Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Looking for swivel rocker

bbstx
9 years ago

Do any of you have a wonderfu swivel rocker? I think I've finally gotten DH to give up his "homage to Frazier's dad" recliner. I am going to replace it with a pair of swivel rockers sharing an ottoman.

I have looked at Jessica Charles, Century, Taylor-King, Lazy-Boy, and C.R. Laine*, but there may be good options that I missed at those sites, or brands I'm not familiar with that would have what I'm looking for.

Here are my requirements: tall back - at least 38"; deep seat - at least 22" (DH is tall), matching ottoman can be had.

Here are my "wants" but not required: english arm - something other than rolled arm; waterfall skirt; loose back pillow but semi-attached will do if I have to; no tightbacks.

Above all, it must not look like it belongs in Granny's house.

I would like to stay under $2,500 per chair, if I can.

I sat in this Century chair at a show house (that one had english arms) and it is just what I want except it only swivels. I called a Century dealer to see if it can be had as a rocker/swivel. It can't.

*I'm skittish about C. R. Laine. My C. R. Laine chesterfield sofa has a sproinging/clicking sound in the back. The retailer tried to fix it. It stayed 'fixed' for about a month and the noise came back. It has now gone back to the factory. My LR looks like a doctor's waiting room. I've put the bedroom chairs where the sofa ought to be.

Comments (18)

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Check out Bradington-Young chairs. I have 4 of their chairs. Two are fabric swivel/glider tub chairs and 2 are leather swivel/glider/recliners. I ordered the tub chairs with customers own fabric and they did a great job making them exactly alike with perfect pattern matching. I have had my chairs for 3 years now and no issues with squeaks or noises. They are comfortable, especially the tub chairs. I like gliders better than rockers.
    A quick look at their website indicated that the Haley Chair pictured below is 40 inches high with a 22 inch deep seat. It swivels, glides and reclines.They have lots of fabric options.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

If you're used to a recliner, a chair with an ottoman is not going to compare for comfort. Get a pair of swivel glider recliners that don't look like recliners and you'll be very pleased with the result.

You can pay $$$ for the Bradington-Young chair or less than $400 for this San Monaco chair that used to be sold at Ashley Furniture

Here is a link that might be useful: Bradington - Young

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I love (have) both Bradington Young and Jessica Charles chairs. I also have used Smith Brothers and I think you could easily stay under 2,500 per chair. They have a few swivel rockers. They are custom made and I can tell you they are extremely well made.

I don't care for this particular fabric but this is an example. Their website shows all their available pieces as well as their fabrics and leathers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smith Brothers

• yayagal
    9 years ago

i just purchased two of these for our t.v. room. Amazingly comfortable and good for the back, they recline and swivel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ekornes

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention - no recliners. As I said, DH is tall. We have been shopping for a new recliner for him for a year. He refuses to have one where the footrest strikes anywhere other than his heels. Most hit him mid-calf or at the ankles which is very uncomfortable for him. His current recliner is a Lazy-Boy because once the footrest is extended, it can be pushed out another 4"-6". It is no longer made (thank goodness!).

I found a Taylor King that was long enough for him, but he didn't like the arms or the cushion welt. I found a Bradington-Young that was close, but there was something he didn't like about it either. We've looked at Hancock Moore and Flexsteel. That nice Duane Collie at The Keeping Room suggested several recliners he thought would work. Nope, nope, and nope. (Do you ever wonder if those Y chromosomes cause irrational obstinance?)

The swivel rocker is a compromise. However, if I could find a swivel rocker with a reclining back that might work.

The chair must swivel. DH has a certain angle and position he wants his chair to be when watching TV. It looks ridiculous to have a chair fixed at that angle. A swivel will allow him to have it at "the optimum viewing angle" but yet allow it to face the room when we have guests. The rocker will allow him to kick back a bit when he feet are on the ottoman.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Any of these chairs turn your head? LOL! ((just teasing!))

Here is a link that might be useful: Mitchell Gold swivel

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

HA! teacats, they all turn my head and DH wouldn't have to turn his head to watch TV. Unfortunately, the ones that are sufficiently tall won't work with our style. Same problem with the Ekornes, yaya, although I've heard they are comfortable.

I'm still sorting through the other links to see if I can find just exactly what I want. Thanks all. Keep sending those links!

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Found this one at Braddington-Young, but I don't think it rocks. And I don't want leather. I couldn't find a fabric option for it. Since B-Y is a division of Hooker, I also looked at Hooker. Nada. But isn't he handsome!

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

Bbstx, we just purchased 2 of the above BY chairs for our lake house in a cream leather. They are extremely comfortable. If I remember correctly, they don't rock.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dee, do the nailheads dig into your elbows? I love the look but wonder about the comfort.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Check this one out, it swivels, rocks, tilt back, does recline but there's also a matching ottoman so you don't have to recline. It is very nice. By Smith brothers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Story and Lee chair

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Would people actually spend more for chairs than daily meals at Red Lobster?

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, RC. I like the shape of that chair, although it is nothing like what I said I was looking for. :-(. The title does refer to it as a "recliner," but from the description, I think it is just a tilt back. That may be better than a rocker!

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

Bbstx, I haven't noticed any problem, but the plastic is still on the chairs. I'll check for that when I go out tomorrow.

BTW, we have 2 tilt back recliners at our primary home, and the tilt back is worthless. If you go that route, make sure the tilt back locks in some way. Ours uses body pressure, and it's impossible to keep it tilted.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

deeinohio, do you recall the brand of your chairs that won't stay put. I need to make sure I avoid them!

Y'all are doing such a good job of calling to mind manufacturers that I had totally forgotten about! Thanks, but don't stop!

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

LOL, Bbstx, the manufacturer went out of business this year so you're safe.

Serena and Lily carry Lee brand chairs and they have 20% off sales, if you wait. Their shipping is high, but I've never compared the chairs with 20% off and delivery with other vendors' prices.

Also, if you go with CR Laine or Century, make sure you get a quote from Lexington Furniture in Kentucky. I have found their prices much cheaper than others--$375 PER CHAIR less than Furniturelandsouth on some Laneventure chairs we got a couple of years ago.

• Jama Hoffman
    2 years ago

I think your husband Aldineust be related. We are looking for the same thing. We have literally driven from Birmingham to Nashville, Montgomery, Huntsville to sit in chairs. Jessica Charles Carrie is the most comfortable so far without being overly large. It looks similar to the photo you put up. The Casey is also nice. We like the swivel glider much better than the swivel rocker. Try them side by side and you will too.