Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Velvet Sofa

Posted by jenangelcat (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 10:22

I've never been so excited for a furniture delivery before. I ordered custom fabric for a new sofa and two chairs 9 weeks ago and they are finally being delivered today.

At this point I can barely remember what the sofa looked like and I have no idea how it'll look with the blue velvet.

I'll post photos as soon they arrive!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Velvet Sofa

I can't wait to see it! I have been having little fantasies about a blue velvet sofa.. but have feared taking the plunge because I've been such a neutral lover. I am not sure what planted the blue velvet seed in my head.. but I will love seeing yours!

o

Here's the sofa. I posted the rest of the pictures on my blog if you want to check them out. I'll post photos of the living room later because I definitely need advice on layout and other stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sofa and Chairs

o

Posh!

o

It is gorgeous-- and very much the style I was envisioning for myself. Can't wait for the photos!!

o

Here's the room. The tables are going including the treadle that the tv is sitting on. I need to be able to see the tv and have a wide enough table to play board games on.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Here are the other two layouts I played with. It's kind of hard to figure out without the rest of the furniture.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

The last one there ignores the tv.

So I need advice on placement and what else to put in here. Last week I was sure I wanted dark wood to warm the room up but now that the sofa is here I'm thinking my original plan for lucite, white and chrome would be better suited. In December we're heading to Halifax to do the shopping so I have plenty of time to decide. All I know for sure is that I want a sheepskin and this rug;

Photobucket

Thoughts?

P.S Here's the overhead, the room is about 16x 16 and 4"

o

Are you getting a cabinet on which you will place the tv? The jumble of wires should be hidden.

Love the sofa!!! Fabulous!!!

o

Love the sofa and chairs!!

o

EG3d- I'm definitely getting a cabinet.

madtown-The sales lady was a little skeptical of my fabric choices but I think I did good.

o

That sofa is stunning. You just HAVE to sit on something like that when you see it.

I can't see the color of the chair with the pattern. Is it grey? So what is your color scheme in there?

o

Cindy-Thanks! My other sofa was so out of shape that it was sitting practically on the floor. This one is nice and solid and high.

The chairs are both grey. My scheme is up in the air. I'm leaning towards red/blue/grey because it's easier but orange has this lovely zing to it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I think your next few moves are going to be critical in making these three pieces work together. Right now, I don't think velvet is playing well with that very contemporary pattern on the chair. Somehow you need to marry them and red or orange pillows won't do it.

I think the sofa needs at least one pillow in a similar pattern or color to the chair. Can you put the back cushion from the chair on the sofa so we can see how the three pieces would look that way?

Can you find a pillow fabric or rug that has blue, grey, and your choice of an accent color in it? Are your walls grey with grey/blue drapes?

You can hide your tv wires with a big plant or basket on the shelf under the table. I'd wait till you are set on the larger items though.

o

I have not seen anything in my colour scheme. Rugs around here are still brown and blue. I can get solid grey but so far nothing with the three colours. I can check Etsy for cushion covers.

The too long curtains are silvery grey and the too short curtains are blue. If the couch doesn't end up in front of those short curtains, I'll switch them out to match the other ones.

o

My DD has the exact sofa, but in a gray/blue. It was used in a model home but she purchased it from a furniture consignment store for $300. It's a great style!

Just my 2 cents, but don't think the red rug would be a good choice. Something with a pattern and the colors you'll be using might work better.

As for the chairs, maybe pillows on the sofa in the same color or the throw pillows from sofa on chairs would tie the room together. I feel you're wanting an eclectic style, but it's just not happening, yet.

o

Ahhh,what a difference it makes to carry some of each color around the grouping. I would leave out your accent color for now and figure out how to pull the sofa and patterned chair together. The third chair is a blank slate that can do anything you want once you've married the sofa and the patterned chair.

I think part of the problem is the very deep blue against the much lighter greys. And as beautiful as that blue is, I think it would be even more beautiful with something breaking it up just a little.

Are your walls grey or blue?

My suggestion is that you go to a fabric store and find a pretty print that has the blue and grey in it. It's doesn't have to be all blue and grey, it just needs to have a noticeable amount of those colors. The chair print is large so I would look for a small print to coordinate.

I googled fabric blue grey stripe and found the one linked. I think the scale is too big, but I like those three colors together for you.

Do you want the room to be more contemporary like the chair or are you trying to go towards some other style?

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Grey Stripe

o

I'll have to google fabrics. The nearest fabric store doesn't carry anything remotely nice. Sucks to be rural.

I actually don't have any set style in mind.

So what should I do for a rug? Should I just go grey to blend in? I think it's highly unlikely that I'll find anything in multiple colours. Even in grey most are solid, this one is really the only pattern I could find that's within budget. It seems like the pattern would clash though.

Thanks for the replies so far!

o

The walls are grey with a slight blue undertone and a little darker than the photos show.

o

Short of finding the perfect rug to bring it all together, I think you need to concentrate on finding a fabric that will do that.

How formal do you want the room to be? Informal enough to consider carpet tiles? You could buy them in different colors and make your own pattern. You can also have an area rug made from two or more carpets. You could buy a large carpet and put a smaller one on top to get the colors you want. At the very least I'm sure you can find a two toned rug in either the blue or the grey.

Are you comfortable with a very modern style? I'm having trouble seeing wooden tables with that contemporary chair. I think the sofa and chair are already two very different styles. It can work, but it's going to be all about how you finish the room.

