiful elements to look at.

Naturally it is your home and if you love it that is all that matters!

• artydecor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A more neutral rug might bring things up a notch, agreed. Right now, we couldn't afford to replace it. There is also a side of me that loves traditional style, and I've always thought of oriental rugs as a safe, traditional base for a room.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Isn't the rug what is tying the colors in the room together? I assumed those colors are all in the rug, though I can't make them out on my monitor.

I think I once heard someone say that an Oriental Rug should be treated as a "neutral" and that you can put any color, pattern, or style with it. I agree that such rugs can work with an amazing array of things, but obviously there are always limitations, lol.

I'm just having trouble understanding where you are trying to take this room by adding those particular drapes. Everything else is so consistent and then all of a sudden, there is this huge blast of a different color and style. ???

• loribee
    11 years ago

I love what you have going on...it's cozy, interesting and just a fun blend. See the mustard plate that you have, or your lampshade? Notice how striking they look in your room - maybe a paint color like BM shelborne buff (my fan deck is at work so excuse me if the color name isn't exactly right...) or a rich carmel (tan-gold) color would be lovely.
    I also think your red throw would be stunning draped on your couch. :)

• dakota01
    11 years ago

Have you thought about moving them higher up on the wall/window? IMHO I'm not crazy about the pattern w/your other patterns - the drapes seem to take over the room, that's kind of all I see when I look at your pics.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I love your glassware collection. Would you mind sharing a photo of the entire grouping?

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

I'd love to see that glassware too. Everything on that wall is lovely!

• artydecor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again! You see some pieces of depression glass, a pot my father brought home from Peru (it's decorated with cattails and GEESE), a McCoy vase, and some of my Steubenville Woodfield plates. I'll try to get more pictures tomorrow. I've been collecting the Woodfield plates, that irridescent gold color of depression glass, and pewter for a long time and have various pieces throughout the room. More is in the dining room.

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz