Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fourhappy

Furniture placement question

fourhappy
9 years ago

How would you place the furniture in the family room in the my floor plan ( upper left is family room).
It's open to the kitchen. There is a double sided fireplace in the room (the other side of the fireplace is another living room). This is our family room though and the TV is above the fireplace. In the back of the room opposite the fire place I'm doing some built in bookshelves/cabinets for storage and a window seat at the window.

Comments (13)

• fourhappy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

to add we have a sofa and will have a leather recliner (coffee and end tables)

• fourhappy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

any suggestions, or not enough information?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Here's a suggestion.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

Are you going to have a TV? How big is the room. How much space on either side of the window. How big is window. Is this new build? Can the DR table rotate 90 degrees?

• fourhappy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

it is not a new build but a renovation. We are bumping the back walls out to make the space bigger (you can see the dotted line in the upper part going from the french doors to the table and across to almost the cooktop - that's the existing wall and the family room side is getting bumped out about half of that (it already bumps out a little more than the kitchen).

the window size i am not sure of - currently in that spot is a sliding glass door that we are replacing with windows instead so I can do whatever size I want.

I think the room is approximately 19feet from window/built in wall to fireplace and about 16.5 feet from the length of the builtin areas. I think that the kitchen table can be rotated 90 degrees in the pic.

the tv is above the fireplace.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

Sorry, I missed the TV over the fireplace! If that is where you want to keep it, I really like Beverly's layout. It feels very open and people friendly.

• western_pa_luann
    9 years ago

IDK... the table with the six chairs looks awkward there. It eats up floor space (as placed it is partially in the family room), and blocks pathways.

Without it, you might be able to place furniture so that more than two people can actually watch TV.

Do you want your window seat blocked by furniture?

• fourhappy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i really don't want to lose the kitchen table there - we have a dining room on the other side of the kitchen but it's not used as much - we eat the majority of our every day meals now at the kitchen table or counter. We have our 4th child on the way so wanted table seating for 6 there.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Turn the kitchen table.

• fourhappy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

do you think it would look weird if i just had one chair there. The chair that DH wants to get is pretty expensive. i would save up maybe for another one, but he wants a leather recliner and I don't love leather all that much and then to have 2 side by side...

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Well heck, if the theme is a garden, then that "Blossom Toss" paintable wallpaper is perfect! You could even paint the flowers themselves different colors, although that would take time. But so cute! The bookshelf is adorable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blossom Toss Paintable Wallpaper

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

If you turn the table, would you have room to put the sofa facing the long wall? Put the TV on the long wall, your husband' s recliner next to the shelf unit on an angle facing the TV. Then add 2 chairs flanking the fireplace.
    You could skip the shelves on the window wall, or not! Add them to the TV wall.

• fourhappy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Karen - that's ideally how I would like to do it instead of having the tv on the fireplace, but I have a very vocal (opinionated about certain things) husband who is very much in favor of having it above the fireplace. He loves two ..or three things the most in the room - chair, tv and fireplace so he wants to be able to see the fire while watching tv. maybe he's strange :) We went through all this trouble a couple years ago to have it mounted and all the cables run down the wall so that everything is located in the basement and all that jazz...

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!