Another option for bringing it together is to use the walls. I'm sure you don't want to repaint that whole huge area. I don't usually care for an "accent wall", but that sofa is going to be the focal point of the room anyway so I think doing something special on that wall might work.

o

What size rug are you looking for and what is your budget?

o

Doesn't have to be super formal, I have three kids and it's a farmhouse. I'd consider carpet tiles. The red rug was $800 and wool, I can't budget any more than that. I think 8x10 to fit under furniture, anything bigger will cover to much of my new floor. I'm pretty much limited to sears and home depot for rugs.

I like modern. I also don't think wood is going to work. Wood was a latch ditch effort to warm the room up but I don't particularly like wood tones.

I've done accent walls before so I'd have no problem with wallpapering a wall. If I went with wallpaper I would be looking for blue and grey together right?

o

If you can spend $800 for an 8 x 10, you'll find a rug that works. But I don't think the rug is the place to start.

I think your priority should be to get something either on or behind that sofa, to make it work with the chair. It might be as simple as putting solid dark grey pillows on the sofa. If you can live with abstract art, you could do a large "painting" with your colors in it.

Redoing the entire accent wall might be tricky. You have to work with the color on all those other walls. It will be easy to make the existing wall color look washed out, too grey, too blue, etc. I wonder if you could keep the current wall color as background and add a few other colors to it by using those new stencils that look like wallpaper.

I'm a paper hangar but I am loving those new stencils, lol. There is nothing quite like being able to get the exact colors you want!

Go to a paint store and get chips of every grey and blue they have. Check out the stencil site (sorry I don't know where it is) and see if there is a pattern you like.

Yes, I think you do need to start with the idea of finding something with blue and grey, and I think the hues you use will be very important.

I'm still thinking. I'd love to hear some others weigh in ...the people here always know just what is needed!

o

Oh that sofa is awesome!

o

If it comes down to it, I can always order two cushions in either of the chair fabrics from the furniture store.

Here's a blue grey from Etsy. Probably not enough grey though.

I really appreciate your insight!

o

Here's a better idea of the colours.

o

My time is limited right at the moment, but I wanted to weigh in quickly. I think getting the chair and sofa to work together is very doable-- it will be tricky until you get the right fabric but it's not something I'd stress about-- revel in that BEAUTIFUL sofa and start looking at room photos that have similar color schemes. I know I saw a few and I will go back through and try to find them to share with you.

I also thought of a stencil on that back wall but now that I hear you are in a farmhouse, I wonder if it's the right way to go. I'd want to go a little more "modern cottage" or "modern country" than full out modern and bold.

How do you feel about mixing patterns? I know many don't like to do so but I could see striped gray and blue pillows to go on both the chairs--and another small pattern on the sofa. I love the idea of that because it brings in the colors to each.. and you keep a bit of that cottage feel by mixing patterns.

Personally, I'd go pretty simple for a rug. Like you said, I wouldnt want to compete with your lovely floors.. or the lovely furniture. What are your thoughts on ordering a rug unseen? I have gotten some great deals on lovely rugs from overstock-- and yes, it's a PIA to return them but you can return them if they don't work.

As for tables-- I love your idea of a glass table. I think that's a perfect direction. There's one I am absolutely in love with at z gallerie that has a mirror on the bottom, glass on top and a wooden frame with a metallic finish. I think it would be stunning in your space-- but it is square and may be too big.

Just some scattered thoughts here.. I will look for some photos later this evening. I'd hold off on worrying too much about an accent color until you find the fabrics and rug-- one, you may find one that brings in the accent color and two,

o

Thanks for weighing in Funkyart. I always try to go cottagey but always end up more modern so combining the two would be great. I'm not opposed to mixing prints at all, more just scared of screwing it up.

One of the original rugs I was looking at is this one from Home Depot. I was hoping for wool but not finding much in wool that works. Hubby is flying home next week so I might get him to pick the rug up and see how it works, if it doesn't he can take it back when he flies back out.

I'm always wary of buying stuff online only because the colours never seem to be accurate. It doesn't stop me from shopping for low end things but buying a huge rug might be too much of a risk.

o

Jen it is so easy to have custom pillow covers made, I would search for fabric rather than pillows that are already finished. I think the pattern on the grey blue Etsy pillow is too close in size to the chair pattern.

I was thinking a fairly plain rug too, but now I'm wondering if getting some dark blue under those chairs might not be the best way to carry the blue throughout the group. Not all dark blue of course, but something with dark blue in it. I've been looking and have not found anything yet.

Your chair looks completely different in that last picture. In that picture, it works much better with the sofa, because the dark (grey?) is as dark as the sofa. Is it dark grey and white or dark grey with light grey?

Judging by the pics on your blog, you like light rooms but you enjoy a little bit of color here and there?

Do you have something in mind for over your sofa? Someone here has a painting of a barn (blue?) with a big orange sun in the background. The same person has a blue chair in the room and together it all looks stunning. I'm thinking a print or painting with the right colors might be the way to get those colors on the wall behind the sofa rather than treating the entire wall.

o

The chair dark grey with silvery grey. It's borderline metallic.

I've been doing lighter colours since moving here but have previously had dark colours. I'm aiming for navy walls in the bedroom.

i've been looking at artwork including sunset/rise images and nothing is catching my eye yet.

o
Wall art

I was looking at pictures of Starry Night because I love the intense blue with the bright yellow in those paintings. I also think of pictures of the Northern Lights for some intense blue color with a lot of dark grey or black behind it.

Art is such a matter of personal preference, but there is plenty of it out there with your colors in it!

o

Hmm, sounds like the chair has a satiny sheen? I think glass tables with silver (whether metal or painted) legs would be beautiful in there.

I was thinking of sunsets too, because the sky might be grey but with the bright orange/yellow/red that will be look so good with that sofa. Are you looking at paintings or photographs?

I've got some kind of bug and have enjoyed this distraction all day, lol. I just LOVE that sofa and can't wait to see the room evolve!

o

Glad to entertain you. I'm looking at both pictures and paintings. I have one that I took but I don't think it's high enough quality to print out.

o

I love your new sofa!! I also love the Etsy bird pillow and your idea of using pops of orange as an accent. The trick for you will be marrying your love of "contemporary, silvery stuff" with your beautiful farmouse-style home. Lots of natural textures combined with the silvery, plus a simple, linear, fresh rug....

Here is some inspiration! Go wild in Halifax! (All this stuff is online, but no idea what stores you have up there.)
Photobucket

o

The sofa does look great ... but I hope you tested the durability of the fabric. I just had several chairs reupholstered in a very expensive velvet, we barely used them when some water got spilt on one of them. The velvet stained with plain old water and the texture changed too. The designer will make things right, but it means the chairs need to be reupholstered and it will be hard to find another "perfect" fabric.

I have now tested all the other fabrics I used to make sure they won't stain with water!

o

Love your blue velvet sofa and your last arrangement...how pretty!
Shanghaimom...great ideas! Yes to mixing patterns!

o

LOVE IT! How old are your kids?

I always wonder at what age can I get away from Leather and have a sofa like that. I fear that with a messy DH, four DS, and three cats the answer might be never! I will have to live vicariously through you. :)

o

Shanghaimom-Thanks for the great inspiraton board. I can't wait to go shopping!

Chispa-The velvet is commercial quality, the stuff they use in restaurants. My 2 year ran in there after his bath and got the sofa a little wet but it dried fine. That was the biggest issue with our previous sofa. They were brown microfibre and I used to sit on them with wet hair and noticed too late that the water was leaving massive stains all over the back.

Loribee-Thanks! I really like that arrangement too but it limits what else I can put in there. I'm sure I'll move it around a million times before I go shopping.

Boopadaboo-I have three kids, they are almost 7, 4 and 2. They have been warned that the moment I see someone jumping on the sofa or in their with food is the moment they will all be banned. They haven't slipped up yet and that's a record.

o

Shanghaimom...

Great inspirations...love how you pulled it all together! It can be a beautiful room. Spend less on a rug, and more on key pieces like for the tv stand, side tables, etc. I love the contemporary wood tones, mixed with other acccent pieces.

Good luck shopping Jen....show us what you find, but don't rush the process!

o

I can't stop looking at rugs. No doubt because it's getting cold in here and I need something warmer underfoot! Here's the latest.

It's cowhide. I think I might end up with a 5x8. I measured it out in the room and that size could work depending on the layout.

Lizzie-I can't rush it too much, I'm housebound and broke at the moment! I might have to combine a solid dark coffee table with lucite or glass end tables. I can't do breakable for the coffee table because it won't last long in this house.

o

Fabric....

o

OMGosh! It's TARDIS fabric! LOL!

o

ADORE the blue sofa and shanghaimom just posted a LR I would LOVE to have.

o

I like the idea of stripes for the rug .. and i love the one you shared, but I think it is too busy for your room. Your rug should be a backdrop and shouldnt compete with the patterns you already have. I am guessing a dhurrie is not warm enough for the canadian winters but that is the kind of strip I could see working.

Here's a lihk to the mirror/glass side tables at z gallerie. What I like about this is that it has a rustic and modern feel. You could always do a finish like this on a wood/glass table you purchase locally or find at a garage sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: modern country cottage style

o

Jen that's some photo you took! I think it is too dark to go behind the sofa but you could always give it a try. As I was looking at sunsets pictures last night, I realized they kind of create a "down" mood.

The Tardis fabric looks like just the right colors. I'd like to see it next to the chair, to see how the scale works. I never heard of Tardis till Angie mentioned it and I think I kind of like the fact that some people would recognize and get a laugh out of it, where others like me would just see the colors and what looks like a Herring Bone pattern.

Since learning there is a sheen on the grey chair, I am thinking some sheen would be nice on the sofa pillows. The likelihood of finding fabric with the right colors and some sheen, is pretty low, but you could add some shiny trim to whatever fabric you do choose.

I definitely prefer orange over red as an accent.

o

My husband said the same thing about sunsets.

o

Now that I see the fabric from a distance, it looks too dark to show up against the sofa.

Maybe it would be best to use some of the chair fabric to make small pillows. That would get the grey and the sheen over to the sofa. The problem is the pattern is large and small pillows do not look so great with large patterns. And large pillows with that pattern would be too much. Can you check with the store where you bought the chair and find out if they have any coordinating patterns for that chair fabric?

I would not use the cowhide rug pictured. I think you want to keep the pattern on the rug to a minimum.

o

I'm not a decorator so take this with a grain of salt. I don't think a pillow will "marry" any of the furniture. Because of the colors, putting gray on blue, and vice versa only looks contrived. Like you're trying too hard.

I would forget about pillows for now and buy an area rug. Do you not shop online? I'm rural also, and I do a lot of shopping online but always read the reviews where rugs are concerned. Our monitors never show the accurate colors of anything.

Once you get the rug which should have blues and grays, then you can start with the accessories.

