Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tranta1989

Weird [small] apartment layout help!

tranta1989
9 years ago

Hi everyone! I am so lost with this weird layout of my new apartment.
At first glance, it doesnt seem that weird... but as soon as you walk in.. the living room is there and to your left is the dining room area. on the opposite end you have the patio door. Our sectional couch can fit with the back against the breakfast countertop but the tv would have to be right against the window, and still thats very close to the couch and no space for a coffee table. If I put the tv against the wall of the entrance.. I feel like the floating sectional will be right in the middle of the walkway and blocking the patio door a bit. Any ideas of how to make this work? Keep in mind the dimensions arent that big either.. we don't really NEED a dining room either, dont have a dining table, but we do have bar stools for the breakfast counter. I have the sectional couch, tv stand and tv, and need space for a work desk. Thanks for any help!!

Comments (16)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

How big is the sectional? Can it be broken up and used as 2 separate pieces?

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

So you're going to use the entire layout shown as the "living room". Including all the dining area, except the breakfast counter. Am I reading this right?

• tranta1989
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the sectional is the whole length of the breakfast counter when we put the back of it towards the counter, so about 8' 6" and cannot be broken up into sections. but the connecting ottoman piece that makes one end into a chaise can be moved to be on either side or even in the middle. like this sofa

• tranta1989
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes we can use the entire living room and dining room space, but our sectional seems to be too long to float and to have enough space between the couch and tv.

• mjlb
    9 years ago

What a dreadful layout! I feel like I've seen it before, tho' -- maybe a nice-looking complex in Virginia. How low are your window sills?

Are you normally very neat? I could see buying a dining table / desk combination to handle to your work needs, but only if you can put away work to enjoy your home when not working.

• tranta1989
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dreadful indeed!! I would estimate my windows to be about 2 ft from the floor? I don't particularly need a dining table but having the couch and tv in the dining room leaves no space for a coffee table and a tight squeeze, having the couch in the living room seems to create a weird walkway because it will be kind of in the middle of everything.

• mjlb
    9 years ago

That looks like an enormous screened porch -- are you in a climate such that the porch could be additional living space?

• mjlb
    9 years ago

Now that I see that the ottoman can go in the middle of the sofa, I think I'd place the sofa at right angle to fireplace, facing in general direction of the screened porch. It looks as though that would leave room to walk behind the sofa to reach the dining area. And the TV (assuming it's not huge) could go opposite, but it would partially block one of your windows.

• tranta1989
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh our layout doesnt have a fireplace, that wall is just one wall with the window at the end

• tranta1989
    Original Author
    9 years ago

this is what I can mock up digitally but not sure if the dimensions are exactly right... it looks like more space on paper than it feels

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Try the sectional parallel to the door to the screen porch, leaving just enough walkway to use the door.

• tranta1989
    Original Author
    9 years ago

that means if you sit on the couch, you'll be staring at the entrance door, the tv will be to your right

• andee_gw
    9 years ago

Can you get rid of the sectional and buy some furniture better suited to the space?

• bpath
    9 years ago

I don't see how you can do anything but put the sofa on the long wall, the TV cabinet on that bit of wall between slider and dining room angled toward the sofa, and a table/desk in front of the dining room window (I love having a window in front of my workspace). But that depends on the size of your screen, and the TV stand.

Either that, or trade in the sofa for a couple of recliners. Much easier to arrange in an odd space.

Love the screened porch, you lucky duck!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

You probably won't like this idea, but...
    I would put the sectional on the longest wall across from the sliding door with the ottoman portion on the end farthest from the entry door and a coffee table in front. I would put the television in the bedroom and not try to shoehorn it into the living room.

Use the dining room for your office with a table for a desk so you can use the table for other purposes.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd get rid of the TV cabinet and get an articulating arm mount for the TV. That will free up some space, and even make TV viewing more flexible.

I'd then put the sectional on the long wall, where you now have the TV stand, so that it is facing outward toward the porch door.

How big is the TV? Can the articulating arm go in the space between the window and the porch door?

Desk in the dining area.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County