Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindy24_gw

Wall color... to dark and gloomy for me

cindy24
10 years ago

Our home is 1 floor and our living room is tied to our little eating area and continues to the kitchen.
One side of the wall is painted a dark brown color and the rest is a light brown color. Our curtains are on the orange side. Our kitchen cabinets are dark too.
It's so dark in here and I want to lighten up. I was thinking a light orange?? Or even just going with a clean white to get rid of that dark brown...
What can I do with the dark wall and keep the light brown sides?

Comments (11)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

IDK... I think it is dark in there because I see inadequate lighting! Not a paint color issue at all...

That said -
    I don't like accent walls, so I would paint it the same color as the other walls.

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

I'd also use the same color as the other walls.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Another vote to paint all the walls one color.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

If you do like accent walls, how about a darker version of the other walls...it would still be a lot lighter than the brown. In fact, if you painted some time ago, chances are the same color won't match now and will just look off.

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

Paint the walls all one light color and add lighting. I am not seeing table lamps; is that possible. Also, you could do a pretty floor lamp beside the entertainment center.

• cindy24
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all!!

I'm not big on accent walls either. This is a new home and the people who had it built picked everything. Well, their finance didn't go through. So we purchased the house with "their" styles. Now I have to change things to make it "us".
    I don't want to depend too much on lighting to make it bright. I definitely am on the side to repaint the wall so it will be the same as the other walls.
    Thanks everyone for the input!

• cindy24
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I do have to put some sort of lamp or torch lamp somewhere in there. We use the light from our ceiling fan for now. But I will look into lamps and floor lamps and possibly the idea of a darker version of the other walls.

I would never have thought of these ideas on my own. I'm horrible at decorating.

Thanks again everyone!

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

I have a LOT of light (not natural) in my LR. Similar paint color. Trust me, the light does NOT help.

• amykath
    10 years ago

Cindy,

I am a big fan of lamps and spaced out lighting, not just one single overhead light. I think lamps give a room a nice warm feeling that one overhead light simply cannot do. I think once you buy a few lamps and turn them on and turn off the overhead you will love the feeling you get from them.

• lizbeth-gardener
    10 years ago

It looks like you would have good light (daytime) if the blinds were open. Are they closed because of television /light reflection? If so, can you move the t.v. where it's not an issue?

I like a mixture of light at night for warmth and reading-- table lamps and floor lamps. The floor lamp could be a torchiere or regular floor lamp. Lamp light is not as harsh as an overhead light.

I would also paint all walls the same color.

• cindy24
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We get lots of nice daylight. But come night, it gets gloomy especially during the Fall and Winter. We decided to paint that dark wall the same color as the rest of the wall. Then I'm looking into lamps :)
    Everyone can see I'm in need for that! My ceiling fan light is a warm color which doesn't help. So if anyone has good advice on a nice Torchiere lamp let me know...
    You all have been very helpful. I appreciate everyones input.

Thanks again!!