Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

Oldryder, does this seem OK in your opinion - marble vanity top?

I'm linking a cross post from Bathrooms below.

Both the sink/faucet and the piece of marble are from Craigslist, 7 months apart. I see no cracks in the older piece of marble, which the seller had for approx. 30 years. NOTE - photos of the actual sink and faucet are in link below - this is a stock picture.

This IS my piece of marble, pic from the seller's ad -

I'm hoping to change out the top on this powder room vanity that I made from an old bureau for a while . The piece of marble is larger than I need by several inches in both directions.

Also, in your opinion, do I have a chance of finding a fabricator who will work with my stone? I'm in southern Maine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Is 3/4

Comments (14)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

My3, Your bathroom is lovely, just charming. The sink and faucet set is beautiful. I do think that you need contrast to really make it stand out. Could you find a lovely green granite like shown in the stock photo? I think the light marble would look ok but a contrast will be so much more effective.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

My3, I am so sorry. I shouldn't have commented until Oldryder saw it. I will try to look throughout the day and bump it up.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

holly-kay, don't you worry about a thing! I have not been able to find a piece of marble like that in the yards I have visited, and I agree it is stunning.

This is a different style sink with the same design in the link below. I did see some Imperial Danby marble which is similar to this very near where I live, as I trudged around with my faucet handle last year. It looked gorgeous with it as it pulled out the brown crackles in the sink and faucet, but the price was astronomical, even for a remnant.

Even though this is very neutral, which is not usually me, I like the bits of brown it has in it, to go with the crackles. I'm limiting myself with just the colors in the sink, and thought maybe a more neutral top would be OK. How do you think they go? :-) The top insert is taped into the handle so I don't lose it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fables & Flowers

• User
    9 years ago

my3dogs, JMO, but I really like the marble you found with your sink & handles. I think it will highlight those beautiful fixtures.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Ohhh it really looks great! You are right that the crackles pick up the brown in the marble. It is going to be gorgeous!!!!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Bumping. Hopefully Oldryder will see this.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

They look awesome together!!!

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I've always loved your bathroom! I think the marble will be a lovely contrast for your antique pine dresser.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

My two cents--I personally think the lighter marble is better. The handles, in particular, seem to get eaten up with the dark marble. What a beautiful sink! How come I can't find things like that on Craigslist!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

You're in Maine? Isn't Bill Vincent from that area? He was a regular on GardenWeb forever. He's in Bridgton, ME. Maybe he can tell you who is in your area. Or maybe he could do it? His posts are still around on the Bathrooms forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: here's a way to contact him

• User
    9 years ago

What a great sink! My4dogs, you never cease to amaze me with your finds!

• melsouth
    9 years ago

I was going to say what kswl said--what a find!
    So interesting and beautiful!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, thank-you, all!

That sink was quite a find, as it is listed for over 2k, and the faucet would have cost close to that. Just the oval inserts for the handle tops are $294.10 on Amazon. I paid $150 for it all in an inexpensive white vanity with a bright red top. A friend helped me get it all apart and I have been searching for a piece of marble ever since.

An update from Thursday is that I got a call back from a fabricator about 7 miles away, and he said he'd be happy to work with my stone. I sent him pics of all the pieces and am waiting to hear back from him. I'm in no hurry, but some day, I hope to show pics of that sink in the powder room above.

Of course this is a snow ball effect, and I'm lucky to have found the major pieces for great prices, as now I need to swap to brass hardware. I also want to keep the current sink and granite top for a day I may want to swap back to that. Where and how to store it will be fun...

rob333, Thank-you SO much for that contact info. I wracked my brain for days trying to think of the name I had read about of the man in Maine. Had I not heard from someone, I wanted to contact Bill. Who knows, I may still need to, and I'm glad to have that info.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

" I also want to keep the current sink and granite top for a day I may want to swap back to that,". Oh, ha ha ha ha ha!!! Only when you must remove it if you ever decide to move from your perfect home by the little river.....
    .........and ha ha ha to that as well!!
    I have lusted for that sink forever. Change your gw name to "we3dogs", you being the other, the LUCKY dog of the family!
    Enjoy it, it's well deserved.
    :) marti