Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
youngdeb_gw

Fireplace screen for modern walnut-paneled wall?

youngdeb
13 years ago

We put this fireplace in last year, and just never finished it off with a safety screen...I just got tired of making decisions. Now I'm revisiting in the hopes that we could actually have a fire in it this winter...poor DH was prohibited from doing so last year...I'm kind of weird about fire safety.

So here is the wall, and the two options. For each option, I can choose black, brushed nickel, or several other options. I think black, but I'm undecided on the right choice. Thoughts?

Here's the room, the fireplace is on the left:

Option 1:

Option 2 (will also need a metal frame around it, so imagine this with another frame):

Comments (8)

• annzgw
    13 years ago

Is this a wood burning fireplace? If so, I prefer the sliding design for easy access. I find it cumbersome to deal with swinging doors and firewood.
    Also, if it's wood burning, you'll need a hearth rug (or hearth) to catch any embers that may pop out.

• mjsee
    13 years ago

Option one...but perhaps with brushed nickel/chrome rather than brass. (To match the other metal I see in the room) Black would probably work as well. Clean, functional...true to the style in the room.

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

I love your house and would enjoy seeing more of it! There are more and more modern/MCM folks on these boards every day.

Option #1 is more old-school MCM. It is also flush and doesn't require swinging the screens into the room. But it wouldn't do much to keep kids from the flames.

Option #2 is more modern-looking, and more of a barrier if there are kids.

• youngdeb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the opinions! Of course you all are picking the cheaper option, so I'm loving it! There are kids, of course...but I'm kind of banking on the layout preventing them from being directly in front of the fireplace while rough housing.

mjsee - if the floor is tile, why do I need a hearth rug? I am honestly asking...I don't have much experience with fires/fireplaces, so I don't know what's required. One thought I did have was to get a pull-out tray below the grate to catch ash to try to keep the wall around it cleaner when we have to clean out the ash.

jakabedy - you can see a little of the house in my clippings - it's a 50's ranch, not a MCM, but we tend to keep things pretty cleanlined.

Thanks, guys!

Deb

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

jakabedy beat me to it :) I'll go look at your clippings. We're going to do a walnut wrap around some freestanding PAX closets in our bedroom - your pic is inspiration to be sure.

The 1st option would be a good visual deterrent, and definitely a flying-ash-deterrent from the other direction, but you might want it in black unless you want to call attention to it.

Functionally: hinged doors, unless they have a stay on the hinge, can be a PITA when trying to work inside the firebox, say, when rearranging logs...they'd be hot and rather a bother.

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

Is that just drywall on the face of the firebox opening? I'm not sure that's to code. . . and I'm thinking it's going to get dirty and sooty and gouged when you're putting wood in and taking ash out. I love those elevated fireplaces, but they're usually not wood-burning. Have you considered tiling around the firebox? Maybe with some slate, or a glass mosaic?

• youngdeb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's not drywall - you're right, that wouldn't be up to code at all! It's plaster, which is perfectly fine up to the edge of a fp. I feel like tile would totally throw off the symmetry.

We don't do a lot of fires, just a couple of times a year (we live in Dallas, very mild winters.) I am trying to make it easier to keep clean, but we can also be pretty careful when we do make fires. I was thinking about getting a tray for under the grate to gather the ash...surely that will make it easier to clean?

• porgie71
    12 years ago

Hi - love your style. Can you tell me what your gray tile is. I'm looking for a similar color gray.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone