Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenangelcat_gw

Blue Velvet Sofa

jenangelcat
11 years ago

I've never been so excited for a furniture delivery before. I ordered custom fabric for a new sofa and two chairs 9 weeks ago and they are finally being delivered today.

At this point I can barely remember what the sofa looked like and I have no idea how it'll look with the blue velvet.

I'll post photos as soon they arrive!

Comments (125)

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well I'm definitely settled on that red with the blue. Does silver count as a third colour?

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Jena, Tuesday Morning has a few 'faux' mercury glass items. They look like the real deal, not just a metallic silver color. ;o)

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

No, silver does not count as a color. But if you only want two colors with a lot of silver accessories, that will work.

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I might be the most fickle person on the planet. I'm back to be undecided on the rug.

Here's the various choices. Notice that I had to paste on a pic of the patterned chair because it was the only way to get it the right colour without darkening the sofa.

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

I think you're drawn to the red...go with your gut. I don't like choice # 3. You can put art up to enhance the red...

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

I'm liking #4!

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lizzie-My gut is unreliable! It's currently telling me not go with the red.

k9arlene-I'm feeling number 4 as well. I just put down my old rug to keep the furniture from moving and I remember how often I was vacuuming it (2-3 times a day) because it did little to hide dirt. Now I'm thinking I'm going to have the same issue with the red.

Here's the old rug for the hell of it. Wrong colour but it's so nice having a rug in there again.

So despite being set on red, I think I'm going to make it easy on myself and just stick with blue, grey and silver.

{{gwi:1833002}}

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Deco-Inspired-Dark-Grey-Light-Grey-Rug-8-x-10/6565595/product.html

What does anyone think of this one? Not sure if it works, but I like it.

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like it but the white would be risky with the kids.

• angiedfw
    11 years ago

Just playing around with mixing patterns. Hope you don't mind! It will give food for thought about what you can do to tie in the sofa and the chairs on a neutral background.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

I knew the red would show everything but I assumed you knew it were prepared to deal with it, lol.

Personally I would not want a room done in a red and blue color scheme, but you seemed to like it.

I like the rug in 2 and 4 better than number 3. But are you dead set against a colorful pattern like Angie posted?

Either your proposed completely neutral room or the colorful rug would allow you to easily change your accent color. The room would be much more versatile than if you had the red rug.

I've searched Sears for a rug for you and I see your problem. There is nothing that is just right. Have you considered a very low pile mix of greys that would allow you to put a smaller rug with a splash of color and texture on top?

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

I think you are really missing out by limiting your carpet search to Sears and Home Depot. There has to be a carpet store in your area. You should really check out what they have (considering having something bound) before you make a rug decision.

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Angie- I like your mock up but it's not really my style. It has made me reconsider the wood issue. I didn't think wood would work with that blue but it certainly works in your picture.

Cindy-I think I am looking for a non-patterned rug. I'll likely end up with one of those thick grey ones and just add colour elsewhere.

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

Angie...where is that rug from? I love it! Thanks....

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

Never mind, Angie...I found it!

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

Is there a reason you aren't going for a very traditional rug design? How do you feel about rusty orange? I think the reds you've been playing with are too blue in tone. Here's a good candidate from Overstock:

Here is a link that might be useful: Persian Rust Navy rug

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

When I look at your room, I'm feeling a vintage Oriental - or similar - that's a little "shabby" to tie together all your beautiful elements. The trouble with new rugs is that we match them (I did it myself in my dining room) rather than treating a rug like art that complements, but doesn't necessarily match, the sofa.

Old Orientals wear like iron and hide a multitude of sins. I somehow feel like these new rugs are trying too hard and not quite getting you where you want to be. Even in a modern room, an old good rug is *right*.

Love your choices with the sofa and chairs. Don't rush the rug just to get something on the floor. I can't find a rug that i like in my navy blue/orange living room, so for now I am just throwing down an old seagrass I have and tossing a cowhide on top of it. The right rug will show itself eventually.

• User
    11 years ago

I am just a bystander (home due to Sandy and fortunate enought to have power AND internet) enjoying this thread. I really like the rug circuspeanut linked to but it says it is out of stock. Anyway I am enjoying this evolution and think that couch is SUPERB.

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Circuspeanut-I really don't like traditional rugs. Which is why I haven't considered them.

Cindy-Went to the rug store that's within an hour's drive and there was a shag rug like number four for $800 (5x8) and a wool low pile grey with circles carved in it. It was $1000. Completely out of budget.

I went to Home Depot to look at their samples of special order rugs. The hide rug was not good. It looked fine but it's really thin and hard. Number 2 wasn't very grey. Number 4 was fabulous. It feels lovely, really silky and there's a bit of black in it which doesn't show in the photo. It's almost shiny. It's so lovely. $199 for the 5x8.

In other news I bought to end tables and two lamps with red shades. The new purchases look fab with the sofa. Had no luck with a coffee table, bar cart or tv stand and I still cannot find a suitable blue and grey fabric. Hopefully I'll find something in Halifax!

• User
    11 years ago

Not sure if you have a closing Zellers near you but the one near us has mercury glass items on sale for 50% off.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Jen did you look at the wall to wall carpet samples at your store? There are lots of beautiful wall to wall carpets available and you can easily have them bound to make an area rug. I'm sure you can do this and stay within your price range.

It sounds like you've decided to use red as an accent color. Can we see the new tables and lamps?

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are the closeups of the tables and lamps.

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And the room (ignore the rug).

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Oooh, let the sparkling begin! Hey, are those blue and grey pillows? I like them!

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They could be blue if you want them to be...lol. They are grey, silver and a colour that is either shiny blue or black. It's hard to tell. I choose to see blue.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Close enough then. It's going to be hard to find your blue mixed with grey. We've both searched and it does not appear to be out there, lol.

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

Jen, I LOVE everything you've done. Why do you have the furniture squished so close to the archway and why isn't the sofa on a straight wall?

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's the only spot where we can have a decent shot at seeing the tv. There is no flat wall without a window. I can put the sofa in front of a window but then the only place for the tv is either in front of the double doors or the archway.

I've moved the furniture around to all possible positions and this in the only one that feels right. It looks fine from the room next to it as well. My only issue is what to do with the wall space behind the sofa.

I'm hoping to find some low seating for the other side of the coffee table. A bench, ottomans or poufs.

Here's the current layout with a coffee table and the right sized rug inserted. I'd like a bar cart in the empty corner. The tv is the box near the bookshelves.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

So two double doorways, a double window, and a single window?

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yup. It's a really frustrating layout. It's about 16x16 and 4 inches Techinically there's another foot there with the bookcases.

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

You could maybe do a screen behind the sofa...or a table with some family pics or a plant and maybe incorporate some of your art on the walls, so that it's kind of a vignette in that area. You could do a floor plant, but not sure that goes with your look. You could even have your art scale up the walls, using similar frames to unite it all....that's all I got!!

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

What is the traffic pattern in the room? The French doors look like they swing out into your foyer? Is the room with the computer in it actually a dining room or is THAT your front entrance? When you come and go from the living room, which of the doorways do you use?

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The doors swing into the foyer. We don't use that entrance or the second floor at the moment. The room with the computer is a homeschool space, it connects to the bathroom, the bedroom we're using now and the kitchen/sunroom. The entrance is on the other side of the kitchen.

At some point I want to switch the main entrance to where it should be, which is that foyer.

• ctlane
    11 years ago

Been following along and you've made great choices so far. I understand your shopping frustrations because we have to travel to Halifax in order to have variety too.

I think I would back the sofa on the wall with the single window. It looks crammed into the corner and overlapping the doorway. I don't mind the chair with its back to the opening but the table placement is odd. Love the tables by the way.

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll start switching furniture around in a bit. Hubby is home so I can get his opinion as well.

• User
    11 years ago

Love watching the progression as you finish your room. New tables are awesome. Can't wait to see what you do next.

• TheRedHouse
    11 years ago

Your new sofa is just lovely. I have an idea that would free up your layout options. I'm not sure if it's feasible, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Can you remove/reposition you bookcase shelves? If so, and if they are deep enough, you could house your TV in a bookcase. You would probably need to router out a space for the cords in the back of the shelves and angle the TV slightly for better viewing. You could hide the cords behind shallow baskets on lower shelves, or find or make doors for the lower shelves, or use material shirred on a spring rod. Whatever the solution to hide the cords, I would just keep it symmetrical by using the same treatment on both sides of the bookcase. You'd also need to tuck an extension cord along the baseboard to the nearest outlet, unless the idea really works for you and you want to put an outlet in the bookcase.

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Red House-We probably could hack a couple of shelves out but I don't want to ruin the symmetry of the unit. Besides the tv would then be flat against the wall and more difficult to see. I think it'll will probably be fine in the location it's currently in (in the layout). I just need a lower cabinet with doors for it.

Here's the new ceiling light.

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

That's more like it. Looks terrific!

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

The furniture looks so much better when it is spread across the entire room. BUT, now you don't have the TV directly opposite the sofa, which I suspect is one of your goals.

If you don't use the French doors, why not reverse the current arrangement and float the sofa in front of the doors with the TV directly across the room on the window wall?

I always prefer to have the furniture facing the entrance to the room if possible, as your latest arrangement does. But I also prefer having the TV directly across from where I am most likely to be sitting, lol. Reversing the arrangement prioritizes the function over form.

The other option, since you don't use the French doors, is to put the TV right in front of them so that it is directly opposite the current sofa position. If you don't use them, you may as well treat them as a solid wall. Treating those doors as a wall will give you many more options for the room.

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

If the new television stand had casters, you could easily move it as needed and then push it back in the corner when finished.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Btw, loving the chandelier!

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We have to start renoing the upstairs by next summer so we will eventually be using that door. Also the nearest outlet is between the patterned chair and the sofa which is quite far from the tv as it is.

We sat in there this afternoon and watched a movie with the kids. It was fine. The person in the patterned chair would either have to turn a little or turn the chair and they are light enough to not make it an issue. I'm hoping to find a small tv stand that is pretty close to the ground. I think it will be fine in the corner. Like k9arlene said, casters will make it easy to move it if I need to.

I can't flip the furniture around because I have issues (phobias) regarding beam stability and even though we levelled the floor quite a bit, it still dips slightly toward the doors. It freaks me out even though logically I know it's fine. There's no way I'd be able to sit on the sofa with it so close to where I imagine the house will collapse from.

The more furniture I put in, the more bare the walls look. I can't wait to start shopping for art!

I want to thank everyone again for the input. It's been a really big help.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    11 years ago

jen, I'm in (very rural) Alberta so I know about limited shopping. A good Canadian source for fabric is Tonic Living (www.tonicliving.com). Also, I've ordered from fabric.com and shipping is reasonable -- and I got lucky that my parcel (three yards) didn't get hit with duty. Also try ebay.

I've also had good luck, with reasonable shipping prices, and duty sorted out ahead of time, with Pottery Barn, JC Penney, etc. A lot of US companies are now shipping to Canada for reasonable fees, and between the good exchange rate and better quality than I can find locally, it's worth it.

Lovely room, have fun finishing it, and thanks for letting us play along!

• jennik6
    7 years ago

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE YOU PURCHASED THE NAVY VELVET CHAIR WITH THE GOLD NAILHEAD! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT AND CANNOT FIND IT ANYWHERE.

• User
    7 years ago

@jennik6 - If she doesn't have source info on her blog (see her entry upthread after the first photo), Rowe makes one (Rockford) that looks very similar. Their fabric choices are limited though. Here's a link:

Rockford Sofa by Rowe.

• jennik6
    7 years ago

I was inquiring about the CHAIR.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You may be able to reach the poster through her blog, where you can enter your email address on the right side of the home page, but her last post to it was in January 2014. http://littlehomesteadinthevalley.blogspot.com/

Ballard Designs has a very similar chair called the Thurston Wing Chair, which is available in 'Signature Velvet' in 'Ink' and you can choose the leg stain color, and the hand tacked brass nail head trim is included. You can also supply your own fabric if you prefer. http://www.ballarddesigns.com/thurston-wing-chair-with-antique-brass-nailheads/12471

• User
    7 years ago

Sorry, that chair was not on my radar, just NAVY VELVET and GOLD NAILHEADS. The navy chair isn't the OP's. Send a shoutout to pps7.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County