I used to have a sofa in the corner like your's, and I put a table with lamp behind it. The ambience at night was just awesome! We'd also sit at the coffee table and play games.

So basically my non-decorator eye's say add no pillows for now except the sofa pillows, (leave them on the sofa) buy an area rug and start from there.

If you must marry the furniture, find a lap quilt w/blue, gray and another color. Fold it and lay over one side of the sofa.

o

Thanks for your input oakleyok. Not a lot of Canadian retailers have online shopping and shipping internationally from the U.S is frequently prohibitive.

I'm sending dh to look for rugs on Tuesday. We'll see what he brings back.

o

I agree with some of the others that you are going to have to somehow pull the sofa and chair fabrics together. I think it can be done, but it might be tricky. Listen to Funky - look at pictures and see what you find for inspiration. I just googled "blue velvet sofa" and you can look under "images" and there are some actual rooms with blue velvet sofas. Also I went to Houzz and searched for blue velvet sofas. I like the inspiration board above with a third color choice. You need that punch. I noticed on one of the google images a room that used a bright yellow as the third color. I noticed another that had several different pillows on the sofa in different fabrics - in bright colors.

I definitely think you need pillows - in some interesting colors/fabrics. I would pull in another pattern and another color. Pillows can really make a statement in a room. The rug is important too. I'm not sure who mentioned the zebra rug, but in my search I did see a room with a blue velvet sofa and a zebra rug.

Don't let rural stop you. You can buy fabrics and have pillow covers custom made, if you don't sew - or as you shared above - use Etsy. Be sure and use feather inserts - they look soooo much better. I personally would not buy a rug on-line unless I had seen it in person. See cliff and joann's post about her rug and how many she took out on loan to try in her room before coming to a decision.

Hope this helps!

tina

o

Since you have small children, would an ottoman work for you instead of a coffee table? Maybe a round one if you have enough room? I know you are rural, but maybe overstock.com or even west elm online? Just a thought... I've also seen some with storage, which is great with kids. I always like curved edges on coffee tables when you have young children, even in wood.

o

I looked on Houzz and Google images under blue sofas. I saw that some people have a lone blue sofa sitting in an otherwise completely neutral room. Other people carried the blue elsewhere in the room with a bit of it in a picture,a heavily patterned and colored rug, or one blue accessory. Still others offset the sofa with a large amount of one or more striking colors.

I also noticed that many, if not most of the rooms, did use wooden tables with grey and blue upholstered furniture.

Jen if you look through the images it might help you decide if you have a strong preference for one direction over another. Check it out and let us know which style appeals most to you.

I like the idea of a throw on the sofa. If you have a quilt or crocheted throw made, you can choose any colors or texture you want. You are unlikely to find such an item off the rack especially with your limited shopping options.

o

Btw, that red rug that you were sure you wanted, is gorgeous. On my monitor it is a much deeper red than the pillows you have. Your sunset picture was also deep colors. You seem drawn to jewel tones. I think various jewel tones set off by those pretty grey chairs would be beautiful.

I also like bright orange with the blue. Do you prefer the brighter color pallet or the deeper colors?

If you want that rug I'd try it before getting anything else for the room. Maybe get one in a brighter color too, try them both and see which option gives the room the feeling you want it to have. The darker scheme is luxurious, more formal, and has a quieting affect. The bright colors are happy,energetic,and a little more "party time".

And if you go with a colorful room option, I think the grey chair will fit in with the sofa as is.

o

You know, I really like the orange. It looks so good with the blue, but I keep coming back to that red rug and I think CIndy nailed the reason why. I don't want energetic, I want luxurious and relaxing.

I'm going to call around tomorrow and see if any of the Sears have that red rug in stock. I'll send dh to confirm the colour.

I looked at the Houzz pics and didn't really like any of them. Maybe it was the style and colours of the wood pieces but they just looked stuffy to me.

If the photo colour is accurate, then yes the pillows are definitely the wrong red, but I'm not concerned, they only cost me $5 each and I can move them to a different room, same with the orange cushions.

In regards to the coffee table, I have looked at ottomans and love the look but I'm not sure how they'd work with the board games we play.

Thanks again for everyone's input. I really appreciate it!

o

Love the couch, chair, rug & floor. Nice colors & patterns.
Follow your intuition. If the red rug is tugging at your heart, go for it!

o

Now we are getting somewhere. Oh wait, we are getting right back to your original posts where you told us you were SURE you wanted that red rug. How did we get off that track, lol?

Seriously though, knowing you want luxurious and relaxing provides some much needed direction!

o

Ugh, just called Sears and none of the locations carry area rugs. I have to order online. I'll call the online number in a couple of days to order it and see if they can give me a description of the colour. If I buy it and it's the wrong colour does that count as "store error"? If not then I have to pay for the return shipping charges.

o

Shanghaimom - what a wonderful board!

Jenangelcat - beautiful, wonderful - perfect!

o

I think Target carries the same red rug.

o

Jen,
The more I look at the red rug with your furniture pieces, the more I like it. I ordered two rugs from Sears 6 years ago, and took the one we decided not to keep to the catalog area of our Sears store...no problem returning.

o

iI think the introduction of red rug is not going to bring the disparate elements of the room together; if anythng it will further confuse the eye. From the photos you posted it looks as though the chairs are in two different fabrics. IMO this detracts from the sofa and contributes to the off-kilter feel, if you can possibly do it, i would send one of the chairs back to be recovered in the other fabric---just pick one for both chairs, Then get a rug that ties the chairs and sofa together, Perhaps you could show your pictrues to someone at the store where you ordered the furniture and they could help you pull it together, The sofa is really wonderful, and i would furnish the rest of the room to allow it to be the uncontested star of the show,

o

Love the soda!

