Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy_bell

Need help with choosing area rug and drapes.

Christy Bell
10 years ago

First question - do you think this area rug is too dark for this room? We don't get much natural light, but our furniture is on the lighter side.

Second question - how would you handle window treatments in this room? If I opted for panels on either side of the fireplace they would hit the hearth on one side. Not sure how to deal with that. Also, patterned or solid drapes? The wall color will be Manchester Tan - very neutral.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rug Choice - I would post a picture of our furniture in the room, but can't get on my iphoto right now!

It's hard to tell in this picture, but the colors in the rug match perfectly to the wall-to-wall carpeting and the fireplace. I'm just concerned because the rug is on the darker side.

This post was edited by christyinco on Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 10:14

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another option - a lighter rug, though not nearly as interesting, IMHO.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I like the darker rug (#1) best, although I think both would work. I don't think the darker one is too dark. Personally, I might try panels on both sides and see how they look draped/spilled over the hearth a little bit. If it looks funny, I'd try to get rods that don't have a center support and push them all the way to the outside of the window when they're open.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I like the darker rug...it picks up the darker rock on your fireplace and will ground the room...the room seems large so I don't think it will be a problem, even without a lot of light.

For the windows, I would do roman shades in a color close to your wall color--solid or a small pattern--you don't want too much going on since the fireplace dominates that wall.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Is your furniture solid colors? I feel the rugs patterns and tones are too similar to the fireplace stone. I'd choose a darker tone and put lush panels on only the outside of each window, the rod would extend to the wall on each side of the window. Treat the two windows with one lush treatment. I think a tone close to the wall color would work well. Then focus on the mantle area to bring in interesting accessories. I think a skimpier one won't live up to the mass of the stonework. It's a lovely room.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Beautiful room. I'm with Joaniepoanie and like the first rug and her idea for roman shades. I'd recommend a relaxed/Euro or waterfall style for a softer look.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

The Thema Rug (first rug) you selected is a flat weave. I not sure about that fringe they've used on the rug. Looks like a different color and inexpensive. The 9x12 rug is $3,399 and that's a lot of money for that rug. I'm wondering if the cavernous size of your room could use a rug with a bit more thickness, and maybe even larger than the 9x12 size. Oh, I guess I assumed that you were getting a wood floor, but now I see that you are putting this rug on wall to wall carpet. Is the carpet a level loop, like a sisal would be?

If you want to create a monochromatic room, that could be very attractive, as long as some of your finishes are dark to complement the beams.

Sorry but I think it was a mistake to allow the hearth of the fireplace to wrap around the side of the fireplace and interfere with the window treatments. If we're dreaming here with no concern about $$, I would hire back the mason and cut back the side ledges even with the edge of the fireplace stone wall. If you don't do this first, you'll have to settle for drapery on only one side of the windows and I'm not sure you'll really be happy with that solution. Those windows look a bit dwarfed in comparison with the size of the room, so a recommended drapery treatment would make the windows appear larger in size.

I would mount bronze or iron rods about a foot down from the beams and hang basketweave textured linen panels on either side of the windows, with woven wood roman shades to match the beam finish, mounted under the drapery panels to control the light and privacy..

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great ideas - thanks! Yes, the carpet stays for now and it is a short pile rug - very dense. Eventually, we will get hardwoods after our dog grows up a bit (and hubby too). They play a lot on the rug and the dog digs into it.

At this point I will have to think about the drapery. I agree with everything that was said about the hearth getting in the way and the windows being dwarfed by the fireplace - they just seem to short to me.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I like valances. (Go ahead and call me old lady...but there it is.)

If the windows are the same, you can do an asymmetrical window treatment with a valance across each one with a single panel on the outside of the window hanging to the floor. Of course your room is not as formal as this one, but this is just to illustrate the idea. The fabric and the style of valance can easily make it more casual/rustic.

{{!gwi}}

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I prefer the darker colored rug.

However, I think the strength of the brown in the wood is such that the room could use some more saturated color to balance it.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

What if you hang bamboo blinds way higher than your actual window, perhaps combined with panels?

Here is a link that might be useful: Outside mount bamboo shades

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes! I love the idea of bamboo shades. I think adding texture would be helpful.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County