Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Did I do good?

Annie Deighnaugh
11 years ago

I've been wanting small matching benches for the foot of the twin beds in the guest room for a long time. Not only is it an obvious place to put luggage, but it also gives an opportunity for a conversation cluster with the seating on the other side of the room. I've always liked the x type benches, but they were always much more $$ than I wanted to spend.

Yesterday we went to hotel liquidators as I'm also looking for bedside tables. Didn't find any of those I wanted, but I did find these, $75 each. They're from the Palace hotel in NY. They're in really good shape. Did I do good?

Comments (42)

• swimmer22
    11 years ago

Yes-- I like them and such a great price at $75/each.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

bravo!

I would reupholster them, though, no? Shouldn't be too hard.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I love them! The scale and simplicity are just right for your room.
    They'd look even better reupholstered, with slightly softer corners, don't you think?
    I've been looking for something similar myself, and the old French and Italian ones are out of my range. Does one have to go to this place to buy things, or can it be done remotely?

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Awesome! Not only do they look terrific (the whole room looks so welcoming and pretty!), but bargains always make me smile, especially when they are as nice as yours!

• awm03
    11 years ago

Fabulous! Good eye, AnnieD!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

they are in CT, but it looks like you can buy online

Here is a link that might be useful: here ya go

• caminnc
    11 years ago

I think they are fantastic but I agree with mtnrdredux, a great fabric would put them in a whole different category.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone...I thought they went well with my $25 headboards!

I thought about reupholstering them, but they'll have to stay this way for awhile...I have overnight guests coming in a week and need the room to be together.

What fabric would you suggest for reupholstering? I would like it to be something durable so guests won't mind putting luggage on it. A solid? print? I've already got a lot of patterns going on in the room.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I like the shape of those. They look perfect for opening a small bag and for sitting to put on socks and shoes.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

I think it has to be light but durable, like a cream cotton duck.

I'm pretty sure this is almost a fold and staple job, so I would forego durability for looks since it will be so easy to redo?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hah! Here's the bench in the hotel...looks like they used it in the bathroom.

{{!gwi}}

Um....i think I'll use extra care when cleaning off that vinyl!

They also had a few of these night stands, round tables and club chairs there.
    {{!gwi}}

I was stunned at the number and selection of large framed mirrors for only $50 and they also had some framed artwork for cheap.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Re mirrors -- I noticed that on the site, and i've noticed it about mirrors second-hand generally. I suppose mirrors have a heavy trend element. Eg, everyone wants sunburst now, maybe 10 years ago it was the ones that looked like windows, etc.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I would probably do them in vinyl again, or Ultrasuede-- since people are going to be putting suitcases on them. Probably light blue from the bedding, white, or an exact match to the wall color if you could find it.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I think you should stick with your rich blue, but add texture with a tiny dot, like one of these (whichever one is actually the right tone). They're all from the Online Fabric Store.

The link is to their site, sorted by blue and by dots.

Pindler & Pindler Loredana in Cornflower:

Robert Allen Diamond Dot in Peacock:

R. Allen Patty Ann in Dresden:

and R. Allen Spring Peepers:

Here is a link that might be useful: Online Fabric Store - blue dot fabrics

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    11 years ago

I think they look really elegant and match the headboards quite well. If you decide to reupholster them one thing to keep in mind is how dirty luggage can get. I never put our wheeled luggage or checked bags on our beds or upholstered furniture and have spent a lot of time campaigning for this with my husband, as well.

Just imagine what those bags have been dragged through. Airports, train stations, baggage carousels, buses, public bathrooms, city streets...ugh!!

seagrass

• caminnc
    11 years ago

If they were mine I would do cow hide or leather. If you want fabric that is extremely durable you might consider Crypton Fabric or Sunbrella. Linen would also look fabulous.

You got those headboards for $25.00? You go girl!!!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Protecting luggage benches is a really good use for those old linen hand towels you have and rarely use...a nice, old fashioned touch to spread a clean, crisply pressed dresser scarf or hand towel under a suitcase.

I leave one on the bench when guest are expected, and spread it when I show them to their rooms, so they know what to do without being told.

• kellyeng
    11 years ago

Those benches are perfect in size and composition. So yes, great job!

I think you really need a pop of color in that room. Red, light green, yellow . . . something. Or even a stark white.

Below is an idea of what the room would look like with more color. I know, it's way too much for you but even scaled back color would benefit the room. Just food for thought.
    {{!gwi}}

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Love them! What a steal. The only things I would change in the room are the pictures over the beds and the lamp. More pictures, less lamp.

One day I will post a picture of my blah guest room to get suggestions.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lovely choices B...thx!

Good point, seagrass and pal...I think the vinyl has that going for it from that point of view.

Mtn, I'm kind of afraid of duck as I think a non vinyl solid will really show the dirt....

How about a faux ostrich?

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Skin, or feathers...?
    :>)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Annie, what a find! Those are absolutely marvelous and once recovered will be even better. Love the shape and metal finish. Congratulations!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks kellyeng for doing the photo shop. I really appreciate it. But you're right, it's way too much for me. The room right now is soft and gentle and that's the way it needs to stay. When guests come here, they have only one job and that is to relax and enjoy themselves. Keeping the room calm is part of it. Right now, the pics don't really show it, but when you walk in the room, it really feels terrific. It's actually the best bedroom in the house.

dedtired, you're right about the lamp and pics. I've been searching but not yet finding a bargain on end tables for the room and I'd put them on the far side of the beds with a lamp on each rather than just the one. A neighbor of mine is a graphic artist and he has taken some terrific pics of our barn in the snow. I want to ask him to enlarge and print them for me so I can have them framed and hang them over the bed. Perhaps that will add the pop of color that kelly is looking for too.

I took this one, but it's very similar to his. But you get a sense of the colors.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

I like them! Congrats on your find.

• Lyban zone 4
    11 years ago

Annie
    What a great find.
    I like them exactly as they are.
    The guest room is perfect.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Resist the "pop!"

This is my new motto.

I love the serenity of your monochromatic scheme.

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

I think something with some bolder colors and more of a modern look might be interesting...I thought of the silk Oscar De La Renta fabric from last week on Project Runway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oscar DLR fabric

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow that is bold, julie. But it's not where I'm going at all in this space... the color scheme is definitely pale yellow with shades of blue. I want it to stay soft and cozy...not inject it with too much energy. Serenity is where I'm going.

• bethohio3
    11 years ago

I think they look great--if I lived closer I'd pick up a few for our guest room!

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

I LOVE that bedding. The benches are great. I agree with the idea of using a pretty fabric that compliments the bedding. You are talking about such a small amount of fabric and labor that I think this is that rare situation where your only consideration should be what looks best. A few good coats of scotch guard is going to give you all the protection you need. By the time they get dirty or stained, it would be nice to change the fabric for a new look anyway.

• tinker_2006
    11 years ago

Benches are great, I might reupholster them... bedding is beautiful, and I really love your window treatments.. I wouldn't have thought of that!

• erinsean
    11 years ago

Love your benches.....Someday you could upholster them and I would do it in a leather or vinyl...easy cleaning. I see your lamp is brass.....how about painting it black or even the grey of the legs of your benches. I have seen some brass lamps that look very good painted.

• rosie
    11 years ago

Terrific, Annie. I'm really struck by the strength duplicating the items symmetrically brings to the design. If it were only one bed, headboard, etc., etc., it would need something, actually a lot, more to create a satisfying picture. Doubling everything--compelling. Did very good. :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update on guest room. Following up on your recommendations, I ordered end tables from overstock and then put smaller lamps on them, one on each side, to continue with the symmetry. I then made a table skirt that matches the valances for a round table which I put between the beds. (That was fun...I picked a vine-like decorative stitch to use on the hem...took 40 min to sew!) I swapped out the smaller pics for a single larger one....love Bierstadt...resisting any urge to add a pop of color...

Question: I need to put something on the round table now to keep it interesting, but don't want to put anything that's fragile or might be knocked over. Also, I don't want to add too much as the point is to have space for guests to put their stuff...book or magazine or whatever. So I found the wooden kitty in my stash of stuff and added him there. Is he enough? Do I need more? Something taller instead? I have plenty of the solid navy fabric that I used in the valance....should I make a square table topper out of the navy over the yellow print?

Rest of room...the color on the benches is actually in the area rug....

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I'd put the things everyone forgets to put in the guest room.
    A pretty covered tissue box, and a small ceramic or glass pitcher and a drinking glass or two.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

I think this room needs more brown. I'd put a box of chocolates on the table. ;)

Seriously. I do put chocolates in the guest room.

• tripletmom83
    11 years ago

Annie, what a gorgeous room! Only one problem, your guests are never going to want to leave.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol, may flowers! That would be my favorite way of adding brown to the room too!

Only thing is, if the guests don't eat them...I will!

I remember that one hotel I stayed at where they greeted you at check in with a chocolate chip cookie....YUM!

• Gracie
    11 years ago

It really is a very nice way to say welcome to your guests, especially if you have a good local chocolate shop. It doesn't need to be a very big box either. Cookies are good too!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, B, but I've got those things covered...drinking glasses are in the en suite bath and the way you get into the room there's a bit of a wide hallway opposite the closets and I have a vanity with mirror set up there...tissues, q tips and cotton balls at the ready. In the bath, I have a basket of goodies in case guests have forgotten anything....toothpaste, tooth brush, mouthwash, etc. And I got 2 of those one size fits all cotton terry robes in the closet...

I'd love to turn this into a B&B but the town won't let us...in fact we had to sign a paper before we could get our building permit saying we wouldn't even intend such a thing.

• oceanna
    11 years ago

Yes! They are adorable and the room looks charming and welcoming. Can't believe that's all you paid for the headboards. You're quite the shopper!

Why not slip-cover the cute little benches? That way you can always toss the cover in the laundry, or even change it out seasonally or when you get bored. It would be very easy to sew slip covers for them.

• artydecor
    11 years ago

They are beautiful, but I'd either re-upholster them with navy fabric- to extend the line of the beds- or paint the legs black- to match the rest of your dark furniture.