I agree with kswl. The chairs in the 2 different fabrics is throwing the room off, mainly bc they are the same chair upholstered in 2 fabrics. If they were different chairs then It might work better. I have a navy velvet wing chair and grey sofa. I've used coral/salmon as an accent colors. Not as harsh as the orange. Also camel/ golden can also work well with both navy and grey.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

The chairs are not returnable and I'm not paying to get one refinished. I cannot justify the expense. Plus I like that they are different.

k9arlene-Unfortunately there are no targets in the province. I think they are only just moving into the country.

o

If Sears would not refund your shipping, see if you can order in the smallest size red rug they have. Are there reviews of the rug on line? If the color is off people will usually say so. I hope it is the color I see on my monitor because I think it is the red version of your sofa's blue.

o

I feel like i keep responding to your post when I am running - but i am again running out the door (to my own house with it's pile of projects and challenges!) but I wanted to make sure that I stopped back and made sure my tone didnt come across badly.

I LOVE your sofa.. and I LOVE your bookcase wall/library. I don't think the two chairs are a mistake at all-- I am confident that you'll be able to pull them together with pillows, a rug, tables.. basically, when the room is the space you want. I am not a matchy matchy person and I love fun patterns.

I didnt think the red rug would work because it is primary on primary -- and in the interest of full disclosure, I have a "thing" about red. I use it only in small bits in my own home because it's not a relaxing color for me. Of course, we're viewing your home lol... That said, you love the rug and after looking at your mockup, I think it is a bold and stunning look.

I really hope you are loving the sofa and not getting stressed with the pillows and rug. Also, when I look at houzz and blogs and google images, I very often pull things I love out of a room -- whether I love the room or not. I may hate the look-- or say, that's too formal for me-- but i may take away an idea for what to do on a mantelscape or how to hang photos.. or what accent color works. I also use them to remind myself of the colors that really set a tone in a room... so don't worry if you didnt see a whole room that you loved, but I do think the exercise of looking at rooms and noting what you like/don't is helpful (either that or its my justification for staying up too late or putting off laundry).

Enjoy-- can't wait to see the rug in your room!!

o

No reviews online for it. I hope it's that colour. If not, hubby is a smooth talker with a British accent. If anyone can talk themselves out of a return fee, then it would be him!

o

Thanks Funkyart. I'm definitely not stressing over the room. It's a pleasant distraction from the real stresses in my life.

Here's a pic with some things that I like. They may not necessarily work with this particular room.

o

So many good ideas here. I keep scrolling back to your pix to try and figure out what color the drapes are. Do you have two different colors on the windows? Maybe that's just the light. The curtains are really getting lost against the pale blue walls.

My first reaction to the deep pink/red rug was that it was too dark, too uniform a color. PLUS if you go with that rug you will limit your choices in the future for changing things with accessories. If you get a rug that ties in with the greys and blues then you can always switch that third color in and out according to your seasons, trends, etc. You could do lemon yellow, grassy greens, even plums. But it you do that deep magenta rug I think it's game over. You're locked in a bit.

That patchwork type grey rug isn't the one either. You've already got variation in the chair upholstery and sofa upholstery. I'd keep the interest in the room higher than the floor. Once you have a rug with that much pattern it tends to draw the eye down, makes the room feel less tall somehow than when the eye is drawn up.

I really like the idea of a deep slate/grey rug with a longer pile. I've seen room size rugs like that online for between $300 - $400. Also, if you have kids, you might be better off staying towards the lower end of your budget for the rug. Then, if it takes a beating, you won't feel you have to hang on to it forever.

The one thing no one mentioned (if it is mentioned and I missed it, I apologize) is that wall color. Maybe it's not accurate on my monitor. You may have just painted it, in which case this may be the last thing you want to hear, and I think it's the same thru the first floor, but my first impression was that it was too light, too cool, just too mild for the deep saturated (gorgeous) blue of that statement sofa. This room could use more drama.

Maybe the place to add the pattern is not the floor, but the windows? What if you found that fabric that marries the blues and greys but has at least one more color and make some plain unlined panels? If you found something more vibrant maybe that pale blue wall wouldn't seem so blah. I am not the greatest seamstress but straight gathered rod pocket panels are pretty easy. There are probably videos on line to show you how. I agree with people who say buy fabric, not ready mades. You just get lots more choices. Even if you have to GLUE the selvages and hem with tape (which is okay, I won't tell and no one will notice).

One more thing in the room that's "fighting" imo is that piece of molding above your bookshelves. It's kind of off for the sleek glamorous thing you've started. Did you ever think of replacing it? I would just put a piece of crown straight across. It doesn't look like you have crown elsewhere. You could just get a length of molding from the hardware store and smack it in there. No mitering necessary. If you want to go further, have the whole room done. As you mentioned though that the budget is an issue right now, I'd just do the simplest thing. I don't think a length of molding for that section could be more than $20.

Also, did you ever think of smacking strips of molding across the fronts of the shelves? That's more 3 - 4 foot strips, no mitering again. You can get a kind of molding with a lip that hangs over the edge and gives it a more custom look. It will build the shelves up and give them more heft, which the room could use.

Another thing I could see in here would be wallpaper or another paint color in the backs of the shelves. If you wanted intense color, that would be an inexpensive way to get something really trendy into the room colorwise for next to nothing and you wouldn't be locked in -- just switch to something else when you tire of it.

I don't know if you (or anyone) needs a barcart (and I certainly don't think you should really have liquor bottles out, esp. with little kids around, but for some reason I can really see a beautiful bar cart in this room...

o

Jenangelcat, sorry, I didn't realize it was hard to ship internationally.

This is how sharp my eye's are. I didn't notice the chairs were different! lol.

I do think once you get your rug everything will flow smoothly for you.

Also, there's something about your room that makes me want to be there when it snows. Love it!

o

Judith-

One set is silvery grey (only a month old) and the other is blue. The blue is geting switched out for another silvery grey because they are too short. I'm fine with them being lost in the walls.

I'm actually not too concerned about the rug. There aren't really any other colours I'd put with blue and I don't plan on buying another sofa for at least 10 years so the red will be fine, if it works of course. My backup choice is a grey kashmir shag. It's a special order though and would take a month or so to arrive. Something about that red just really knocks me out. I'm hoping it works.

The walls are freshly painted and a medium grey. The do show a bit blue in certain lighting. The original colour can be seen behind the bookshelves. It was almost a baby blue and was painted that colour 2 years ago. I intended it to be the current colour but obviously picked the wrong paint. I'm not willing to repaint because I love the colour but I'd certainly think about stencilling or use those stick on things to put a pattern on the wall.

I agree on the bookshelf moulding but I feel guilty about it. Dh made it and we had something planned for that circle piece. When I mentioned changing it, hubby sighed and said whatever I want. But obviously it's not what he wants. As for the shelves, would I just do the actual shelves or the vertical pieces as well?

It's funny that you mentioned bar carts because I saw one in a flyer recently and thought how nice it would look in the living room.

Oakleyok-I will admit to letting Christmas and winter slightly influence my choices in this room. Christmas is my favourite holiday and I was just saying to dh how I might have to go shopping on his next trip back later this month so that the room can be finished by December. In time to lay on the sofa in a silk dressing gown, drinking hot chocolate and reading Christmas novels under the blinking lights of the tree!

We're also hoping to replace our badly position wood stove (it's in the kitchen). My choice for location is on the wall the bookcase is on but in the adjoining room. You would be able to see it from the couch.

o

Have you seen this photo? It reminded me a lot of your room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue sofa, red rug

o

Have you seen this room? 9th photo down

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Sofa, Red Rug, Gold Accessories

o

A girl after my own heart! You need my white Christmas tree. lol. White tree, silver accents..I'd never leave your room! :)

I know what it is now, your room reminds me of snow at dusk, when it gets that beautiful blue hue outside.

o

Geokid-I like the table in that room, big and square but not solid. I'm also thinking I might test some ottomans, poufs or a bench on the other side of the coffee table for more seating.

Cindy- Like the lucite but the style of chair. I also like how the curtains blend in but not feeling the busy rug. I've thought about doing a double table like that but I need a solid one for games. I wish I had a fireplace in the living room. Crown moulding is on our to do list. Hubby hates doing it so he keeps putting it off.

The rug in both rooms is, like my cushions, the wrong red. I really think it needs that deeper red to go with such a deep blue like someone pointed out earlier.

Oakleyok- Now you've got me thinking. How are these photos for inspiration.

o

Jenangelcat, the room Cindy was referring to was the Kenneth Brown living room. It didn't have any lucite or double table. You should look again. It would be a lovely inspiration for your room.

o

Beautiful. You have the makings for it already. The white pieces you have above the doorway looks great there.

Now, if it were my room, lol, I'd add some mercury glass & more silver accent pieces. You have the silver (gray) in your chairs already. I would also add a silver tray with a glass top somewhere in the room. You can get nice ones at low prices.

Look at this bottle brush tree arrangement on a silver tray. I've seen them done with light blue trees mixed with the white trees. I'm going make this for my sofa table. But I think using blue and white trees would be perfect in my, I mean your, room. LOL

Photobucket

o

k9arlene-my responses we're mixed up between the two photos.

Oakleyok- I was searching Kjiji (like craigslist) for mercury glass the other day. Still searching.

o

Jen what I wanted you to see in the Kenneth Brown room, was that the room was done in jewel tones.

I have seen so many pictures where the room has a blue sofa and nothing at all to tie it in to the rest of the room. I think the sofa looks horribly out of place in those rooms.

So what I'm trying to figure out is how you plan to tie your sofa color into this room. I think you really have to decide on a color scheme before you go any further.

If you use the red rug I think you either have to go with a red/blue scheme or a jewel tone scheme.

Apparently you are also open to the blue and silver option.

These are three very different looks. Which one do you want? Btw, although the traditional jewel tone scheme involves primary colors, an unusual third color would lend a modern twist.

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Jewel Scheme

o

Well I'm definitely settled on that red with the blue. Does silver count as a third colour?

o

Jena, Tuesday Morning has a few 'faux' mercury glass items. They look like the real deal, not just a metallic silver color. ;o)

o

No, silver does not count as a color. But if you only want two colors with a lot of silver accessories, that will work.

o

I think I might be the most fickle person on the planet. I'm back to be undecided on the rug.

Here's the various choices. Notice that I had to paste on a pic of the patterned chair because it was the only way to get it the right colour without darkening the sofa.

o

I think you're drawn to the red...go with your gut. I don't like choice # 3. You can put art up to enhance the red...

o

I'm liking #4!

o

Lizzie-My gut is unreliable! It's currently telling me not go with the red.

k9arlene-I'm feeling number 4 as well. I just put down my old rug to keep the furniture from moving and I remember how often I was vacuuming it (2-3 times a day) because it did little to hide dirt. Now I'm thinking I'm going to have the same issue with the red.

Here's the old rug for the hell of it. Wrong colour but it's so nice having a rug in there again.

So despite being set on red, I think I'm going to make it easy on myself and just stick with blue, grey and silver.

o

Lizzie-My gut is unreliable! It's currently telling me not go with the red.

k9arlene-I'm feeling number 4 as well. I just put down my old rug to keep the furniture from moving and I remember how often I was vacuuming it (2-3 times a day) because it did little to hide dirt. Now I'm thinking I'm going to have the same issue with the red.

Here's the old rug for the hell of it. Wrong colour but it's so nice having a rug in there again.

So despite being set on red, I think I'm going to make it easy on myself and just stick with blue, grey and silver.

o

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Deco-Inspired-Dark-Grey-Light-Grey-Rug-8-x-10/6565595/product.html

What does anyone think of this one? Not sure if it works, but I like it.

o

I like it but the white would be risky with the kids.

o

Just playing around with mixing patterns. Hope you don't mind! It will give food for thought about what you can do to tie in the sofa and the chairs on a neutral background.

o

I knew the red would show everything but I assumed you knew it were prepared to deal with it, lol.

Personally I would not want a room done in a red and blue color scheme, but you seemed to like it.

I like the rug in 2 and 4 better than number 3. But are you dead set against a colorful pattern like Angie posted?

Either your proposed completely neutral room or the colorful rug would allow you to easily change your accent color. The room would be much more versatile than if you had the red rug.

I've searched Sears for a rug for you and I see your problem. There is nothing that is just right. Have you considered a very low pile mix of greys that would allow you to put a smaller rug with a splash of color and texture on top?

o
Btw...

I think you are really missing out by limiting your carpet search to Sears and Home Depot. There has to be a carpet store in your area. You should really check out what they have (considering having something bound) before you make a rug decision.

o

Angie- I like your mock up but it's not really my style. It has made me reconsider the wood issue. I didn't think wood would work with that blue but it certainly works in your picture.

Cindy-I think I am looking for a non-patterned rug. I'll likely end up with one of those thick grey ones and just add colour elsewhere.

o

Angie...where is that rug from? I love it! Thanks....

o

Never mind, Angie...I found it!

o

Is there a reason you aren't going for a very traditional rug design? How do you feel about rusty orange? I think the reds you've been playing with are too blue in tone. Here's a good candidate from Overstock:

Here is a link that might be useful: Persian Rust Navy rug

o

When I look at your room, I'm feeling a vintage Oriental - or similar - that's a little "shabby" to tie together all your beautiful elements. The trouble with new rugs is that we match them (I did it myself in my dining room) rather than treating a rug like art that complements, but doesn't necessarily match, the sofa.

Old Orientals wear like iron and hide a multitude of sins. I somehow feel like these new rugs are trying too hard and not quite getting you where you want to be. Even in a modern room, an old good rug is *right*.

Love your choices with the sofa and chairs. Don't rush the rug just to get something on the floor. I can't find a rug that i like in my navy blue/orange living room, so for now I am just throwing down an old seagrass I have and tossing a cowhide on top of it. The right rug will show itself eventually.

o

I am just a bystander (home due to Sandy and fortunate enought to have power AND internet) enjoying this thread. I really like the rug circuspeanut linked to but it says it is out of stock. Anyway I am enjoying this evolution and think that couch is SUPERB.

o

I am just a bystander (home due to Sandy and fortunate enought to have power AND internet) enjoying this thread. I really like the rug circuspeanut linked to but it says it is out of stock. Anyway I am enjoying this evolution and think that couch is SUPERB.

o

Circuspeanut-I really don't like traditional rugs. Which is why I haven't considered them.

Cindy-Went to the rug store that's within an hour's drive and there was a shag rug like number four for $800 (5x8) and a wool low pile grey with circles carved in it. It was $1000. Completely out of budget.

I went to Home Depot to look at their samples of special order rugs. The hide rug was not good. It looked fine but it's really thin and hard. Number 2 wasn't very grey. Number 4 was fabulous. It feels lovely, really silky and there's a bit of black in it which doesn't show in the photo. It's almost shiny. It's so lovely. $199 for the 5x8.

In other news I bought to end tables and two lamps with red shades. The new purchases look fab with the sofa. Had no luck with a coffee table, bar cart or tv stand and I still cannot find a suitable blue and grey fabric. Hopefully I'll find something in Halifax!

o

Not sure if you have a closing Zellers near you but the one near us has mercury glass items on sale for 50% off.

o

Jen did you look at the wall to wall carpet samples at your store? There are lots of beautiful wall to wall carpets available and you can easily have them bound to make an area rug. I'm sure you can do this and stay within your price range.

It sounds like you've decided to use red as an accent color. Can we see the new tables and lamps?

o

Here are the closeups of the tables and lamps.

o

And the room (ignore the rug).

o

Oooh, let the sparkling begin! Hey, are those blue and grey pillows? I like them!

o

They could be blue if you want them to be...lol. They are grey, silver and a colour that is either shiny blue or black. It's hard to tell. I choose to see blue.

o

Close enough then. It's going to be hard to find your blue mixed with grey. We've both searched and it does not appear to be out there, lol.

o

Jen, I LOVE everything you've done. Why do you have the furniture squished so close to the archway and why isn't the sofa on a straight wall?

o

It's the only spot where we can have a decent shot at seeing the tv. There is no flat wall without a window. I can put the sofa in front of a window but then the only place for the tv is either in front of the double doors or the archway.

I've moved the furniture around to all possible positions and this in the only one that feels right. It looks fine from the room next to it as well. My only issue is what to do with the wall space behind the sofa.

I'm hoping to find some low seating for the other side of the coffee table. A bench, ottomans or poufs.

Here's the current layout with a coffee table and the right sized rug inserted. I'd like a bar cart in the empty corner. The tv is the box near the bookshelves.

o

So two double doorways, a double window, and a single window?

o

Yup. It's a really frustrating layout. It's about 16x16 and 4 inches Techinically there's another foot there with the bookcases.

o

You could maybe do a screen behind the sofa...or a table with some family pics or a plant and maybe incorporate some of your art on the walls, so that it's kind of a vignette in that area. You could do a floor plant, but not sure that goes with your look. You could even have your art scale up the walls, using similar frames to unite it all....that's all I got!!

o

What is the traffic pattern in the room? The French doors look like they swing out into your foyer? Is the room with the computer in it actually a dining room or is THAT your front entrance? When you come and go from the living room, which of the doorways do you use?

o

The doors swing into the foyer. We don't use that entrance or the second floor at the moment. The room with the computer is a homeschool space, it connects to the bathroom, the bedroom we're using now and the kitchen/sunroom. The entrance is on the other side of the kitchen.

At some point I want to switch the main entrance to where it should be, which is that foyer.

o

Been following along and you've made great choices so far. I understand your shopping frustrations because we have to travel to Halifax in order to have variety too.

I think I would back the sofa on the wall with the single window. It looks crammed into the corner and overlapping the doorway. I don't mind the chair with its back to the opening but the table placement is odd. Love the tables by the way.

o

I'll start switching furniture around in a bit. Hubby is home so I can get his opinion as well.

o

Love watching the progression as you finish your room. New tables are awesome. Can't wait to see what you do next.

o

Your new sofa is just lovely. I have an idea that would free up your layout options. I'm not sure if it's feasible, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Can you remove/reposition you bookcase shelves? If so, and if they are deep enough, you could house your TV in a bookcase. You would probably need to router out a space for the cords in the back of the shelves and angle the TV slightly for better viewing. You could hide the cords behind shallow baskets on lower shelves, or find or make doors for the lower shelves, or use material shirred on a spring rod. Whatever the solution to hide the cords, I would just keep it symmetrical by using the same treatment on both sides of the bookcase. You'd also need to tuck an extension cord along the baseboard to the nearest outlet, unless the idea really works for you and you want to put an outlet in the bookcase.

o

The Red House-We probably could hack a couple of shelves out but I don't want to ruin the symmetry of the unit. Besides the tv would then be flat against the wall and more difficult to see. I think it'll will probably be fine in the location it's currently in (in the layout). I just need a lower cabinet with doors for it.

Here's the new ceiling light.

o

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

That's more like it. Looks terrific!

o

The furniture looks so much better when it is spread across the entire room. BUT, now you don't have the TV directly opposite the sofa, which I suspect is one of your goals.

If you don't use the French doors, why not reverse the current arrangement and float the sofa in front of the doors with the TV directly across the room on the window wall?

I always prefer to have the furniture facing the entrance to the room if possible, as your latest arrangement does. But I also prefer having the TV directly across from where I am most likely to be sitting, lol. Reversing the arrangement prioritizes the function over form.

The other option, since you don't use the French doors, is to put the TV right in front of them so that it is directly opposite the current sofa position. If you don't use them, you may as well treat them as a solid wall. Treating those doors as a wall will give you many more options for the room.

o

If the new television stand had casters, you could easily move it as needed and then push it back in the corner when finished.

o

Btw, loving the chandelier!

o

We have to start renoing the upstairs by next summer so we will eventually be using that door. Also the nearest outlet is between the patterned chair and the sofa which is quite far from the tv as it is.

We sat in there this afternoon and watched a movie with the kids. It was fine. The person in the patterned chair would either have to turn a little or turn the chair and they are light enough to not make it an issue. I'm hoping to find a small tv stand that is pretty close to the ground. I think it will be fine in the corner. Like k9arlene said, casters will make it easy to move it if I need to.

I can't flip the furniture around because I have issues (phobias) regarding beam stability and even though we levelled the floor quite a bit, it still dips slightly toward the doors. It freaks me out even though logically I know it's fine. There's no way I'd be able to sit on the sofa with it so close to where I imagine the house will collapse from.

The more furniture I put in, the more bare the walls look. I can't wait to start shopping for art!

I want to thank everyone again for the input. It's been a really big help.

o

jen, I'm in (very rural) Alberta so I know about limited shopping. A good Canadian source for fabric is Tonic Living (www.tonicliving.com). Also, I've ordered from fabric.com and shipping is reasonable -- and I got lucky that my parcel (three yards) didn't get hit with duty. Also try ebay.

I've also had good luck, with reasonable shipping prices, and duty sorted out ahead of time, with Pottery Barn, JC Penney, etc. A lot of US companies are now shipping to Canada for reasonable fees, and between the good exchange rate and better quality than I can find locally, it's worth it.

Lovely room, have fun finishing it, and thanks for letting us play along!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here